Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Obtaining Hop Rhizomes?  (Read 18166 times)

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
Obtaining Hop Rhizomes?
« on: September 27, 2013, 01:12:10 pm »
Where is everyone getting their Hop Rhizomes from? Does your LHBS carry them? A plant nursery? If you all go online: what are some of your preferred companies to shop from? Obviously I'm competent enough to google "Buy Hop Rhizomes", but I'm wondering if there is a preference among the AHA brewing community.

I've only been brewing for less than a year, so I figure a 2 year wait for super fresh hops gives me plenty of time to "grow" and expand my knowledge on A.G. brewing to really get the most out of my harvest.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Obtaining Hop Rhizomes?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:21:34 pm »
Back when I was in the market, got some from Freshops, hopsdirect, and the
LHBS.

Those go on sale in Feb-March timeframe.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »
I don't think I've ever heard any reports of someone getting bad rhizomes. Unless the whole rhizome is DOA when you get it, hops are so hardy that within a couple years I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the different rhizomes in terms of initial quality.

Just make sure you pick hop varieties that you won't mind having a lot of. Also, if you have growing conditions that are drastically different than ideal hop growing conditions, then you might want to ask around to see what varieties grow well or have a tough time in your area.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:08:43 pm »
Hmm, this may come off as naive but can anyone get a hold of Mosaic, Citra, or Simcoe hop Rhizomes?
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:12:23 pm »
Hmm, this may come off as naive but can anyone get a hold of Mosaic, Citra, or Simcoe hop Rhizomes?

It's not naive, but no. No Amarillo, either. These are proprietary varieties and are not available to the public.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 02:22:34 pm »

It's not naive, but no. No Amarillo, either. These are proprietary varieties and are not available to the public.

That's interesting. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know who the growers are? And also is there any history of hops that used to be proprietary, but became public after some time? (They're my favorite and I can't help but get my hopes up for hops!)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »

That's interesting. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know who the growers are? And also is there any history of hops that used to be proprietary, but became public after some time? (They're my favorite and I can't help but get my hopes up for hops!)
CTZ were proprietary IIRC, and you can get Columbus and Zeus now.

Some of the growers are known, but I will leave that research up to you.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 04:51:32 pm »
The two that hopfenunmaltz mentioned are where I would look, especially Freshops.

Another would be your brewing buddies that have hops in their yards. Just make sure they know what they have.

Have fun.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 06:30:29 pm »
You're not going to obtain any of said hops, but I got some high quality rhizomes from the thyme garden this past year. You can pre-order now and you'll get them on a first come first serve basis in March. I pre-ordered rooted rhyzomes mid October last year. They all produced first year hops for me. Ihave pics of them on this thread under "hops planted 3/13/13" or something like that.

I also think they grew with such quality because I got them in the mail and was able to plant them that day with abnormally warm weather. I don't think the rhyzomes really thought they were out of the ground.
Frank

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:29:47 pm »
Great Lakes Hops out of MI sell the actual plant plugs and for fall planting they are awesome! Come spring they take off like beasts but due to certain agricultural laws they cannot ship to certain locations so you need to inquire.

As for the proprietary hops, good luck, you won't get them however hard you try!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 09:27:53 pm »
I don't think it's a question of vendors selling 'bad' rhizomes, it's more a question of who the vendor is.  Is it the guy who digs the rhizomes and stores them properly then sells them to you, or is it a vendor who's actually a middleman?  Not saying that middlemen are a problem at all, but the more times the plant material gets handled the more times there's a chance of it being mishandled somewhere along the line which can lead to poor performance. 

Some of the folks I know who dig and sell are http://www.freshops.com/, http://rnventerprises.com/, http://hopsdirect.com/.  And as was mentioned, you can buy actual plants which will perform better than rhizomes in their first year being that they already have roots and can concentrate their energy into top growth. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 10:03:55 pm »
I got mine at B3. My Willamette did not survive the journey so I ordered more. Those made it.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 08:34:17 am »
I agree with an above comment. Cut out the middle man. The thyme garden grows their hops on sure organically. Here is the quality rhizome they offer. I recommend them so because my first year hops from them (all 8 of them) out produced my second year hops from another vender. You get rhizomes like these as opposed to dried up pencil looking rhizomes. This is a rooted cutting, but the standard cuttings did very well too.

Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 10:07:52 am »
I don't think it's a question of vendors selling 'bad' rhizomes, it's more a question of who the vendor is.  Is it the guy who digs the rhizomes and stores them properly then sells them to you, or is it a vendor who's actually a middleman?  Not saying that middlemen are a problem at all, but the more times the plant material gets handled the more times there's a chance of it being mishandled somewhere along the line which can lead to poor performance. 

Some of the folks I know who dig and sell are http://www.freshops.com/, http://rnventerprises.com/, http://hopsdirect.com/.  And as was mentioned, you can buy actual plants which will perform better than rhizomes in their first year being that they already have roots and can concentrate their energy into top growth.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Freshops doesn't dig the rhizomes.  AFAIK, Dave doesn't grow any hops at all.  But he's near the major hop growers and gets everything very fresh.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 11:08:47 am »
FWIW, I'm pretty sure Freshops doesn't dig the rhizomes.  AFAIK, Dave doesn't grow any hops at all.  But he's near the major hop growers and gets everything very fresh.

Believe it or not, "they do" and "he does".  I don't know were he gets all the energy to keep up with all that he's got going, but I want to find that place!  Might have something to do with his ginseng porter though?