Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 194514 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1125 on: March 21, 2020, 03:47:30 pm »
We haven't hit this topic in awhile:

Finishing off a fifth of J.W.Dant BiB tonight. At $13 a fifth this one needs to find it's way to your house. A nice inexpensive Bourbon.

Yes! We just got a bottle of the J.W. Dant BiB and it's very tasty. Also, picked up some J.T.S. Brown BiB and rather like it as well. Both very good house Bourbons.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1126 on: March 30, 2020, 02:42:43 pm »
Agreed!

I'm about to drain a bottle of Pinhook Bourbon Country. It's nothing special, but was inexpensive.

The Walking Dead Bourbon is decent. I think it might be relabeled Bulleit.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1127 on: April 03, 2020, 06:07:16 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/dining/drinks/whiskey-infinity-bottle.html

Apparently the trend now is to blend your own in an "infinity bottle". Feels more like a, "Make sure it looks full so dad doesn't notice" kind of thing to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1128 on: April 04, 2020, 09:57:56 am »
I just don't think it's a great idea. If the bottle is fantastic then you are taking a great pour and mixing it with lesser things. If the bottle is mediocre then you are lessening the rest of the bottle. I know some people who pour the last two ounces of whatever into their bottle, but it's just not something I see doing. I suppose you could only fill it with Whiskey which isn't your favorite, but that seems like it would have a high probability of turning out poorly.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1129 on: April 07, 2020, 07:18:55 am »
Because of a suggestion by Major I grabbed a handle of VOB years ago. It never tripped my trigger at 90 proof. Turns out they have at least four variants if you include discontinued bottles. So many fifths are 86 proof. The handles we get in NC are 90 proof. They had BiB which is of course 100 proof. They also now have 100 proof which is not BiB.

EDIT: Just read they have 80, 86, 90, and 100 proof versions.

Last night I opened a bottle of VOB BiB and it is fantastic. I forget where I picked it up, perhaps someone bunker cleaning with a bunch of bottles for sale. Since it's no longer available, now I'm on the hunt for the 100 proof bottle.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:10:34 am by MDixon »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1130 on: April 20, 2020, 08:18:28 pm »
Because of a suggestion by Major I grabbed a handle of VOB years ago. It never tripped my trigger at 90 proof. Turns out they have at least four variants if you include discontinued bottles. So many fifths are 86 proof. The handles we get in NC are 90 proof. They had BiB which is of course 100 proof. They also now have 100 proof which is not BiB.

EDIT: Just read they have 80, 86, 90, and 100 proof versions.

Last night I opened a bottle of VOB BiB and it is fantastic. I forget where I picked it up, perhaps someone bunker cleaning with a bunch of bottles for sale. Since it's no longer available, now I'm on the hunt for the 100 proof bottle.
Major scoffed at me years ago when I said VOB was a solid budget pour. You can’t get it here any longer. Least ways not unless you know the bourbon buyer.  Keep it in the back not on the shelf. VOB and anything Weller. Budget buys are different these days.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1131 on: May 09, 2020, 08:39:16 am »
Trying to avoid going deep into the stash. Currently working on a handle and a fifth of Evan Williams BiB. Looks like in NC it goes back on sale in July. Also picked up a few fifths of OGD BiB when it was on sale in April.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1132 on: May 09, 2020, 09:17:38 am »
Bulliet and Bulliet Rye are my current go tos as the handles are a bargain and it's fewer trips out.  My OGD BiB is running out, I have may be a pour left.  Along with some Wathen's barrel proof.

Lots o wine and beer in the house though.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #1133 on: June 05, 2020, 07:32:56 am »
bulliet with a ice chip, mighty fine ;)
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1134 on: June 05, 2020, 07:15:53 pm »
Just finished off my liter of Early Times Bottled-In-Bond. I wish I have MORE of it. So sad!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1135 on: June 05, 2020, 08:17:19 pm »
GTFO. Early Times?!?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1136 on: June 05, 2020, 08:32:28 pm »
Sipping four roses yellow label since it was the best deal at the over priced local. Not bad to darn good. Not usually a favorite but it’s git more character than I recall.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1137 on: June 06, 2020, 10:32:46 am »
Early Times Bottled-In-Bond comes in 1 liter bottles and it is delicious. I think the price point is $25-28.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1138 on: June 06, 2020, 07:23:24 pm »
I will look for it. I keep my whiskey barrel full of Beam between batches. $17.99 on sale for a handle. Ain’t great but I ain’t drinking it.  Much. Better with some oak...

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1139 on: June 07, 2020, 03:07:00 am »
Anyone have experience with wheated bourbons? Just tried Larceny. Good stuff and at ~$25/750 ml it’s bargain.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa