Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 450027 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4215 on: October 08, 2023, 09:50:26 am »
Brewed a 3 gallon batch of an imperial stout yesterday
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline YorkshireBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4216 on: October 08, 2023, 10:15:27 am »

1 gallon hefe

Online fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4217 on: October 08, 2023, 12:58:43 pm »

i know i always make this request and you can tell me to just wait and check your blog page if you want, i wont mind

but also

re: your german pils recipe there - that is definitely what im looking for - however, you didnt hit your intended FG - that is something i'm working on a lot lately, and obviously you can do it with mash temp/time or adding simple sugars or both. - thoughts?

i added 1/2lb dextrose to my two recent beers i wanted to be slightly drier and the one i checked the FG on it worked so far.

belgian single style
95% malt (pils, vienna, 1lb wheat) and 5% dextrose - OG 1.044 - FG 1.007

it has an excellent body despite the lower FG. it worked out just how i wanted, only been bottled 8 days, so still waiting on a clearer verdict tho.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4218 on: October 08, 2023, 01:06:55 pm »
I'm gearing up to brew 11 gal of Denny Kong this week. Hops alone cost over $100, so hope I don't dickchimp it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4219 on: October 08, 2023, 03:21:56 pm »
Sounds like a helluva beer.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4220 on: October 08, 2023, 10:34:49 pm »

i know i always make this request and you can tell me to just wait and check your blog page if you want, i wont mind

but also

re: your german pils recipe there - that is definitely what im looking for - however, you didnt hit your intended FG - that is something i'm working on a lot lately, and obviously you can do it with mash temp/time or adding simple sugars or both. - thoughts?

i added 1/2lb dextrose to my two recent beers i wanted to be slightly drier and the one i checked the FG on it worked so far.

belgian single style

it has an excellent body despite the lower FG. it worked out just how i wanted, only been bottled 8 days, so still waiting on a clearer verdict tho.

Oh, that's super cool!

Final gravities on pilsners have been something of interest to me, for sure. I typically do hit higher than calculated by BeerSmith, or sometimes even as expected based on my ingredients and process. It's good to know I'm not the only one facing this! The dextrose trick looks like a reliable one for cases where it particularly matters.

I also wonder how accurate the estimated final gravities are for BeerSmith. They seem to hit pretty closely in some cases, but it does weird things when crystal malts, etc., enter the picture. It looks like BeerSmith assumes they are just as fermentable as the base malt, which in my understanding is somewhat true but not completely true, depending on the situation. I've also noticed that the estimated attenuation for BeerSmith often doesn't match well with the data for the yeast strain. The default setting is to adjust fermentability for mash temperature (which makes sense to me), but I suspect the assumptions built into that model may need some adjustment, especially for low/high mash temperatures.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Online fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4221 on: October 09, 2023, 10:17:15 am »

but also

belgian single style

Oh, that's super cool!

Final gravities on pilsners have been something of interest to me, for sure. I typically do hit higher than calculated by BeerSmith, or sometimes even as expected based on my ingredients and process. It's good to know I'm not the only one facing this! The dextrose trick looks like a reliable one for cases where it particularly matters.

I also wonder how accurate the estimated final gravities are for BeerSmith. They seem to hit pretty closely in some cases, but it does weird things when crystal malts, etc., enter the picture. It looks like BeerSmith assumes they are just as fermentable as the base malt, which in my understanding is somewhat true but not completely true, depending on the situation. I've also noticed that the estimated attenuation for BeerSmith often doesn't match well with the data for the yeast strain. The default setting is to adjust fermentability for mash temperature (which makes sense to me), but I suspect the assumptions built into that model may need some adjustment, especially for low/high mash temperatures.

this is putting into words the exact problem i am facing regarding FGs. i dont use beersmith, but basically the same thing. and YES different yeast strains seem to have different abilities to rip apart dextrins in the wort or whatever they do. ie. attenuation in a recipe with lots of crystal or roasted malts from different yeasts vs that yeast being highly attenuative with an all basemalt wort.

i love my brewing software but there is still a massive human element on my part where i have to think of the recipe and guesstimate how much of that roasted malt will actually turn into gravity points and how fermentable it will be.

i just bottled the second beer i mentioned that had dextrose in it and i can see how the significant amount of roasted malt (~12%) led to a super low attenuation of 67%. based on my past experiences with the irish ale strain from a different yeast manufacturer i got 76% and 77% on two beers with significant roasted malts. very sad. the yeast was from escarpment, not happy at all with that and seriously questioning using the yeast again on another beer.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4222 on: October 09, 2023, 12:30:59 pm »
All 10 of my kegs have beer in them so I am taking a break.  I have also had covid for the last week so there has been no beer consumption.  My next yeast coming up is Omega Mexican Lager so I will be drawing my versions of all my Mexican-style lager recipes once I have some empty kegs. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4223 on: October 09, 2023, 12:47:50 pm »
I hope you recover soon Ken!

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4224 on: October 09, 2023, 01:07:10 pm »
I have a couple of days free during this week, and my stocks are getting low, so I will have 2 brew-days! 

Tomorrow, a split-batch of
     1a) nut brown ale [target OG: 1.055], Verdant/Windsor blend; and
     1b) quasi-Dubbel, Abbaye yeast+D180 syrup [OG: 1.075]

Then Wednesday, a split-batch of
     2a) IPA, Bry-97 [target OG: 1.066], and
     2b) ??, same wort & hops & OG, but with Koln yeast slurry

By next week basement should be cool enough to start doing lagers again.

Today I'm bottling up my Rye-Rotbier coming out of its cold-crash, and man it is really good!  That Koln is some freaking good dry yeast!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4225 on: October 09, 2023, 03:14:15 pm »
Thanks brother.  A test I took today shows a very, very faint line on the "TEST" line suggesting it's exiting but still barely there.   ::)
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4226 on: October 09, 2023, 06:45:05 pm »
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Online fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4227 on: October 09, 2023, 07:18:01 pm »
Thanks brother.  A test I took today shows a very, very faint line on the "TEST" line suggesting it's exiting but still barely there.   ::)

sounds like its mostly over. good luck and drink a lot of water

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4228 on: October 13, 2023, 01:36:49 pm »
Brewed American Pilsner 5.5 gallon batch  Anvil Foundry 10.5 - 240 volt system power set at 70%.
Grain bill:
9.75 lbs Rahr North Star Pils Malt
1 lb Flaked Corn
Mash was approx. 70 minutes using Gordon Strong's - Helles step mash procedure
Hops:
60 minutes - 20 grams German Tradition (5.1 AA)
20 minute - Steep/Whirpool - 42 grains Tettnang (3.0 AA)
OG = 1.051
Yeast: 2 packs of Fermentis 34/70 yeast at 55F
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 04:22:06 pm by purduekenn »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4229 on: October 13, 2023, 05:57:34 pm »
Finally got around to a modified alt that will probably taste more like an amber ale. Swapped the Munich and caramunich for American malt

75% dingemans pils
22% proximity red malt
2% crystal 80
1% carafa iii

Magnum bittering
1 oz tradition @ 30 minute
1 oz Calista @ 2 min
1 oz Calista DH

Amber bitter water
3470/koln copitch
38ibu
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager