Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 443435 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4335 on: February 18, 2024, 10:59:30 am »
All Willamette APA: Golden Promise, Carahell, WY1450

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4336 on: February 18, 2024, 11:33:13 am »
Simpson?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4337 on: February 18, 2024, 11:56:56 am »
I brewed an Irish Stout for a Club event in March at a bookstore. It must be 15 years since I brewed a lower gravity stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4338 on: February 18, 2024, 12:16:01 pm »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4339 on: February 22, 2024, 05:15:55 pm »
Yesterday I took advantage of 61° F weather in Montana, and brewed a tripel:

OG 1.070, 10 gallons

20 lbs. Gallatin Valley pilsner malt
2 lbs. Weyermann Bohemian pilsner malt (using up leftovers)
1 lb. Weyermann melanoidin malt
1 lb. Dingemann biscuit malt

Mash at 153°F for 90 min. Batch sparge to collect 14 gallons.

3 oz. Willamette boil
4 lb. cane sugar 20 min
4 oz. Strisselspalt 20 min

Boiled for four hours to reduce to 10 gallons.

Split between WY387 Trappist and a new yeast for me Bootleg Biology OB Belgian, which is supposed to be for Oud Bruin. I plan to use both yeast cakes for 5 gallons of Belgian quad.

That makes 20 gallons of beer brewed in the past two weeks, and the quad will make 25. Trying to get my keezer well stocked as I am scheduled for knee replacement surgery January 8. The first 20 gallons will be kegged, if the quad isn't quite ready I will rack it into a 5-gallon glass carboy for a long secondary fermentation.

Interesting to see melaniodin and biscuit. If it was anyone else, I'd think they were crazy. But since I know you're crazy....😁

To follow up on this, I just did a side-by-side tasting of Brewery Ommegang's Belgian Essence tripel with my 3787 version of this tripel. To my tastes, my tripel is the clear winner. :-*

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4340 on: February 23, 2024, 06:09:35 pm »
My session IPA. First session IPA of the year

1.044 O.G. 5 US gal

9.5 lbs Maris Otter No 19
0.5 lbs biscuit malt
0.25 lbs dark crystal malt

HBC hops ( FWH )

WYeast 1968

Now here is where I may change

4 oz HBC dryhop
Or
A combination of HBC and Mosaic

May just go with HBC as it is my first time using this variety

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 11:22:27 am by HEUBrewer »

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4341 on: February 24, 2024, 08:56:59 am »
Well.. I was planning to brew my Irish Stout tomorrow, but two days after I placed my order the online supplier emailed me that they oversold Omega Irish Ale.. They're going to sub WLP at no upcharge, but it won't even ship out til Monday. So...

Brewing my 8% American Stout base beer, that will get vanilla bean and loads of toasted coconut in the fermenter. My current "variant" with coffee and cacao is starting to get light  :(  I will miss that beer!

*Style and/or adjuncts subject to change at any moment.   :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 08:58:40 am by John M »
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4342 on: February 25, 2024, 06:10:46 am »
 Brewed a Helles yesterday - my first full strength batch in quite a while…My lower ABV beers remain fully stocked, so I thought why not go big for a comparison.  I’m still happily in the low ABV crowd for most of the styles.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4343 on: February 25, 2024, 08:53:25 am »
Brewed a Helles yesterday - my first full strength batch in quite a while…My lower ABV beers remain fully stocked, so I thought why not go big for a comparison.  I’m still happily in the low ABV crowd for most of the styles.

I brewed a Helles on Feb 4th, did a decoction mash, first time. Currently cold crashing and decided to pull a sample and the results are good IMO. Has a nice malt forward flavor and the hops are def soft but not really subtle, I know that they are there. Nice aftertaste and a decent dryish finish. As soon as this gets kegged then I will be brewing a comparison batch but employing a 3 step mash instead of a decoction. This recipe comes in at 5% abv and so I am wondering what a low abv brew would be? Sub 4%?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4344 on: February 25, 2024, 10:09:52 am »
next beer in a few days is some kind of cascade lager

diamond lager
"quebecoise malt" from canada malting
aiming for 5% and about 35 IBU
mix of cascade and hallertau

more importantly though - ill be making a beer in early march that if anyone has feedback on please let me know

2 packs of verdant IPA
1.081 - aiming for dry FG
~35 IBU

41% 2row
41% vienna malt
3% amber malt
3% crystal 60
5% DME
7% invert sugar

going to put it on 4oz medium american oak cubes for about a month

you can probably guess the flavour profile im aiming for

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4345 on: March 02, 2024, 09:03:41 am »
I think another Oatmeal Stout

Online Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4346 on: March 02, 2024, 02:25:33 pm »
I'm making an approximation of the Denny Kong West Coast IPA (https://www.experimentalbrew.com/2023/06/21/denny-kong-double-dry-hopped-modern-west-coast-ipa/). And by approximation, I mean that I'm not using any of the same hops! Cascade in the whirlpool, and then Eclipse, Idaho #7 hop hash, LUPOMAX Azacca and LUPOMAX Citra in the dry hop. No dip hopping, either...

I snagged a few cans of the original when it was in stock at my local liquor store (the *awesome* Liquorama in Upland, California), and it was a superb beer.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4347 on: March 02, 2024, 03:36:20 pm »
I'm making an approximation of the Denny Kong West Coast IPA (https://www.experimentalbrew.com/2023/06/21/denny-kong-double-dry-hopped-modern-west-coast-ipa/). And by approximation, I mean that I'm not using any of the same hops! Cascade in the whirlpool, and then Eclipse, Idaho #7 hop hash, LUPOMAX Azacca and LUPOMAX Citra in the dry hop. No dip hopping, either...

I snagged a few cans of the original when it was in stock at my local liquor store (the *awesome* Liquorama in Upland, California), and it was a superb beer.

Glad you enjoyed the DK. As you know, yours won't be at all the same,  but that doesn't mean you can't apply the same ideas. The big takeaways (aside from the hops), are the pils/Vienna blend and the sugar. WY1217 plays a big part, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4348 on: March 02, 2024, 04:20:23 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the DK. As you know, yours won't be at all the same,  but that doesn't mean you can't apply the same ideas. The big takeaways (aside from the hops), are the pils/Vienna blend and the sugar. WY1217 plays a big part, too.

The pils/Vienna blend has made an absolutely killer wort! Getting ready for the boil now...

Your frequent admonition to call something an homage, not a clone, is ringing in my ears today!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4349 on: March 02, 2024, 04:45:47 pm »

The pils/Vienna blend has made an absolutely killer wort! Getting ready for the boil now...

Your frequent admonition to call something an homage, not a clone, is ringing in my ears today!

vienna is only going to grow in popularity. it needs to shake off pre-conceived notions of what its good for. one memorable beer that imho seemed to show off some vienna was a very strong ale i did that had 10% bunch of vienna, 2row and a pound of smoked oak. im on my 3rd iteration of an under 9SRM vienna lager. current one that has fermented is 7 SRM, i think it just turns out more flavourful than pils but very much in the same ballpark