Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 443390 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4395 on: May 05, 2024, 09:56:43 am »
some session mead is up next. im thinking more and more trying to hit right around 5% and no higher

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4396 on: May 08, 2024, 03:54:28 pm »
Up next:  Another Mexican lager this time to get me close to Victoria.  I've made this beer for about 10+ years.  Avangard Pilsner Malt, Swaen Munich 2, flaked corn, Hallertau hops and Omega 113.  Here's a shot of a batch from 2020...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4397 on: May 17, 2024, 08:41:13 am »
I posted a pic of a dark lager on the prior page and I had planned to brew it but I had a dark lager on tap and a dark ale on deck so I held off.  I think I will make that beer later this afternoon.  Pilsner, flaked corn, a bit of dark crystal and some Carafa III added at the end of the mash, Magnum and Hallertau and Omega 113.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4398 on: May 17, 2024, 09:12:13 am »
Retroactively posting for last weekend. I brewed a 60% pils/40% unmalted rye sour beer. It is lambic style, minus subbing rye for wheat, complete with turbid mash. I expected the early runnings around 113f and 126c to be goopy messes due to the rye but it wasn't any different from wheat. Aged hops in the boil were a mix of homegrown cascades from 2016 and a mix of low alpha German hops from 2017. Pitched 3278 and it will sit for probably 18-24 months before I get into it.

This beer is the start of resuming my sour blending program. The next beer will be the same thing but with unmalted wheat. The other two beers to join are a brown ale modeled off the oud bruin recipe in Wild Brews and a pale ale. All four beers will become continuous blends in their individual vessels.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4399 on: May 17, 2024, 01:26:49 pm »
Retroactively posting for last weekend. I brewed a 60% pils/40% unmalted rye sour beer. It is lambic style, minus subbing rye for wheat, complete with turbid mash. I expected the early runnings around 113f and 126c to be goopy messes due to the rye but it wasn't any different from wheat. Aged hops in the boil were a mix of homegrown cascades from 2016 and a mix of low alpha German hops from 2017. Pitched 3278 and it will sit for probably 18-24 months before I get into it.

This beer is the start of resuming my sour blending program. The next beer will be the same thing but with unmalted wheat. The other two beers to join are a brown ale modeled off the oud bruin recipe in Wild Brews and a pale ale. All four beers will become continuous blends in their individual vessels.

That sounds awesome. As soon as I have a stable (temperature and location) space to store them, I hope to start something similar.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4400 on: May 17, 2024, 07:39:14 pm »
Planned for tomorrow:

Extract Alabambic
Mixed-Fermentation Sour Beer

5.0% / 9.9 °P

Extract Batch Volume: 11 L
Boil Time: 30 min

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.002
IBU (Tinseth): 11
BU/GU: 0.27
Color: 2.8 SRM

Extracts (1.18 kg)
1.02 kg (86.5%) — Briess Pilsen Light — Dry Extract — 2.1 °L
100 g (8.5%) — Briess Sparkling Amber — Dry Extract — 8.3 °L
60 g (5.1%) — Maltodextrin — Sugar — 2.8 °L — Boil — 30 min

Hops (14 g)
14 g (11 IBU) — Willamette 3.9% — Boil — 30 min

Yeast
1 pkg — Bootleg Biology Sour Solera Blend

Fermentation
Primary — 22 °C — 21 days
Secondary — 22 °C — 120 days

Carbonation: 3 CO2-vol

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4401 on: May 22, 2024, 04:59:05 pm »
I just transferred my Guava mead to secondary. It smells amazing, but I was hoping it would pick up a bit more pink color off of the pulp I used.

Tomorrow I'll be starting a Soursop mead now that i freed up my primary fermenter. I honestly have never tried soursop, but this string of tropocal fruit meads I've been making this year have been amazing, so i'm looking forward to another.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4402 on: May 22, 2024, 06:04:33 pm »
...a Soursop mead...

It's not often I learn about a completely new (to me) fruit. I had to google that one.

“the flavor of the fruit has been described as a combination of strawberries and apple with sour citrus flavor notes”

It sounds really interesting.
The Other Drew

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4403 on: May 22, 2024, 07:04:29 pm »
...a Soursop mead...

It's not often I learn about a completely new (to me) fruit. I had to google that one.

“the flavor of the fruit has been described as a combination of strawberries and apple with sour citrus flavor notes”

It sounds really interesting.

Yes, although as far as fruit goes that description is as close to 'tastes like chicken" as you can get. It's also commonly known as guanabana. I know I see cans of guanabana nectar fairly often in the Hispanic foods section. It may be uncommon to me, but I think it's pretty common in Latin America and Southeast Asia.
Eric B.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4404 on: May 22, 2024, 08:34:39 pm »
I got a pack each of WLP300 & 351 Hefe yeasts. Gonna brew a 10 gal batch and split it, to decide which one I like better.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Online dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4405 on: May 22, 2024, 08:55:42 pm »
I just transferred my Guava mead to secondary. It smells amazing, but I was hoping it would pick up a bit more pink color off of the pulp I used.

Tomorrow I'll be starting a Soursop mead now that i freed up my primary fermenter. I honestly have never tried soursop, but this string of tropocal fruit meads I've been making this year have been amazing, so i'm looking forward to another.
I made a pineapple/mango mead a few years ago and it didn’t turn out very well. Maybe I should have used more fruit or maybe I used too much. It had a hard to describe weird taste and the mango was lost. I would be curious to know your honey to fruit ratio and the strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4406 on: May 24, 2024, 01:24:16 pm »

I made a pineapple/mango mead a few years ago and it didn’t turn out very well. Maybe I should have used more fruit or maybe I used too much. It had a hard to describe weird taste and the mango was lost. I would be curious to know your honey to fruit ratio and the strength.
I've heard that pineapple can give unpredictable results in fermentation because of the enzymes it contains (bromelain - a protease often used as a meat tenderizer). I do have some pineapple puree, and plan to use it in future meads, but I haven't yet. That may explain the weird taste you got.

I'm starting a post in the "Other Fermentables" with more details on this run of meads I'm doing, so I'll leave the specifics on those over there.
Eric B.

Online dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4407 on: May 24, 2024, 01:32:16 pm »

I've heard that pineapple can give unpredictable results in fermentation because of the enzymes it contains (bromelain - a protease often used as a meat tenderizer). I do have some pineapple puree, and plan to use it in future meads, but I haven't yet. That may explain the weird taste you got.

I'm starting a post in the "Other Fermentables" with more details on this run of meads I'm doing, so I'll leave the specifics on those over there.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Dan Chisholm

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4408 on: May 24, 2024, 03:33:47 pm »

Thanks, I appreciate that.

FWIW, I can say definitively that Dole Pineapple juice is very reliable. I have made a handful of beers with it, and it comes thru beautifully.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4409 on: May 28, 2024, 09:32:55 am »
Yesterday I brewed a Czech pilsner.

10 gallons, OG 1.054

17 lbs. Weyermann pilsner malt
2 lbs. Viking Vienna malt
1 lb. Viking Munich malt

Mash at 153°F for 90 min. Batch sparge. Simmered the wort for 3 hours.

4 oz. Saaz FWH
2.5 oz. Clusters 60 min
3 oz. Saaz 15 min
3 oz. Saaz 1 min

Split into two fermentors. Pitched 2 packets of Diamond lager into one, 1 pack of Urkell Imperial yeast into the other. First time using Urkell - I'm looking forward to it. Both fermentors are in my small chest freezer with the temperature set at 48°F to 52°F.