Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 449987 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4230 on: October 15, 2023, 09:15:33 am »
Kegged a festbier and a Czech dark lager yesterday. Will hopefully keg an American IPA today.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Online jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4231 on: October 15, 2023, 11:54:47 am »
I am as close to being out of beer as ever right now. I brewed a Belgian Pale Ale last week and today an English Bitter.
I also put together a passion fruit mead and put an Orval wanna be into bottles with brett a couple weeks ago, so soon I will be back to beer wealth.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4232 on: October 15, 2023, 02:58:55 pm »
I am as close to being out of beer as ever right now. I brewed a Belgian Pale Ale last week and today an English Bitter.
I also put together a passion fruit mead and put an Orval wanna be into bottles with brett a couple weeks ago, so soon I will be back to beer wealth.

the past two years ive had this thing where i do one very big beer out of every 3 or 4 batches. im improving it procedurally nowadays since they take longer to get good and you sort of dont get the payback as quickly as a 5% strength beer, but it is better "value" for active time put in in a way.

im also at the stage of learning not to make them "BIG" just for the sake of being big, and that at least in my experience - the higher the alcohol the slower the effect of oak on the beer over time(?). at least thats what i perceived, the big (over 10% ABV) beers being less oaky than i had expected

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4233 on: October 15, 2023, 04:30:29 pm »
I'm gearing up to brew 11 gal of Denny Kong this week. Hops alone cost over $100, so hope I don't dickchimp it.
That's a lot for hops but it should be a great beer! I'm planning on brewing a Denny Kong soon with a smaller batch and I'll probably won't do the dip hoping from the recipe.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 04:35:21 pm by purduekenn »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4234 on: October 16, 2023, 08:42:33 am »
I'm gearing up to brew 11 gal of Denny Kong this week. Hops alone cost over $100, so hope I don't dickchimp it.
That's a lot for hops but it should be a great beer! I'm planning on brewing a Denny Kong soon with a smaller batch and I'll probably won't do the dip hoping from the recipe.

I doubt I'll do the dip hopping. Probably use WP instead.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4235 on: October 16, 2023, 09:08:08 am »

I doubt I'll do the dip hopping. Probably use WP instead.
Whirlpool for me too!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4236 on: October 18, 2023, 09:51:07 am »
Remind me about dip hopping- it that putting hops into the wort for some period of time and then removing them?  Done during the boil or a hop stand or during fermentation?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4237 on: October 18, 2023, 10:00:29 am »
Remind me about dip hopping- it that putting hops into the wort for some period of time and then removing them?  Done during the boil or a hop stand or during fermentation?

You can use either wort or water. About 170F. Add hops to make a slurry, steep for a while, add to fermenter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4238 on: October 18, 2023, 10:44:28 am »

And at the homebrew level - don't remove them (as I understand it, though commercial brewers may differ in their practices, since the dip hopping is done with hot wort that then goes to the fermenter and may be filtered).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4239 on: October 18, 2023, 03:43:23 pm »
https://byo.com/article/dip-hopping/

japan has really made some interesting advances in food science people have forgotten about. lol including HFCS for better or worse its a fascinating thing

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4240 on: October 20, 2023, 05:16:31 pm »

You can use either wort or water. About 170F. Add hops to make a slurry, steep for a while, add to fermenter.
Thanks Denny.  I'm guessing that this is done on brew day before fermentation starts?  I'm also guessing that a hop stand in the same temp range might yield the same results at the homebrew scale?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4241 on: October 21, 2023, 05:58:02 am »
Vienna Lager 2.0
48.4% Best Malz Vienna Pils
25.6% Bonlander Munich 10
25.6% Munich 20
0.3% Midnight Wheat
Hallertauer Mitt. 60/25/5 26IBU
S-189 @52*

Trying Brewtan B for the first time. Boil Addition.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4242 on: October 21, 2023, 08:25:05 am »
Gonna be brewing my Kolsch on Monday.  Haven't made this beer in a long time.  I modified the recipe and am interested in how it will turn out.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4243 on: October 21, 2023, 08:48:35 am »
tomorrow making a porter

67% 2row
10% DME
9% cane sugar
6% simpsons chocolate malt
5% simp brown malt
3% crystal 120

1.071OG
escarpment irish ale yeast
40 IBU

putting it on used barrel pieces for a while then preparing it for about christmas time

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4244 on: October 21, 2023, 09:02:07 am »
tomorrow making a porter

67% 2row
10% DME
9% cane sugar
6% simpsons chocolate malt
5% simp brown malt
3% crystal 120

1.071OG
escarpment irish ale yeast
40 IBU

putting it on used barrel pieces for a while then preparing it for about christmas time

Are these the barrel pieces that you were going to toast? IIRC you had posted a few weeks(?) back about toasting barrel pieces. If so def let us know how they worked for you.