Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold steeping specialty grains  (Read 8516 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Cold steeping specialty grains
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:02:31 pm »
In Brewing Classic Styles Palmer says you can steep specialty grains overnight in cold water, especially if you have a lot of dark grains.  Has anyone done this?  If you steep them overnight can you skip heating up to 155 degrees and holding for 30 minutes on brew day?

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Cold steeping specialty grains
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:59 pm »
I have been doing this for many years. Add it all to the sparge on brew say. Or add the liquid to the boil.

There is a discussion in Brewing Better Beer about this technique.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:18:25 pm »
+1.  Same thing I do.  Works well.
Jon H.

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:14:33 pm »
I have been doing this for many years. Add it all to the sparge on brew say. Or add the liquid to the boil.

No need to heat the steeped grains that soaked overnight before putting in boil?

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:21:30 pm »

No need to heat the steeped grains that soaked overnight before putting in boil?
No need. Heating may give some flavors, but don't overdo it. You are avoiding extraction of harsh flavors by cold steeping.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 08:08:54 pm »
In Brewing Classic Styles Palmer says you can steep specialty grains overnight in cold water, especially if you have a lot of dark grains.  Has anyone done this?  If you steep them overnight can you skip heating up to 155 degrees and holding for 30 minutes on brew day?

I've done this when I'm using a dark roasted grain for color adjustment and want to minimize the flavor contribution. I do find it provides less harshness when using roasted grains.

But the easiest way to approach steeping grains is just to add them to your kettle when you start heating your water, then pull them when it hits about 165F. This works perfectly fine - there's no need to hold it at a specific temp unless you are doing a partial mash.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:07:41 am »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:54:24 am »
Here's some info from George Fix...http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_html/brewing/index.html
Don't forget the article "Cold Water Extraction of Dark Grains" by Mary Ann Gruber in the Jan Feb 2002 Zymurgy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:02:35 am »
I find that I get less color from cold steeping even when I add the malt to the sparge water.  I haven't done enough to cold steeping to figure out how much extra grain I should use to compensate.  I may have cold steeped with whole malts rather than ground malt so my experience may simply reflect the grind.

What do other people think?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:27 am »
Here's some info from George Fix...http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_html/brewing/index.html
Don't forget the article "Cold Water Extraction of Dark Grains" by Mary Ann Gruber in the Jan Feb 2002 Zymurgy.

Yep, that too.  The Fix info I linked quotes her from before that was published.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:53:07 am »
I find that I get less color from cold steeping even when I add the malt to the sparge water.  I haven't done enough to cold steeping to figure out how much extra grain I should use to compensate.  I may have cold steeped with whole malts rather than ground malt so my experience may simply reflect the grind.

The info I linked says to use at least 2x as much grain.  And you definitely need to crush the grain.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 08:38:32 pm »

The info I linked says to use at least 2x as much grain.  And you definitely need to crush the grain.

Interesting.  Is it worth buying the extra grain?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 08:51:12 am »

Interesting.  Is it worth buying the extra grain?

That is up to you to decide.  Cold steeping provides a smoother flavor.  You can get a smoother flavor by using huskless dark grains like carafa and midnight wheat.  However there is no huskless replacement for roasted barley that I'm aware of.

Anyway I'll continue to do cold extracts for 2nd running beers

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 09:14:38 am »
I have had great results adding my dark specialty grains at vorlauf/sparge....it's a lot easier than cold steeping.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 10:19:54 am »
I have had great results adding my dark specialty grains at vorlauf/sparge....it's a lot easier than cold steeping.

I did the cold steeping until I discovered Sinamar.  Once I found that someone had done the work for me, I quit using cold steeping.

www.dennybrew.com