Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 449875 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4425 on: August 04, 2024, 02:01:24 pm »
Made my Amarillo IPA today.  This is one of the two beers that I use whole hop cones in (the other is my wet hoped IPA). 

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4426 on: August 04, 2024, 04:46:09 pm »
I made an International Pale Lager yesterday with 90’ mash and 30 minute boil.  Re-pitched S-189 arveted that morning from a Helles….
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4427 on: August 13, 2024, 07:16:18 pm »
Made my “American Bitter”

5 gal batch in keg/cask

8lb Maris Otter No. 19
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt
0.25 lb 135 L crystal

0.6 oz HBC 342 for bittering -FWH
1.0 oz Citra dryhop cask/keg
X amt of Lemongrass in cask/keg
(Asking for input)

WYeast 1968

Note:  Been leaving out “flavor and aroma” hops in the boil and instead have been dry hopping for aroma and flavor.  Tend to like those more for the Citra Mosaic type hops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4428 on: August 13, 2024, 07:20:35 pm »
The wife is off in Walla Walla for a five day holiday weekend of wine tasting with her gal pals, so I took advantage of her absence and brewed today.

As discussed in a recent thread, I made a split batch of dark ruby mild (nod to Sarah Hughes) and spruce beer.

10 gallons, OG 1.060

23.5 lbs. Fawcett Golden Promise
3.5 lbs. Briess 120°L crystal

Mash for 75 min at 156°F. Batch sparge to collect 12 gallons of pre-boil wort. Boil for 90 min.

2 oz. Challenger 90 min
2 oz. Fuggles 30 min

At this point, drain 2 gallons of wort to a smaller kettle and boil for 10 minutes with 1 lb. of Colorado blue spruce tips. The remainder of the wort:

2 oz. UK Goldings 20 min

Chill, draw off 5 gallons of wort, oxygenate, then add 1318 yeast slurry.  Add remaining 2 gallons of spruce wort back to the kettle, run the chiller for 15 minutes, then draw off spruce beer wort into another bucket, oxygenate, and add 1469/1450 yeast slurry.

Going outside of my comfort zone, as I have never used this much crystal malt. Ever since I migrated into 10 gallon batches 12 years ago, I generally have stuck with tweaking tried and true beers I love recipes.

FWIW, spruce tips in boiling wort smell incredible. ;D
So how did the Ruby Mild turn out.  Had some Sarah Hugh’s at the Real ale fest in Chicago many many years ago.  Still remember the HUGE amount of diacetyl but it worked.  Not sure if it always has that much in the beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4429 on: August 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm »
I haven't been online in a while, but I brewed my first beer in a few months last weekend. It was my first time getting to brew with the malt I got from Murphy & Rude a while back, so I'm really looking forward to see how it turns out.

Oktoberfest
3 gallon batch

3.5lb Murphy & Rude Munich 9L
3 lb Murphy & Rude Vienna
15g Murphy & Rude Cimmerian Black (huskless barley, comparable to Carafa Special III)

60 min Sterling to ~24 IBU
0 min Sterling 0.5 oz

W-34/70, 15 PSI, 68F

I'll transfer to keg and start lagering in another week or so. It sure smelled/tasted good on brew day so I'm holding out high hopes on this one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer