Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 449945 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4260 on: November 30, 2023, 03:50:52 pm »
Imperial Stout happening now

1.102 OG

77% maris otter
9% DME
5% cane sugar
3% black malt
3% chocolate
2% crystal 60
1% brown malt

IBU 60 with nuggets at 60
SRM 46
est ABV 11.1
bry97 3 packs

Will this be destined for a fresh dumped bourbon barrel?? Not sure of your batch size but if you haven't tried aging a RIS in a barrel you should consider it. It really does take it to another sphere. For consideration,  https://midwestbarrelco.com They have small format sizes to fit your needs.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4261 on: November 30, 2023, 06:41:21 pm »
lol i wish. i am likely using american oak cubes in it though and giving it some good time, hopefully at least 2 months

i listened to thst podcast, i think experimental brewing where they interviewed midwest barrels recently.

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4262 on: December 02, 2023, 06:26:12 am »
Brewing a Helles today. Escarpment Labs Biergarten, German Pils Malt, Vienna, and Carafoam. Hallertauer hops.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4263 on: December 02, 2023, 06:43:17 am »
I brewed a hoppy (50 bu’s) German Pils yesterday with Magnum and Perle.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4264 on: December 02, 2023, 07:37:30 am »
American brown.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4265 on: December 02, 2023, 07:55:52 am »
I plan to make a Sierra Nevada Porter clone/homage this afternoon, using a slight modification of this recipe from the forum -- https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=35898.15
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4266 on: December 02, 2023, 10:12:46 am »

please let me know if you happen to get a tasting of it, i am intending to brew a very bitter pilsner soon, hoping to hit 45, just getting over the typical bitter-pils threshold of ~35-38

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4267 on: December 02, 2023, 10:50:07 am »

please let me know if you happen to get a tasting of it, i am intending to brew a very bitter pilsner soon, hoping to hit 45, just getting over the typical bitter-pils threshold of ~35-38

For me, 45 is typical of the pils I make.  I don't feel like you'd be going over the top.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4268 on: December 02, 2023, 11:50:41 am »
I made two this weekend.

Denny's rye IPA was yesterday.  Everything went great and it's bubbling away with no blow-off so far.  Only mistake was I had WY1450 and WY1056 starters sitting on the water heater.  Guess which one went into the IPA... I guess I find out what a IPA fermented with WY1056 tastes like. :)

The second was made today. A simple Cream Ale.  It called for flaked rice but with my LHBS being in Omaha and no reason to drive 2 1/2 hours for one ingredient, I cooked up a couple pounds of basmati rice and added that. I blew away my extract numbers so this one may need to called an Imperial or something. And,,, I'll learn how WY1450 tastes in a Cream Ale.

All in all, it was good brew session.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4269 on: December 02, 2023, 12:01:43 pm »
I am making an APA with 2-row pale, wheat, and carapils and all cascade hops. The Bry-97 slurry is in waiting in a SNS starter.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4270 on: December 02, 2023, 01:27:08 pm »

For me, 45 is typical of the pils I make.  I don't feel like you'd be going over the top.

i agree, im also going to make a crisp water profile. jever is a commercial beer i honestly cant get enough of, and it basically inhibits me from needing to brew german pilsners. i feel like its definitely 38-40 ibu with a water that defines that

I am making an APA with 2-row pale, wheat, and carapils and all cascade hops. The Bry-97 slurry is in waiting in a SNS starter.

i love bry97, as of the end of 2023 it is the ultimate workhorse yeast considering so many factors, especially it being a dry yeast and an inexpensive one at that. i feel bad not brewing enough with it due to a feeling i need to keep experimenting with yeasts, but i have never made a bad beer with it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4271 on: December 02, 2023, 03:38:01 pm »

i agree, im also going to make a crisp water profile. jever is a commercial beer i honestly cant get enough of, and it basically inhibits me from needing to brew german pilsners. i feel like its definitely 38-40 ibu with a water that defines that

i love bry97, as of the end of 2023 it is the ultimate workhorse yeast considering so many factors, especially it being a dry yeast and an inexpensive one at that. i feel bad not brewing enough with it due to a feeling i need to keep experimenting with yeasts, but i have never made a bad beer with it.

I love Jever.  It's my model for pils. I use the dry yellow profile in brunwater.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4272 on: December 02, 2023, 08:39:44 pm »

Bry97 is awesome. I find Diamond and 34/70 are similarly easy to use for lagers.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4273 on: December 03, 2023, 06:34:15 am »
Yesterday I made a no LOX pilsner with 8.5 lb. Viking zero malt,.5 lb light Munich, .25 lb. Acid malt, about 30 IBU (.5 oz. Magnum FWH 2 ozs. Mittelfruh 10’) RO adjusted with 1g BTB,4g CaCl2, 4g CaSO4,1/2 tab whirl-floc late boil, BTB at 16’, and wyeast nutrient late boil.  Yeast was 2 packs of Diamond lager.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4274 on: December 03, 2023, 01:37:47 pm »
Yesterday I made a no LOX pilsner with 8.5 lb. Viking zero malt,.5 lb light Munich, .25 lb. Acid malt, about 30 IBU (.5 oz. Magnum FWH 2 ozs. Mittelfruh 10’) RO adjusted with 1g BTB,4g CaCl2, 4g CaSO4,1/2 tab whirl-floc late boil, BTB at 16’, and wyeast nutrient late boil.  Yeast was 2 packs of Diamond lager.

What is a no LOX pilsner? Low oxygen?