Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 449925 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4305 on: January 01, 2024, 07:56:45 pm »
I just brewed a slightly modified version of the 25th Anniversary Ale from the Maltose Falcons: https://www.maltosefalcons.com/blogs/recipes/25th-anniversary-ipa -- my aim is to have something that is a throwback to the beers I remember loving over two decades ago. I can get lots of great modern IPAs, but the classics are so hard to find anywhere...thank goodness for homebrew!
That is wildly different than a 2023 American IPA.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4306 on: January 02, 2024, 08:19:43 am »
I just brewed a slightly modified version of the 25th Anniversary Ale from the Maltose Falcons: https://www.maltosefalcons.com/blogs/recipes/25th-anniversary-ipa -- my aim is to have something that is a throwback to the beers I remember loving over two decades ago. I can get lots of great modern IPAs, but the classics are so hard to find anywhere...thank goodness for homebrew!
That is wildly different than a 2023 American IPA.

C hops and loads of cara malts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4307 on: January 06, 2024, 10:38:38 am »
Brewing an oatmeal stout this afternoon (the Eagle Face Oatmeal Stout recipe in Zymurgy some years back)
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4308 on: January 18, 2024, 03:53:56 pm »
Will brew a Bavarian Helles Sunday

Soft Water, Double Decoction
98% Crisp Hana Heritage Malt
2% Weyermann Acidulated
90 Min. Boil
Hallertau Mittelfrüh; 21 total BU's @ 75,30,10,WP
34/70 yeast pitched at 50*

This will be my first go at a decoction mash. To say I am excited would be an understatement. I get to pull out the old keggle and propane burner for the double decoction!!
With that said, I will make the exact same recipe 3 weeks later to compare but instead of a decoction I will do a step mash with the same temperature steps and times.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4309 on: January 19, 2024, 06:20:27 am »
I’m gonna make a CAP today, using 20% flaked corn and a cereal decoction, 80% Pils malt, Clusters for bittering and Perle late.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4310 on: January 19, 2024, 12:28:36 pm »
I am a third or so of the way through a sack of Hana Pils from Crisp (a Heritage malt originally from the Czech Republic).  I think I will just make a Helles and see if I can focus on the malt bill to check out the Hana flavor - I usually add a little acid malt for pH and some Carahell 10L (less than 10%) to make it interesting, but this time I may just add a little (a pound say) of Vienna or Light Munich, instead, along with the Hana and acid malt.  Hops will be FWH Magnum (a half ounce) and 10' Mittelfruh (1 ounce) in a hop sack, pulling them out once the wort is down to 160 or so on the drop.

The key will be doing a slow step mash, as a step mash or decoction is recommended by some for this Heritage Malt.  What I think I will do is mash in very low (140 or so) and then after a short rest, just slowly bring the mash through the beta and alpha amylase spectrum (turning down the Foundry's power to about 50%) to end in a mash out - say about a 70 minute total mash.  No recirc, but BIAB in 6 gallons of lightly treated strike water with a gallon of untreated sparge water to rinse the grains.  Thirty minute boil.

Hoping for a good outcome.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4311 on: January 21, 2024, 07:10:11 pm »
Just pitched the yeast on a kolsch...my standby recipe of 95% pilsner malt and 5% Munich mashed at 152 degrees for 60 minutes to hit target gravity of 1.046, Edelweiss hop blend at 60 and 5 to hit 24 IBU, and Lallemand's Koln yeast (RIP). This is a nice style to brew this time of year, to be ready when the spring weather starts warming up.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4312 on: January 21, 2024, 08:16:32 pm »
I made a dark ale today.  Pilsner malt, Special B, Midnight Wheat, Nugget hops early and late to about 25 IBUs, 1056.  Smooth brewday other than the 16° temps.  I was in the garage but it was still a little unpleasant. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4313 on: January 22, 2024, 12:47:18 pm »
Just brewed a Munich Dunkel, 4 gallons worth, first time using the new electric boiler (previously I had always boiled using a propane turkey fryer).  I'm not too pleased with the level of boil (barely a roiling bubble at max setting), but maybe an insulating sleeve will help next time.  Fell short of my target of 1.056, even with an extra 10 minutes boil it was only OG=1.051.  Should be ok though.

