Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Right Stuff  (Read 4143 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
The Right Stuff
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:08:23 pm »
For years, people have asked me about the braid I use in my cooler mash tun.  It seems like there are a lot of braids that don't work well, as evidenced by some of the kludges I've seen like putting a coil of wire in the braid.  I've always said that it shouldn't be necessary if you get the right braid, but I built mine so long ago that I couldn't recall what I used.  Well, I've been building mash tuns lately to document the procedure for the book and I have the answer!  What has been working perfectly for me is the Lasco brand Pro-Flex Stainless Braided faucet connector hose.  Part no. 10-0121 or 10-0321.  The only difference is the size of the compression fitting on it, and you cut that off anyway.

I just wanted to document this here so that in the future I can remember what the heck it is!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: The Right Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 01:34:54 pm »
Nice thanks. I didn't have luck with the braid so I used one of those bazooka screens.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Lasco-10-0121-Compression-20-Inch-Connector/dp/B003B6F1YK

http://www.amazon.com/Lasco-10-0321-Compression-20-Inch-Connector/dp/B003B6EZ9M

I also went to a bazooka screen so I don't have to worry about it being crushed.  I had 26 lbs of grain on top of mine once.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:42:43 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Lasco-10-0121-Compression-20-Inch-Connector/dp/B003B6F1YK

http://www.amazon.com/Lasco-10-0321-Compression-20-Inch-Connector/dp/B003B6EZ9M

I also went to a bazooka screen so I don't have to worry about it being crushed.  I had 26 lbs of grain on top of mine once.

I've had 72 lb. on one of the Lascos.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:44:51 pm »
I don't know what kind of braid I have, but I bought it at Ace Hardware. Probably not Lasco. But seems to be working out just fine for me.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:06:41 pm »
yeah mine works more or less regardless of the amount of grain. It might flatten out some but it still drains just fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 03:04:53 pm »
Yeah, I know that there must be more than the Lasco that work fine, but I wanted to finally give people a heads up about what I know works.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 03:06:58 pm »
yeah mine works more or less regardless of the amount of grain. It might flatten out some but it still drains just fine.
+1.  My braid drains pretty efficiently even on a big beer, so it must not flatten out too much.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 03:32:14 pm »
Denny, do you think this would also work as a hop/trub stopper at the drain inside of the kettle?  I need to do something about my system to keep things from clogging up when chilling.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:47:44 pm »
I'm not Denny, but I'd say probably. I use a screen bazooka in my BK and only get a few flecks of stuff.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:29:33 am »
I've never had any troubles with braid I use getting crushed.  I have a piece of 12G copper wire inside to keep it from coming off the bottom too far while I stir.  The wire helps keep me in line when I'm not paying enough attention to what I'm doing.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 07:55:15 am »
Denny, do you think this would also work as a hop/trub stopper at the drain inside of the kettle?  I need to do something about my system to keep things from clogging up when chilling.

Not sure of its the same braid but mine workmen in bl with whole hops, not pellets. Only had clog once in huge IIPA

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:54:07 am »
Recently, as I was cleaning my cooler mash tun, I dropped it on one of the corners and cracked it.  So I took a cooler that we already had and put together a new mash tun. For this new mash tun, I used a 12 inch Watts stainless 3/8 inch faucet connector from Lowes (part # 76301). 

The new mash tun is a Coleman 40qt (Blue!) cooler and although it's not a coleman extreme, like the extremes, it has a nice channel that leads to the drain.  My last tun had a long braid connected to a T-joint bulk head.  Since I realized that the all the draining happens near the drain, I went with a smaller braid and crimped the end (similar to Denny).  I mostly do 3 gallon batches, so the most amount of grains I will put in there will be between 9- 10lbs (recently did an imperial stout w/ 9.5lbs). 

I know it's not a large sample size, however, with 4 brews through this mash tun, the braid has worked great and has held its shape.   
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:12:50 am »

Jeff, I've tried the braid in a kettle a few times and each time it clogged up right away.  I think the mesh is too fine and gets coated with proteins, especially of you use Irish Moss or whirlfloc.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:31 am »
Recently, as I was cleaning my cooler mash tun, I dropped it on one of the corners and cracked it.  So I took a cooler that we already had and put together a new mash tun. For this new mash tun, I used a 12 inch Watts stainless 3/8 inch faucet connector from Lowes (part # 76301). 

The new mash tun is a Coleman 40qt (Blue!) cooler and although it's not a coleman extreme, like the extremes, it has a nice channel that leads to the drain.  My last tun had a long braid connected to a T-joint bulk head.  Since I realized that the all the draining happens near the drain, I went with a smaller braid and crimped the end (similar to Denny).  I mostly do 3 gallon batches, so the most amount of grains I will put in there will be between 9- 10lbs (recently did an imperial stout w/ 9.5lbs). 

I know it's not a large sample size, however, with 4 brews through this mash tun, the braid has worked great and has held its shape.

Thanks, Jeremy!  It's great to have a part # from Lowe's.

www.dennybrew.com