Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476820 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #975 on: February 27, 2011, 08:34:53 pm »
Hey, I bet that Blichman thing would make a nice smoker.  ;D

Bring it up Ron, I will take the plasma cutter to it.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

boulderbrewer

« Reply #976 on: February 27, 2011, 09:49:54 pm »
Tuck the wings in so they don't get burnt, just a note for next time. Time to start a peltier cooling thread for conicals now. I'm going to be glued to that one. Was that bird 15#? gust wondering, bet it was a broad breasted white. Lovely birds.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #977 on: February 28, 2011, 05:46:15 am »
Hey, I bet that Blichman thing would make a nice smoker.  ;D

Bring it up Ron, I will take the plasma cutter to it.

;D

lol
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #978 on: February 28, 2011, 05:49:39 am »
Tuck the wings in so they don't get burnt, just a note for next time. Time to start a peltier cooling thread for conicals now. I'm going to be glued to that one. Was that bird 15#? gust wondering, bet it was a broad breasted white. Lovely birds.

Yea, I forgot to tuck the wings in this time. It was a 12.5lb gobbler. Tastes heavenly especially after brining.

Peltier cooling...that sounds interesting.
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #979 on: March 01, 2011, 10:02:57 pm »
I got inspired by the pictures of grilled asparagus so tonight I tried it with some Pacific rockfish.  I made a mop of shallots and garlic sauteed in butter and olive oil with a little paprika salt and pepper.  Keep in mind that my wife is a French farm girl and she still thinks asparagus are white and should be served with a nice vinaigrette, but she tore into those grilled asparagus like she had been eating them all her life.  That's definitely a dish to be added to the repertoire.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #980 on: March 01, 2011, 11:00:07 pm »
I loooove asparagus.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #981 on: March 02, 2011, 01:33:53 am »
You guys put sauce on your BBQ? Why?

Did some beef chuck ribs today as per Robert Rodriguez. Did I post that cooking video yet? Ill post it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGOQ_npS4pI

Man these things are firken delicious. Just sinful.

If you do it look for nice marbled chuck ribs. I noticed some were very lean.

To put sauce on these would be a deadly sin, BBQ sauce is for Philistines.

JEEZ M CROW that looks amazing. Got any non-closeup pics of the raw meat? I'm wondering what it looks like before cooking so I know what to ask for. Watched that Rodriguez thing too, Planet Terror was an EXCELLENT movie.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #982 on: March 02, 2011, 05:50:40 pm »
I don't have any pics, but I smoked five racks of baby backs last weekend for a family get together (ok, actually it was my birthday).  I rubbed with Dizzy Dust and smoked with equal parts white oak, cherry, and apple chunks.  Served the ribs with collard greens and dumplings, home made slaw and butter buns, and plenty of homebrew.  Honestly, I don't think pics would have done it justice.  It might have been the best bbq-based meal I've ever had. 8)
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #983 on: March 02, 2011, 05:55:27 pm »
I don't have any pics, but I smoked five racks of baby backs last weekend for a family get together (ok, actually it was my birthday).  I rubbed with Dizzy Dust and smoked with equal parts white oak, cherry, and apple chunks.  Served the ribs with collard greens and dumplings, home made slaw and butter buns, and plenty of homebrew.  Honestly, I don't think pics would have done it justice.  It might have been the best bbq-based meal I've ever had. 8)

Sounds really good!

You should know Matt...I was just planning my next visit to the Sam's Club this weekend and I have baby backs on the top of the list. They will be on the smoker Sunday. This is the plan anyway. I am becoming a really big fan of the Dizzy Pig rubs. I recently purchased the sampler pack. So many rubs...so little time.   :)

Oh...and Happy belated B-day!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:14:44 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #984 on: March 02, 2011, 07:05:18 pm »
Served the ribs with collard greens and dumplings, home made slaw and butter buns, and plenty of homebrew.

That's probably healthier than most people eat. Sounds fantastic. Happy birthday.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #985 on: March 02, 2011, 07:42:54 pm »
Thanks for the birthday props.   :D

Ron, this was the first time I've used Dizzy Dust and I have to say it was fantastic.  I really want to try some of the other rub varieties, especially the Swamp Venom.  Good luck with the rib smoke on Sunday!

Oh, I forgot to add that the collard greens were infused with morita chiles (chipotles).  The chiles gave a little heat and a nice smoky spice.  Got the recipe here: http://www.chow.com/recipes/28707-collard-greens-with-dumplings.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #986 on: March 04, 2011, 03:30:45 am »
Any of you guys ever tried Grill Grates? http://www.grillgrate.com/index.php

For $60 I'm thinking I might have to go for some, if for no other reason than it seems it'd be easier to cook smaller things.
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #987 on: March 04, 2011, 05:35:31 am »

For $60 I'm thinking I might have to go for some, if for no other reason than it seems it'd be easier to cook smaller things.

Pretty cool design. I installed cast iron grill grates on my Weber Gas grill some time ago and really like the performance. The grillgate.com grates look like they could be worth a try. What are they made out of...?

If you decide to get them, let us know how they work out for you.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #988 on: March 04, 2011, 06:02:16 am »

Pretty cool design. I installed cast iron grill grates on my Weber Gas grill some time ago and really like the performance. The grillgate.com grates look like they could be worth a try. What are they made out of...?

Pretty sure they're made out of Hard Anodized Aircraft Aluminum. I think Maglites are made of the same stuff. I'm waiting to hear back from the mfg to see how heavy they are for a Large BGE kit (they custom cut them to fit inside the BGE). If it's under 20 lbs that'll ship via USPS fairly cheaply.
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #989 on: March 04, 2011, 11:35:51 am »

Pretty sure they're made out of Hard Anodized Aircraft Aluminum. I think Maglites are made of the same stuff. I'm waiting to hear back from the mfg to see how heavy they are for a Large BGE kit (they custom cut them to fit inside the BGE). If it's under 20 lbs that'll ship via USPS fairly cheaply.

Not for one second do I believe it prevents/controls flareups. But interesting design. I can see using it for shrimp, scallops, veggies etc. Things that can fall through the grate.