Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476983 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #720 on: November 29, 2010, 06:44:43 pm »
Wow, I've never seen a clean water pan - except new out of the box. I just throw mine in the fire pit every now and then and it's clean enough since I never use what's in the pan. Gotta say I'm happy to see there's only one guy here with a spotless water pan.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #721 on: November 29, 2010, 07:14:16 pm »
Wow, I've never seen a clean water pan - except new out of the box. I just throw mine in the fire pit every now and then and it's clean enough since I never use what's in the pan. Gotta say I'm happy to see there's only one guy here with a spotless water pan.

I don't use a water pan on my smoker.  My parents' crappy electric smoker has a water pan.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #722 on: November 29, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »
I clean my water pan after every use.  In fact, I try to keep my smoker pretty clean in general.  I let it go once and mold began to grow on the inside...it was nasty.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #723 on: November 30, 2010, 05:44:23 am »
I clean my water pan after every use.  In fact, I try to keep my smoker pretty clean in general.  I let it go once and mold began to grow on the inside...it was nasty.

My S.O.P. is to intend to clean the pan after each use. More often than not I realize I didn't the next time I take off the lid to fire it up again. Seen some interesting stuff.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #724 on: November 30, 2010, 07:20:12 am »
how about bacon wrapped duck breasts.....  soaked the duck in buttermilk overnight and seasoned it, wrapped it in bacon and grilled.....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #725 on: November 30, 2010, 07:36:05 am »

+1

This is my SOP. I had a water pan that started to rust from lack of cleaning so I clean it out after every use now.
In fact it is so clean I can eat out of it.  8)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #726 on: November 30, 2010, 07:37:17 am »
how about bacon wrapped duck breasts.....  soaked the duck in buttermilk overnight and seasoned it, wrapped it in bacon and grilled.....

That will work for me.  ;)

Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #727 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:05 am »
I couldn't imagine not keeping a smoker or grill clean.  That is pretty nasty when you think about it.

If find the UDS is really easy to clean.  With no water pan, the drippings hit the charcoal and burn up, and I don't use sauces or marinades during the cooking process either, so none of that crap is dripping all over either.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #728 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:47 am »
I couldn't imagine not keeping a smoker or grill clean.  That is pretty nasty when you think about it.

If find the UDS is really easy to clean.  With no water pan, the drippings hit the charcoal and burn up, and I don't use sauces or marinades during the cooking process either, so none of that crap is dripping all over either.

i've never cleaned my grill besides removing ash and scraping the grate before i drop food on it.  am i the only one?

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #729 on: November 30, 2010, 09:21:37 am »
I clean my grill pretty good of the debris and grease with a wire brush or wad of paper. Then it gets a good spraying.

This gets done every time. I connected the dots years ago when I would get the sh!ts from a dirty gunked up grill. The heat of the fire isn't enough to tackle the whole job especially when using sugary BBQ sauces.

My understanding is "sand" in the water pan is better than water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #730 on: November 30, 2010, 09:41:01 am »
I clean my grill pretty good of the debris and grease with a wire brush or wad of paper. Then it gets a good spraying.

This gets done every time. I connected the dots years ago when I would get the sh!ts from a dirty gunked up grill. The heat of the fire isn't enough to tackle the whole job especially when using sugary BBQ sauces.

i haven't tried it yet, but what about a "burn out"?  would that work as well?

AHA# 196703

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #731 on: November 30, 2010, 10:25:30 am »

I can!  I worked at a Kansas City BBQ joint when I was a teenager.  I can very readily imagine!  :D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #732 on: November 30, 2010, 10:34:40 am »
If you are running a BBQ joint and keeping the grill hot most of the time it's not as much of a problem to have grease and debris in and around the grill. Keeping the grill at a minimum of 250-300F is a safe window.  Cleaning the grill of grease and debris at a minimum is sound practice. We don't want to ingest any harmful bacteria.

Here's a guide to food safety from the USDA.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/barbecue_food_safety/index.asp
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #733 on: November 30, 2010, 11:46:13 am »

i haven't tried it yet, but what about a "burn out"?  would that work as well?

Envisioning.... Maybe. Probably. Then give the grill a good going over with a brush and wipe. All I know is since adopting a clean grill procedure any "incidents" have dropped to zero.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #734 on: November 30, 2010, 05:43:50 pm »

i've never cleaned my grill besides removing ash and scraping the grate before i drop food on it.  am i the only one?

No your not the only one, I never clean any of my out door cooking gear. I just put it on the fire burn it off then brush it down liberally with cooking oil as it cools. This is how you season it. If it isn't stainless cleaning it off with soap or down to steel will promote rust. Just like a cast iron pan.

I even brush the smoker inside and out with oil regularly. It builds up.

So I guess I dont clean my outdoor stuff. I dirty it.  ::)
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us