Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 449920 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4290 on: December 21, 2023, 04:40:37 pm »
Brewing that Belgian quad that I mentioned above in my December 6 post above. It's wonderful to be brewing beer outdoors in Montana on the Winter Solstice. We've had an incredibly nice fall after our October 25 blizzard.

Brew chickens are happily pecking on hot spent grains.

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4291 on: December 22, 2023, 05:17:35 pm »
Brewing that Belgian quad that I mentioned above in my December 6 post above. It's wonderful to be brewing beer outdoors in Montana on the Winter Solstice. We've had an incredibly nice fall after our October 25 blizzard.

Brew chickens are happily pecking on hot spent grains.
That sounds fantastic!  :)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4292 on: December 23, 2023, 11:22:18 am »
Beautiful pup!  My friend has a "tripod" pitty mix- I assume yours is too!  Such loving dogs.

Thanks, she's such a sweetheart.  I think she's a full pit.  Below is perhaps a better representation of what she looks like.  Sadly, we lost our Matilda a few months ago to a brain tumor.  We'll never have another dog like her; she was one in a million.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4293 on: December 26, 2023, 01:54:20 pm »
Brewing a Czech Pils today. CMC Superior Pilsen, 20% Best Munich, 2% Carapils Copper/Carapils mix (I ran out of the copper). 34 IBU GR Saaz in equal weight at 60, 15, 1 and S-189 SNS starter from slurry. 1056 OG.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 03:51:07 pm by tommymorris »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4294 on: December 26, 2023, 06:52:28 pm »
Last weekend I brewed on Friday evening and as I was pitching the harvested 1056, I decided to add just half of the volume (plenty) so I might get a little wild and brew the next day and pitch the rest then.  So on Friday I brewed a very pale-colored amber beer .. pilsner malt, wheat and about 8 ounces of C60.  SRM of around 6 give or take.  Nugget hops and late Crystal hops.  On Saturday I made a Blonde Ale with Pilsner malt, Vienna and then Mandarina Bavaria both early and late.  So no brewing again until sometime the weekend of 1/5.  Cheers Beerheads.

Ps.  Cute pups in these pics. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 06:54:14 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4295 on: December 30, 2023, 09:00:10 am »
My wife brewed an American Amber Ale yesterday and I was her assistant. It is a style that you just don’t see around much anymore. When I looked at my notes, I haven’t brewed one in over 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4296 on: December 30, 2023, 10:36:10 am »
Just mashed in a Westmalle style tripel. No lactose or donuts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4297 on: December 30, 2023, 02:27:09 pm »
bitter pils, hit all the specs. 99% weyermann pils, 1% acid malt

aiming for 40-43 IBU 1.047 OG

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4298 on: December 30, 2023, 03:44:23 pm »
Tuesday or so I'm brewing an homage to Harvey's Sussax bitter.  Had some wonderful Pints of it in London last month.

Warminster Marris Otter, Simpsons Dark Crystal, a little flaked corn, Brambling Cross and EKG hops. Don't have anything like Harvey's yeast, so using WLP Buton Ale.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4299 on: December 31, 2023, 08:22:54 am »
Brewed a Helles yesterday with the Crisp Hana pils malt.  Anxious to see how it tastes compared to my typical pils malt.  Cheers and Happy New Year/brew year to all!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4300 on: December 31, 2023, 09:16:09 am »
Tuesday or so I'm brewing an homage to Harvey's Sussax bitter.  Had some wonderful Pints of it in London last month.

Warminster Marris Otter, Simpsons Dark Crystal, a little flaked corn, Brambling Cross and EKG hops. Don't have anything like Harvey's yeast, so using WLP Buton Ale.

Where are you sourcing the Bramling Cross hops?  I’ve often looked for them in all the usual places but they never seem to be “in stock”.  Would love to try them someday.

For those that have used them, and assuming I can’t source them, what hops would you consider a substitute?  (knowing full well that there is never an exact match).

Willamette
EKG
Pilgrim (which I love)

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4301 on: December 31, 2023, 10:08:48 am »

Where are you sourcing the Bramling Cross hops?  I’ve often looked for them in all the usual places but they never seem to be “in stock”.  Would love to try them someday.

For those that have used them, and assuming I can’t source them, what hops would you consider a substitute?  (knowing full well that there is never an exact match).

Willamette
EKG
Pilgrim (which I love)

my homebrew club has access to them, but i just missed the recent buy deadline, so perhaps some kind of homebrew group buy?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4302 on: December 31, 2023, 10:30:54 am »

Willamette
EKG
Pilgrim (which I love)

Bought a lb from MI Hop Alliance. Now shows sold out. They have 2 of the 11 lb bags left, sometimes they break those down into pounds, but with only 2 left I don't know if they will.

https://hopalliance.com/collections/all-hops/products/bramling-cross-uk-hop-pellets-2022?
variant=40101743886470

I looked at Hop Craft Supply in MI, none there now.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4303 on: December 31, 2023, 12:01:01 pm »

Willamette
EKG
Pilgrim (which I love)

Tough hop to find for sure. I'd try bullion or brewer's gold mixed with a small amount of pilgrim. That will get you the black currant/lemon/spice of brambling cross.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4304 on: January 01, 2024, 07:34:29 pm »
I just brewed a slightly modified version of the 25th Anniversary Ale from the Maltose Falcons: https://www.maltosefalcons.com/blogs/recipes/25th-anniversary-ipa -- my aim is to have something that is a throwback to the beers I remember loving over two decades ago. I can get lots of great modern IPAs, but the classics are so hard to find anywhere...thank goodness for homebrew!

Facebook: Farke Brewing