Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermentation question on ipa  (Read 6059 times)

Offline cwbrew

• 1st Kit
fermentation question on ipa
« on: October 30, 2013, 09:57:54 am »
brewed up a ipa recipe that i came up with myself not a box recipe. grain... 4 lbs carapills, 4 lbs caramel 120, 3.3lbs dme pills malt, 3lbs pail dme, 1lb extra pail dme, 1lb begian candy syrup. hopps 2oz sazz pellet, 3oz cascade pellet, 1 oz citra whole cone, also plan on dry hopping in secondary. question i have is by using pellet hops do i need to rack to secondary sooner than normal to avoid the ''grassy'' taste? i have heard of people telling me this on certain ipas but usually calling for more hops. this is my first ipa ive done without havin a recipe to go off of so just lookin for some insight and what to do to take my beer to next level.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
Re: fermentation question on ipa
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 10:39:09 am »
To your "grassiness" question. NO. That is utter nonsense.
I hope you meant 4oz and not 4 lbs of carapils, and crystal 120.
Get to know the ingredients, this will help you build a recipe with a certain result in mind. Check out what is used in your favorite beers and start playing with those.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 10:44:30 am »
Others on this board likely can provide better info than me on the pellet/whole hops issue, but my experiene is that you don't need to do anything different. Just keep your dry hop time down to <7 days. I think a lot of that grassy flavor comes from too much hop material and/or too long of contact time with the beer. 

I would make a few friendly suggestions on your recipe. I think the 4lbs of carapils and 4lbs of caramel 120 are both overkill.  Carapils is generally used in small amounts (up to 1lb for 5 gallons) for head retention and some body addition, not as a major grain addition. Four pounds would be a waste, IMO, especially if you are steeping your grains. That much would completely overpower your beer instead of adding a nice flavor/color. Try <1lb this time and if you want more, then step it up in future batches. As repo said, hopefully you meant 4oz of each. Also, I would suggest not mixing the subtle european saaz with the powerful US hops. The saaz will likely get lost. Go with more cascade and/or citra and I think you would be happy there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:46:57 am by WDE97 »
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 11:06:05 am »
I pretty much only use pellets.  I don't dry hop often, but when I do I've never noticed grassy flavors.  I dry hop in the keg these days, and remove the hops when I like the taste.  There's some what leaves them in the keg until it kicks, though.

On the carapils, I've never used more than 1/2 lb in any batch.  I don't think you get much if anything in flavor but it should give some body and help with head retention.  4lbs is crazy talk.  Carapils is really not necessary.

I recommend Designing Great Beers (Ray Daniels, I think) if you're coming up with your own recipes.  It's indispensable, IMO.  I don't recall how much he deals with extract, but as a general rule you can replace 1lb of base malt with 2/3 DME or 3/4 LME.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:49:35 am »
heh yeah as others have noted 4lbs of those specialty malts would be overkill.  Prob just a typo.. but if not I would use a lot less.  As for the grassiness I agree with the others.  Unless you leave the dry hops in there too long you should be fine.  I typically only dry hop for 3 days at a time.  I would also recommend NOT dry hopping in the primary as the yeast will absorb some of the hop oils and it will be less effective.  Get the beer off the majority of the yeast first and then dry hop.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:10:40 pm »
I dry hop with a crapload of hops, both whole and pellet, and I've only ever picked up grassiness when I dry hopped with pellets for a very short period of time. What I assume is happening is that the pellets aren't dropping clear by the time I go to bottle and I'm getting a bit of fine hop material in the finished product.

Right now my SOP is 5-10 days of dry hopping in the primary at cellar temps. I don't get any off flavors that I can detect with this hopping schedule.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:21:13 pm »
Others on this board likely can provide better info than me on the pellet/whole hops issue, but my experiene is that you don't need to do anything different. Just keep your dry hop time down to <7 days. I think a lot of that grassy flavor comes from too much hop material and/or too long of contact time with the beer. 

