Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC  (Read 62082 times)

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: NHC
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 03:55:13 pm »
so uneventful.  what will I complain about?!?   ;D

although I kinda miss watching the numbers go up.  "17 minutes and Seattle is half full!"
If it helps at all, we've had ~800 entrants register today in a very leisurely way.  We expect about 3X that amount total for the competition by the end of the week.  I'm really happy about how well this has gone so far.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 03:58:09 pm »

although I kinda miss watching the numbers go up.  "17 minutes and Seattle is half full!"
If it helps at all, we've had ~800 entrants register today in a very leisurely way.  We expect about 3X that amount total for the competition by the end of the week.  I'm really happy about how well this has gone so far.

Cheers,
Janis

Good to hear, Janis! I gotta admit, it'll be a little weird trying to get used to not panicking about NHC entries. :D But I kinda like it!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:18 pm »
But panic is it's own reward!

- Sent by Tapatalk TARDIS Edition

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:00 pm »
But panic is it's own reward!

Don't panic and carry a towel.

:)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2014, 05:23:49 pm »

Cheers,
Janis

It would be fun to know who was first.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2014, 08:20:18 am »

Cheers,
Janis

Thank you Janis; wouldn't mind seeing that number a couple more times this week if you get the time to post.

question about deadlines... 
I see the shipping deadline.  I see the period where we'll find out how many we can enter and have 3 days to pay.  What about the deadline to finalize your entries?  Since we are not finding out entry numbers until February, and since the maximum number is much smaller than it's ever been, a brewer needs to be really sure their beer is good.  With that in mind I'm vetting my many possible entries in another competition first.  Will I have time to get the results of that competition - in this case, Feb 22nd - before I have to finalize which of my entries are my best shot at fortune and glory?   ;D

thanks for all your hard work--
--Michael

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:47 am »
I see the shipping deadline.  I see the period where we'll find out how many we can enter and have 3 days to pay.  What about the deadline to finalize your entries?  Since we are not finding out entry numbers until February, and since the maximum number is much smaller than it's ever been, a brewer needs to be really sure their beer is good.  With that in mind I'm vetting my many possible entries in another competition first.  Will I have time to get the results of that competition - in this case, Feb 22nd - before I have to finalize which of my entries are my best shot at fortune and glory?   ;D

--Michael

Great question...I actually have 2 competitions on February 22nd that I'm entered in.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014, 08:55:16 am »
Thank you Janis; wouldn't mind seeing that number a couple more times this week if you get the time to post.

--Michael
Hi Michael,

Sorry about that; the communication piece has been HUGE this year, and some of the finer details haven't been expressed sufficiently apparently.

When you are notified that you're in the competition, which competition it is, and how many entries are allowed, you will have the link to the competition application.  Click on the link, and you should log in with your e-mail and AHA member number as your password.  The first thing I would do is go to My Info & Entries, scroll down to the entry table and edit each entry in the table to reflect your entries, give it your best guess.  Next, pay the entry fee to get that out of the way (3 day time limit). 

Then, bookmark the competition application, or save the confirmation e-mail so that you have the link to the competition.  You can edit the entry information and print the bottle labels all the way until the end of the shipping/drop-off deadline (March 17), if that is what you want to do.  I can't really say whether you'll get information from the other competition in a timely fashion.

Good luck in the competitions!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:42 am »
Great.  This is what I needed... I have about 20 beers/meads to sort through to determine the 'final 6'... Wasn't going to be able to get it all done this week :D
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2014, 09:15:57 am »
sweet!
[mad scramble for another 10 KCBM entries]   ;D

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014, 10:47:02 am »
Easy peasy, come on threesy.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2014, 06:42:53 am »
somewhat related question: how many 12-oz bottles are needed to be sent into NHC?  I put for 4 slots and need to save enough of those 4 beers now, otherwise they'll probably be gone by March....

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2014, 06:48:05 am »
somewhat related question: how many 12-oz bottles are needed to be sent into NHC?  I put for 4 slots and need to save enough of those 4 beers now, otherwise they'll probably be gone by March....

Last year it was 2 for the regional and 3 for the finals.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2014, 07:23:08 am »

Last year it was 2 for the regional and 3 for the finals.
Also what I read yesterday in this year's rules

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2014, 08:11:59 am »
Yep 2 first round 3 second round... so if it's a beer you are not going to rebrew for the second round better bottle off 5 bottles.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"