Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 482674 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #855 on: January 14, 2011, 09:34:32 am »
Re eating out...I look on it primarily as reconnaissance!

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #856 on: January 14, 2011, 09:52:53 am »
'why do you feel the boston butt defeats you?

Because every single time I've done it, after the 15-26 hours it takes, I've said "I am never doing that again!"

Deepsouth your baby backs look tremendous.  Next time you should try doing a rack of St Louis cut spare ribs, see if you like 'em better... you might.

I get a whole slab for $2/lb and trim 'em myself.  Here's how:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MGM_RRTUQ

The best part is that the end you trim off also goes on the smoker, and serves as a snack a few hours into the session.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:56:14 am by wahoo »

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #857 on: January 14, 2011, 10:09:49 am »
I have to say BUTTS are a FAV of mine!!  Wish it wasn't so cold right now or I'd be brewin' Saturday & Smokin' Sunday. Oh well...  Here are a few pics from my last butt adventure in Oct . First one came off @ ~9 hours & the last 2 stubborn ones @ ~14 hours. Go figure...  Cheers!!!

Just on the Q

Ready to pull the 1st one

The Char-Griller
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #858 on: January 14, 2011, 10:34:10 am »
I have to say BUTTS are a FAV of mine!!  Wish it wasn't so cold right now or I'd be brewin' Saturday & Smokin' Sunday. Oh well...  Here are a few pics from my last butt adventure in Oct . First one came off @ ~9 hours & the last 2 stubborn ones @ ~14 hours. Go figure...  Cheers!!!

Words fail me.....
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #859 on: January 14, 2011, 10:40:13 am »
Here are a few pics from my last butt adventure in Oct .

If my firewall still let those pictures through after that line, it'll let anything through!   ;D 

BBQ looks great!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #860 on: January 14, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
Here are a few pics from my last butt adventure in Oct .

If my firewall still let those pictures through after that line, it'll let anything through!   ;D 

BBQ looks great!
Thanks for the chuckle!!!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #861 on: January 14, 2011, 11:22:47 am »
i like big butts and i cannot lie.

nice.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #862 on: January 14, 2011, 06:09:02 pm »
i like big butts and i cannot lie.

nice.

haha...

big butts rule!  8)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #863 on: January 14, 2011, 06:31:04 pm »
Not to be the contrary voice in the wilderness, but I go for smaller...a higher surface to meat ratio, exposed to spice and smoke.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #864 on: January 14, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »
I'm planning on doing a packer Brisket this weekend. Should I let it come to room temp before placing it in the smoker?  And how long do you think it'll take to warm up to room temp? Overnight?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #865 on: January 14, 2011, 09:45:15 pm »
I'm planning on doing a packer Brisket this weekend. Should I let it come to room temp before placing it in the smoker?  And how long do you think it'll take to warm up to room temp? Overnight?

I'd be weary of letting it sit out overnight. Brisket is the one cut of meat I have trouble smoking. There's such a fine line between undercooked, perfect and overcooked brisket. I need to try again, but right now I'm into butt love.

Speaking of butt, just put a 9 pounder on. Sprinkle of Obie-Cues BBQ Bomber, coat of creole mustard, generous rub of thrown together concoction including turbinado, crushed fennel seeds, cayenne, garlic and onion powder and a finishing sprinkle of the BBQ bomber after a few hours in the fridge wrapped up tight. Going with hickory for first 4-6 hours, then switching to charcoal and soaked apple and cherry chips for rest of smoke. Gonna be some good eats.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #866 on: January 14, 2011, 09:46:42 pm »
"Wrapped up tight"

Why?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #867 on: January 15, 2011, 08:20:11 am »
"Wrapped up tight"

Why?

After I put my mustard and rub on, I always wrap in Saran wrap and put in fridge for a while. I unwrap it before cooking...Not sure why, I think I saw it somewhere.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #868 on: January 15, 2011, 11:18:53 am »

I'd be weary of letting it sit out overnight. Brisket is the one cut of meat I have trouble smoking. There's such a fine line between undercooked, perfect and overcooked brisket. I need to try again, but right now I'm into butt love.

A butt packer?

I put the 10 pound brisket out before bed and got up after 5-ish hours. Still kinda cold, but I'm thinking another couple hours and it'll be OK.

This time I'm putting it fat side down, maybe trim a little of it off and lay it on top of the brisket. Then a minimum of 6 hours at 250 and I'll check it for tenderness. Probably 10 hours will do it. Seems like the BGE cooks things quicker. This thread here had some decent advice: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Remembered I'm out of lump. Walmart here I come...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #869 on: January 15, 2011, 12:11:28 pm »
I'm at 15 hours on this thing. It's at 175ish. Had a rough night of smoking. 30F and a constant drizzle. All good though. Kicked up temp to about 250 around 11a and should be done in time for halftime of first game. Time to get second grill ready for the spatchcocked chicken. Marinating in the adobo sauce that they can chipotles in.