Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476804 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #990 on: March 08, 2011, 12:15:15 am »
Did some ribs (St Louis) and pinto beans at the same time. I only lightly seasoned the ribs. This time I courted death by quick-soaking the beans for an hour then low and slow in the pit for six hours. The ribs @ 225F were done in 5 hours then wrapped in foil and a towel for another hour until the beans were pulled.

It all turned out awesome though the beans were nasty gassy. Combine that with fatty pork and well... you get the idea. ;)

Probably my best ever and it's all gone.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #991 on: March 08, 2011, 05:34:02 am »
Awseome Euge!  8)

I picked up several pounds of babybacks the other day for this weekends smoke.

Can't wait!
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #992 on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:38 am »
I've had the Q itch for way too long now.  Wifey picked up some Pork Ribs ($1.57/lb) & Loins ($1.88/lb) last weekend. Now they're just sittin' in the freezer watin'.  Never done Canadian Bacon (A.K.A. Buckboard Bacon) before. That's first on the list if it ever warms up & quits snowing.  Prolly just use the basic Tenderquick recipe to start with. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #993 on: March 08, 2011, 09:14:49 am »
I've had the Q itch for way too long now.  Wifey picked up some Pork Ribs ($1.57/lb) & Loins ($1.88/lb) last weekend. Now they're just sittin' in the freezer watin'.  Never done Canadian Bacon (A.K.A. Buckboard Bacon) before. That's first on the list if it ever warms up & quits snowing.  Prolly just use the basic Tenderquick recipe to start with. Cheers!!!

Nice!  8)

Here's my recommendation.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #994 on: March 08, 2011, 09:56:19 am »

Nice!  8)

Here's my recommendation.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/
Hey Ron, I actually have the dizzypig recipe saved in my BBQ recipe folder. Definitely going to give it a shot some day. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #995 on: March 08, 2011, 10:35:27 am »
The best deal seems to be the 2# bulk DP instead of the 8oz bottles. And yes I could use that much.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #996 on: March 08, 2011, 10:47:20 am »
I used the Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on some T-bone steaks I Q'd up last Saturday evening on my Weber Kettle. I took pics but haven't downloaded them yet. This was the first time I tried Cow Lick and liked it alot. Adds a spicy, peppery twang to the beef.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #997 on: March 10, 2011, 03:29:09 am »
I FINALLY found a butcher who wouldn't look at me cross-eyed when I asked him for a special order. The cut of beef ribs Cap threw in the smoker are called "Plat Cote," basically short ribs but the whole rack as opposed to sliced up. But what I'm most excited about was him being OK with my order of a couple of 7-cm thick "cote de bouef avec os" otherwise known as the TOMAHAWK CUT.

Hopefully I'll have those tomorrow and will throw them on the grill (and have a cigar) while I brew Saturday.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #998 on: March 10, 2011, 04:13:19 am »
Bone-in rib-eye? Except that really tasty bit is trimmed off. I'm sure it is made into something awesome.

I get the "tomahawk cut" reference. Supposed to be more of an American cowboy style cut- to the French, I mean. Nice marbling, and the thickness is right.

I've done the really hot and rest then lower temp approach and visa versa. Phil you got a method?

And also started making noise trying to find Cap's cut. Seems it's untrimmed finger ribs around here? I see the rack it comes from but they trim them almost to the bone usually. Damn shame but that's hamburger.

I'm doing another rack of ribs and a boneless chuck roast this weekend. The pork will be brined. Salt and pepper for the beef. BGE can handle it...

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #999 on: March 10, 2011, 06:35:57 am »
Bone-in rib-eye? Except that really tasty bit is trimmed off. I'm sure it is made into something awesome.

I get the "tomahawk cut" reference. Supposed to be more of an American cowboy style cut- to the French, I mean. Nice marbling, and the thickness is right.

I've done the really hot and rest then lower temp approach and visa versa. Phil you got a method?

And also started making noise trying to find Cap's cut. Seems it's untrimmed finger ribs around here? I see the rack it comes from but they trim them almost to the bone usually. Damn shame but that's hamburger.

I'm doing another rack of ribs and a boneless chuck roast this weekend. The pork will be brined. Salt and pepper for the beef. BGE can handle it...

I'm gonna cook it using the "T-Rex" BGE method. http://web.mac.com/philhanna/iWeb/philhanna@mac.com/TREXing%20a%20Steak.html

Although frankly I'm not sure about that. I have my water oven, and I may cook them sous vide to rare, and then sear them 90 sec a side (turn after 45 for marks) on the egg cranked to full throttle.

Re tomahawk, that's a name I learned from Ditka's steakhouse in Chicago; Paulina Meat Market coined it, I think: https://www.paulinameatmarket.com/?p=newsletter

----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1000 on: March 10, 2011, 07:47:59 am »
Here's a take on ribs that I'm in favor of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwiTjWBgUy8&feature=related
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1001 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:23 am »

Those look great!  Never thought about using brown sugar that way. That's on the list for sure!  Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1002 on: March 10, 2011, 09:01:51 am »

Those look great!  Never thought about using brown sugar that way. That's on the list for sure!  Cheers!!!

I'm going to  try this method out on the baby backs I'm smoking this weekend.

I'll post pics!  8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:44:43 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1003 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:34 am »
Re tomahawk, that's a name I learned from Ditka's steakhouse in Chicago; Paulina Meat Market coined it, I think:
I had a tomahawk at a local steakhouse a couple of years ago - awesome!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1004 on: March 11, 2011, 03:12:38 am »
Re tomahawk, that's a name I learned from Ditka's steakhouse in Chicago; Paulina Meat Market coined it, I think:
I had a tomahawk at a local steakhouse a couple of years ago - awesome!

Wife just gave me the good news, Tomahawks are ready to be purchased. Two  of 'em, 2.3 inches thick each. I may be homebrewing with another homebrewer for the VERY FIRST TIME Saturday, which is why I'm sorta celebrating. We got them from this butcher: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Barone+Gilles,+6+Rue+March%C3%A9+St+Honor%C3%A9,+75001+Paris,+France&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.576045,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=Barone+Gilles,+6+Rue+March%C3%A9+St+Honor%C3%A9,&hnear=75001+Paris,+%C3%8Ele-de-France,+France&z=16

He's two blocks from the Louvre, and is supposedly the best butcher in Paris. We'll see how the steaks turn out and yes of course I'm gonna post pics :-)
----