I would make a few friendly suggestions on your recipe. I think the 4lbs of carapils and 4lbs of caramel 120 are both overkill.  Carapils is generally used in small amounts (up to 1lb for 5 gallons) for head retention and some body addition, not as a major grain addition. Four pounds would be a waste, IMO, especially if you are steeping your grains. That much would completely overpower your beer instead of adding a nice flavor/color. Try <1lb this time and if you want more, then step it up in future batches. As repo said, hopefully you meant 4oz of each. Also, I would suggest not mixing the subtle european saaz with the powerful US hops. The saaz will likely get lost. Go with more cascade and/or citra and I think you would be happy there.

This pretty well sums up my thoughts too. I would add that for me, the <7 day dry hop technique is appropriate for dry hopping with pellets prior to kegging so that they have a chance to settle out and be removed from the finished beer. I really like to dry hop with whole hops in the keg and leave them in throughout service.  There is minimal and generally no hop cloudiness, grassiness and wonderful hop aroma.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:29:24 pm »
I tend to dry hop in a fine mesh bag or lately a fine mesh stainless 'tube'.  This prevents having to add time on to 'wait for particulates to drop out'  I prefer to have my drop hop end when I decide it should.  Once that happens (usually about 3-4 days) I will cold crash, fine, or filter the beer.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline cwbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:39:53 pm »
sorry... oz not lbs. oversight on my part. thanks for the info. try to apply it in next few batches i want to fine tune this in 3 - 4 batches trying diff times and perhaps dif yeist as well.

Offline ajbrenneis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:22:24 am »
Successful commercial brewers have reduced the recommended time of dry hopping down to 2-3 days to minimize any off flavors like that vegetal or grassy bite in their IPAs. Combined with first wort bittering hops and hop bursting your aroma hops, my ipas and pale ales come out crisp, perfectly hoppy, and free of off flavors.
Adam Brenneis

Member - AHA
President - Harrisonburg Homebrewers
BJCP Provisional Judge (Testing March 2014!)

Don't forget to vote for AHA Governing Committee Members Feb 20th-Mar 31st! Cast your vote for Adam Brenneis!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »
Successful commercial brewers have reduced the recommended time of dry hopping down to 2-3 days to minimize any off flavors like that vegetal or grassy bite in their IPAs. Combined with first wort bittering hops and hop bursting your aroma hops, my ipas and pale ales come out crisp, perfectly hoppy, and free of off flavors.

Fortunately, I'm a homebrewer, not a commercial brewery.  I can do what I want to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »
 ;D  I agree Denny.  I like the 7 day dry hop just fine !
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 03:58:23 pm »
;D  I agree Denny.  I like the 7 day dry hop just fine !

+2 - I don't filter or cold crash my IPAs like a commercial brewery so 2-3 days is too short for me. A week to ten days works just fine for me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 04:21:34 pm »
I dry hop 5-10 days. It all depends on how lazy I am and if I have clean kegs to fill.

I have a white IPA that I added 3 ounces of pellets to on Christmas Eve but I don't have any clean kegs. Thinking New Year's Day is looking good for a cleaning and organization day.

Offline ajbrenneis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 05:54:57 pm »

Fortunately, I'm a homebrewer, not a commercial brewery.  I can do what I want to.

I love the fact that I am not bound by styles and consumers when it comes to my brewing. If I can dream it up, then I can brew it, without consequence. It is that attitude that helps inspire and drive homebrewing as well as commercial brewing everywhere. I am curious though why there seems to be a disconnect from commercial brewing to homebrewing in regards to the brewing process, except where equipment is different. I have found techniques that homebrewers seem to employ that have been discounted or improved upon at the commercial level. My beer has improved because of the changes I have made. I work to make the best possible beer I can, much like everyone else here, but a lot of homebrewers seem resistant to using techniques that make commercial breweries successful and allow them to brew great beer. Is it simply a fear of change? Is it a desire to keep a line between the two?

Adam Brenneis

Member - AHA
President - Harrisonburg Homebrewers
BJCP Provisional Judge (Testing March 2014!)

Don't forget to vote for AHA Governing Committee Members Feb 20th-Mar 31st! Cast your vote for Adam Brenneis!