Going to split batch it, 2 gallons onto Diamond Lager slurry, another 2 gallons onto the Baja (Modelo??) slurry.

Go Ravens!!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4314 on: January 22, 2024, 01:54:28 pm »
I brewed a Helles with Crisp Hana Pils malt.  Brewday went fine until I discovered my garden hose in my garage was frozen from its last usage (I thought I had drained it fully -- doh), so no immersion chiller.  I just allowed the wort to cool in the ambient temperature of the garage with a door ajar in 16F outdoor temps.  Not ideal, but oh well!  after a couple football games I aerated and pitched some Diamond lager slurry I harvested earlier from a batch.  It was fermenting well at 54F this morning.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4315 on: January 27, 2024, 09:17:39 am »
I just finished a run of 1056 beers yesterday with a cream ale.  All of my kegs are now either full (on deck), partially full (in service) or about to be full (beer fermenting).  A pale ale, blonde ale, hoppy amber ale, another blonde, American wheat, smooth amber ale, dark ale, cream ale.  In some cases I would harvest the yeast from one and pitch half of that in one beer on one day and then a couple days later make another one with the rest of the harvested yeast.  Ales that can ferment plenty cool on the lower level in my place allow for that.  I made 8 batches of ale in 9 weeks.  The holidays saw my supply take a hit so it feels good to re-supply.  Cheers Beerheads. 

EDIT:  Have you ever gotten diacetyl from 1056?  I did.  The beers were fermenting vigorously in cool conditions but I never warmed the beer near the end of fermentation.  I had to take 2 kegs that both had diacetyl and move them upstairs for a few days.  It worked. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 09:20:21 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4316 on: January 27, 2024, 11:00:59 am »
I just finished a run of 1056 beers yesterday with a cream ale.  All of my kegs are now either full (on deck), partially full (in service) or about to be full (beer fermenting).  A pale ale, blonde ale, hoppy amber ale, another blonde, American wheat, smooth amber ale, dark ale, cream ale.  In some cases I would harvest the yeast from one and pitch half of that in one beer on one day and then a couple days later make another one with the rest of the harvested yeast.  Ales that can ferment plenty cool on the lower level in my place allow for that.  I made 8 batches of ale in 9 weeks.  The holidays saw my supply take a hit so it feels good to re-supply.  Cheers Beerheads. 

EDIT:  Have you ever gotten diacetyl from 1056?  I did.  The beers were fermenting vigorously in cool conditions but I never warmed the beer near the end of fermentation.  I had to take 2 kegs that both had diacetyl and move them upstairs for a few days.  It worked.

Nope, never have.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4317 on: January 27, 2024, 11:25:07 am »
diamond yeast

94% vienna malt
4% amber malt
2% acid malt

1.054 og

~30IBU

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4318 on: January 27, 2024, 12:55:53 pm »
Nope, never have.
I think my next-door neighbor might be diacetyl.  He shows up when you least expect it and he's not someone you really like to see.  :D  Seriously though, I have had more than my fair share of it and I would have never, ever! expected to get it from 1056.  But I did.  So the lesson is that no matter what beer I make or which yeast was used, I need to move the fermenter to a warmer spot at or near the end of fermentation no matter what.  This could have just been "winter conditions" and it's cooler in my place overall and maybe I wouldn't have this if it was summer.  But I'm doing a "rest" on every batch from now on. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4319 on: January 27, 2024, 01:00:01 pm »
Nope, never have.
I think my next-door neighbor might be diacetyl.  He shows up when you least expect it and he's not someone you really like to see.  :D  Seriously though, I have had more than my fair share of it and I would have never, ever! expected to get it from 1056.  But I did.  So the lesson is that no matter what beer I make or which yeast was used, I need to move the fermenter to a warmer spot at or near the end of fermentation no matter what.  This could have just been "winter conditions" and it's cooler in my place overall and maybe I wouldn't have this if it was summer.  But I'm doing a "rest" on every batch from now on.

I have fermented 1056 at 55F and not gotten d. Must be your neighborhood!  😄
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell