Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476871 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #840 on: January 13, 2011, 07:29:51 pm »
I smell sweet baby ray's when I zoom :D
What else is on the ribs?

I hate paying full price for half-assed. That's what usually keeps me from going out.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #841 on: January 13, 2011, 07:33:48 pm »
NAh, your not a rookie anymore. And I ahve had "Pro" bbq that didnt look nearly as nice as yours, or taste as nice im sure. Im not easily impressed. thats why idont go out to eat much.  

The ribs above appear to be pink to the bone are they cured? or did the smoke have enough time to get to the bone.

Very nice.

With the zoom I can almost smell them.

you are far too kind.  

i smoked those ribs for five hours using the "car wash mike" method.  no wood chips or anything, just lump.  i just cook them low and slow and let the egg do it's thing.  i put the ribs on refrigerator cold, so that could have something to do with being pink to the bone.  

we very rarely go out to eat, unless it's a place we know is good.  we go out for sushi and vietnamese and thai, but i pretty much cook everything else.

and even as a rookie, i can't say that there is a single bbq place where i have had stuff better than i've pulled off my egg in the past couple years i've had it.  that includes living in memphis and eating in every bbq joint from batesville, ms to jackson, tn.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #842 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:04 pm »

I hate paying full price for half-assed. That's what usually keeps me from going out.

on those, i used sea salt, sugar in the raw, dizzy pig dizzy dust and dizzy pig red eye express.  i sauced them with sweet baby rays the last 30 minutes.

cheers!

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #843 on: January 13, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »

I rarely eat out since it usually leaves me unhappy and unsatisfied. What I see here is folk who like a variety of good food and are willing to make it themselves. I'll make an exception for Vietnamese. Rare that I go out for that either these days.

And I believe for the most part my own BBQ is better than what is available at the best joints in town.  And I still think S&P or a brine is just as good as any rub.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #844 on: January 13, 2011, 07:53:17 pm »

I rarely eat out since it usually leaves me unhappy and unsatisfied. What I see here is folk who like a variety of good food and are willing to make it themselves. I'll make an exception for Vietnamese. Rare that I go out for that either these days.

And I believe for the most part my own BBQ is better than what is available at the best joints in town.  And I still think S&P or a brine is just as good as any rub.

i still need to read up on brining and try that.  and i'm never opposed to grilling with just some salt.  tonight i cooked a piece of sushi grade tuna with just salt and sesame seeds.  i never tire of damn near raw fish.

AHA# 196703

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #845 on: January 13, 2011, 08:10:28 pm »
we very rarely go out to eat, unless it's a place we know is good.  we go out for sushi and vietnamese and thai, but i pretty much cook everything else.

and even as a rookie, blah blah blah

Wife started cooking Thai in the last 4-5 years. Can't find anything worthwhile within 20 miles from home.

I don't think there are any rookies here, you're all overcritical of yourselves, just like the rest of us.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #846 on: January 13, 2011, 08:41:05 pm »
i REALLY want to learn how to cook good thai.  we love that and we have below average places here.  i haven't tried at home yet as i don't know where to start. 

AHA# 196703

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #847 on: January 13, 2011, 09:08:04 pm »
Get a can of coconut milk and red peppers, start with a coconut curry. You can use shrimp chicken lamb.

Make some peanut sauce for your Thai BBQ. Search some info on Satay its Indonesian but they make it in Thailand too. 

Knowing good BBQ you are half way there.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #848 on: January 14, 2011, 06:09:32 am »
i REALLY want to learn how to cook good thai.  we love that and we have below average places here.  i haven't tried at home yet as i don't know where to start. 

Coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce and fresh basil - those are the necessities, where the dish just ain't right without em.
Usually leftover steak or chicken, bell pepper, onion, garlic. Fry em all up in a little sesame oil, then add the above ingredients, simmer just a bit - serve over rice.

Coconut cream is only OK for the peanut satay - but then you gotta spice extra cuz its soooo sweet.

And yes it's cheating - you CAN make your own curry by mixing your own ingredients. But we're pretty happy with this.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #849 on: January 14, 2011, 06:44:44 am »
And rice noodles!  Love those things.

Go easy on galangal and kaffir lime leaves the first time...I overdid them and nearly swore off cooking thai food again because of it.

Fish sauce is essential...but...well, I go unauthentic and sub soy sauce cause the smell is too...authentic for me.

Jasmine rice is what you want with it too...the aroma is great when its cooking!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #850 on: January 14, 2011, 07:16:38 am »
you guys rock.  i'll be visiting the asian supermarket very soon. 

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #851 on: January 14, 2011, 07:43:04 am »
Dont feel defeated. Low and slow man, low and slow. Oh man there is nothing like beating a but.

+1

Patience is the key to the Butt...plan on a 12+/-hr Q session.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #852 on: January 14, 2011, 07:46:56 am »
I love this thread. You guys have helped me improve my Q tremendously.  

Amen to that!

For a homebrewing forum, I think we kick butt!
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #853 on: January 14, 2011, 07:57:50 am »
awe man, i love me some baby backs....

but not quite as meaty for sure!

Very fine looking Q for sure!

What amount of lump did you use for the session and what temp range did you achieve?
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #854 on: January 14, 2011, 09:18:22 am »
i used wicked good lump.  i cleaned out the egg and filled it to the top of the fire ring.  i put the ribs on at about 225 and it slowly rose to 250, where i held it.

AHA# 196703