Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Green Egg?  (Read 5950 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Big Green Egg?
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:41:23 am »
Well, I'm finally getting around to looking into one of these, but damn are they expensive.

I've seen some knockoffs, but is it worth it for the extra $$$ to get the Cadillac rather than the Chevy?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
Re: Big Green Egg?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:11:15 am »
Blatz if you do a search on the forum here there was a huge disscusion on them. Seems everyone loves there BGE. This or the one that is similar in price is on my wish list.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:43:43 am »
Don't know for sure. I recommend doing some research on the BBQ Brethren forum. Start with Google and it should take you to the Brethren.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:57:45 am »
You can check with your local dealers and see if any of them are doing any Egg Fests soon.  You can usually get a demo egg (used for one day at the fest) along with a few accessories for less than the price of the egg alone.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:36:47 am »
Can't say if it is better or not than the cheaper ones. All I know is that I love mine and haven't fired up the gas grill in over 3 years. Whatever style you choose I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:39:45 am »
I don't own one, but I have a friend who does. The real BGE weighs a ton and hold temperature forever. The cheap ones always look flimsy and light. They're probably no different than any other smoker made of sheet metal.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 03:02:48 pm »
I almost bought a BGE but did a lot of researching before committing on it.  Around the time the Bubba keg had come out and a number of people were using it and really enjoying them.  They renamed them the Big Steel Keg (BSK) and since then some other company bought the brand and it has a different name.

It was a lot cheaper than the large BGE and includes many of the accessories you have to pay extra for.  It is steel with oven insulation so it holds temp great, even at 800 degrees inside you aren't going to have to go to the hospital if you touch the outside.

I know a few people with BGE and they are ultra-paranoid about using it when it is super cold outside due to the risk of the ceramic cracking.

Another friend has a komodo style grill that I wish I would have bought.  Don't recall the exact name but it's easy to find online, more of an oval shape and you can remove half the grate and have one side direct and the other indirect. 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 02:47:09 am »
Thermal stress shouldn't be an issue with that grade of ceramic. I would not worry about it cracking, especially as the temp goes up gradually.

You should save up for the BGE. We saved for a while to get ours and it. was. worth. every. penny. I have seen some of the knock-offs at the BBQ shop near my house and they are just so poorly built it's a joke.

Only "problem" I have is that they don't work terribly well for weeknight cooking. Kinda like a forno, if you want to use it you need to plan ahead a bit. But given how often I do smoked anything, it's a godsend.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline singletrack brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 05:19:09 am »
We got a BGE when we moved into our new home a few years ago.  After several years of using one I can say they are worth the money.  As phillamb168 said above you need to plan ahead a little and after a few weeknight uses you'll get the timing down. 
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 06:53:19 am »
I live in Canada. It gets cold here.  I use mine all year.  Biggest challenge in the winter is making sure the felt ring doesn't freeze together if it gets wet.  It will pull the ring off if it does.

I use mine for weeknight cooks too.  I can have it up and running in 15 minutes without any problems.  That's assuming you want to grill (high heat).  As I said, I haven't fired up the gas grill in years.
For sale: 12 year old Napoleon gas grill.  Will trade for a 1/2 lb of crystal 40 or some Star-San.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 06:58:29 am »
I went the cheap route and got a CharGriller Akorn when Lowe's Home Improvement had a sale. I had a $25 off coupon and was able to get it delivered for less than 3 bills. There is a must do modification. It required a Weber grate ($11) and a pizza stone ($15) to use as a heat shield. The total for that mod was about $25.

I've used it for grilling, smoked chicken, pulled pork and brisket and must say I am sold. I don't believe it will last forever since it is insulated metal, but is a great way to get into the Kamado world at a bargain price. The total weight was also a bonus at only 95lb. At first I was gun shy of getting it, but after reading some reviews online it became clear this was legit.

It looks like Lowe's still has it for 3 bills if you have one near you or can have it delivered to the store. I had mine delivered to the store and picked it up. It takes about 45 minutes to put together.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-49769-6719_0__?productId=3609214&PID=5342230&cm_mmc=AFF_CJ-_-5342230-_-1723161-_-10926682&CA_6C15C=1188968143

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 08:12:41 am »
I am in MN and use mine year round with no worries of it cracking.  If it does crack, it has a lifetime warranty.  You paid for a cadillac, you can drive it through the salty winters if you want to.  Except BGE will warranty for life instead of a few years.

Seriously, it is a one time purchase, and you are set for life.  Do you buy cheap tools?  If you know you like grilling, get one that will last a lifetime.

If you don't know how much you will use it, or can't afford it right now, try another style.  But be prepared to buy another in the future when you use it more than you thought you would.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 11:17:43 am »
Now, now, now, a BGE isn't exactly a Caddy. It's more of a Chevy, good dependable transportation with a good reputation. If you really want to drive the best then spend some real dough... ;)
http://www.komodokamado.com/

Seriously, when my metal Akorn dies I will probably get one. Of course the 32 is $6K and the 23 is $4.5K...you'll only cry once ;)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 11:31:55 am »
Now, now, now, a BGE isn't exactly a Caddy. It's more of a Chevy, good dependable transportation with a good reputation. If you really want to drive the best then spend some real dough... ;)
http://www.komodokamado.com/

Seriously, when my metal Akorn dies I will probably get one. Of course the 32 is $6K and the 23 is $4.5K...you'll only cry once ;)

Very nice but I'm not sure I will ever try to convince my wife that I need a 1200# grill.   :o

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 11:51:55 am »
If you calculate what I have already spent on grills and rebuilding grills it doesn't sound that crazy. I currently have one gas grill and two smokers, one vertical with a sidebox and the Akorn and I also have a bullet smoker I haven't used in quite some time. I must admit I hate my latest gas grill. It just sucks, I'd be better off broiling most things. I think this is my 5th or 6th gas grill. Figure $300-500 a pop and it doesn't take long to afford the king daddy! ;)