Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 194516 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1110 on: July 20, 2019, 06:26:20 am »
Fred Minnick tweeted this week:
CONFIRMED: Heaven Hill is discontinuing age statement for Virgin 7 yr 101 bourbon, mostly distributed in North Carolina. They need aged stocks for Elijah, McKenna and barrel proof products, company said. Another regional age stated product, HH Green label, is staying, they said.
https://twitter.com/FredMinnick/status/1151492895419117573

Some stores are already receiving no age statement bottles of Virgin Bourbon. Time to stock up on the aged product!!!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1111 on: July 24, 2019, 10:14:25 am »
Finished off a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch Select which was nice, but for me needed a bit more complexity to make it worth the price of admission.

narvin

« Reply #1112 on: August 08, 2019, 11:53:07 am »
Finished off a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch Select which was nice, but for me needed a bit more complexity to make it worth the price of admission.

Have you had the barrel strength?  I had one with the high rye mashbill and it was enjoyable.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1113 on: August 23, 2019, 06:22:30 am »
Yes, I've had a few variants of the Barrel Strength 4 Roses. All have been delicious.

Finished off Pikesville Rye which is a Heaven Hill product. At 50 beans it's a bit pricey, but quite delicious.

narvin

« Reply #1114 on: August 23, 2019, 09:54:15 am »
Yes, I've had a few variants of the Barrel Strength 4 Roses. All have been delicious.

Finished off Pikesville Rye which is a Heaven Hill product. At 50 beans it's a bit pricey, but quite delicious.

You know, I still haven't tried that.  I need to grab a bottle sometime.  They made some waves around here when they discontinued the cheap stuff which was an institution, but that was really only good for mixing.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1115 on: September 12, 2019, 05:44:48 pm »
Finished off a Shackleton Blended Malt Scotch Whisky which was quite nice. I still prefer Monkey Shoulder. Shackleton is tasty, but not complex.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1116 on: December 21, 2019, 08:04:54 pm »
We haven't hit this topic in awhile:

Finishing off a fifth of J.W.Dant BiB tonight. At $13 a fifth this one needs to find it's way to your house. A nice inexpensive Bourbon.

Recently I finished off Knappogue Castle 12 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey and at $40 I thought it was a bit overpriced.

We had a local Bourbon group pick of Smooth Ambler Old Scout 107 American Whiskey and at $35 it was just ok. Would not go out of my way to get another.

Uncle Nearest 1856 Premium Whiskey has a great story and is tasty, but it is not $60 tasty, more like $40 tasty. If you find it cheap pick it up, but at normal pricing it's not worth the coin.

1792 Full Proof has been getting press as of late and they are well deserved. At $45 it's one you should pick up if you see it on the shelf.

Working on two local Bourbon group Single Barrel picks from Old Elk. They were $62 each and one is 106 proof while the other is 108 proof. They are decidedly different and the jury is still out on whether I love them or think they might be a tad bit too sweet. These were the first two Single Barrel Old Elks to come into NC. The distiller for Old Elk was at MGP for years. It's good, just still trying to figure out if I would shell out the coin again or not. I'm on the fence.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1117 on: March 14, 2020, 09:56:07 am »
Let's bring this to the top again since everyone is sitting home and drinking the stash. ;)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1118 on: March 14, 2020, 01:16:25 pm »
Trying to make it back from Dublin, had a very nice Dingle batch 3&4, as well as yellow spot. Grabbed some Connemara and Connemara 12 for when I get back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1119 on: March 14, 2020, 05:45:00 pm »
I have been enjoying the Jameson Caskmates, especially the stout edition. 
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1120 on: March 16, 2020, 10:30:56 am »
I purchased a bottle of The Irishman Single Malt in Virginia and it is quite tasty. The Irishman Founder's Reserve is delicious and budget friendly.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1121 on: March 16, 2020, 03:46:59 pm »
Angels Envy finished in port wine barrels. Fan!#%!%ingtabulous!! My favorite bourbon right now. Going on the Bourbon Trail in May and will have to make a stop!

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #1122 on: March 16, 2020, 04:04:35 pm »
One Christmas Eve I had to work late so I didn’t get to my Ma’s place till every already ate.  She always made a big seafood chowder.  There was 16 of us.  I powered down a couple big glasses of Wild Turkey 101 before a had a bowl of the chowder.  15 relatives got food poisoning from Ma’s chowder that year, but not me.  So, I’m staving off Coronavirus with the Turk!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1123 on: March 16, 2020, 05:21:46 pm »
One Christmas Eve I had to work late so I didn’t get to my Ma’s place till every already ate.  She always made a big seafood chowder.  There was 16 of us.  I powered down a couple big glasses of Wild Turkey 101 before a had a bowl of the chowder.  15 relatives got food poisoning from Ma’s chowder that year, but not me.  So, I’m staving off Coronavirus with the Turk!

Jonny Walker cured me of mono about 40 years ago, leastways, that's how
 I dismember it. Ya it's cheap whiskey, but I was young and even more broke than now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:26:34 pm by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #1124 on: March 21, 2020, 07:23:25 am »
Yes, Jameson Caskmate Stout, very nice.
Far better to dare mighty things....