Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 477067 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #540 on: October 19, 2010, 07:49:45 am »
Nice looking fatty.  Mmmmmmm

Brisket. Been holding off on that.  How long and at what temp?

that phatty looks awesome!

Thanks.

250-275 for 4hrs.

Fatty's rock!  8)

Thanks for turning me on to the Dizzy Pig products...I'm hooked for life now.  ;)

no problem...  those things are great!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #541 on: October 19, 2010, 10:01:43 am »
Looks like they took on a bit more color this time.
Yes, definitely some nice color developed.

I'm thinking that smoking in a smaller container next time will help concentrate the smoke and thus the smoke flavor.  Maybe the grill is just too big and empty for the amount of smoke given off.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #542 on: October 19, 2010, 10:09:13 am »

I'm thinking that smoking in a smaller container next time will help concentrate the smoke and thus the smoke flavor.  Maybe the grill is just too big and empty for the amount of smoke given off.

Yea...I think the level of perceived smoke flavor in the cheese is related to the level or amount of smoke that the cheese is exposed to during the smoking process.  If it is exposed to more smoke it should absorb more smoke....at least that's my thinking.
Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #543 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:28 am »
Yea...I think the level of perceived smoke flavor in the cheese is related to the level or amount of smoke that the cheese is exposed to during the smoking process.  If it is exposed to more smoke it should absorb more smoke....at least that's my thinking.

I did some 6-year old cheddar and mild gouda on my UDS a few weeks back using a couple chunks of cherry wood.  Ran it with the lid off to keep the heat under 90F.  Smoked for 1 hour.  Has more and better smoke flavour than the decent applewood smoked cheddar I can buy commercially.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #544 on: October 19, 2010, 11:24:18 am »

How about using a cardboard box with a lesser volume?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #545 on: October 19, 2010, 12:44:51 pm »

I did some 6-year old cheddar and mild gouda on my UDS a few weeks back using a couple chunks of cherry wood.  Ran it with the lid off to keep the heat under 90F.  Smoked for 1 hour.  Has more and better smoke flavour than the decent applewood smoked cheddar I can buy commercially.

I'd love to try some of that...
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #546 on: October 19, 2010, 01:05:08 pm »
How about using a cardboard box with a lesser volume?
That's what I'm thinking too.   :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #547 on: October 19, 2010, 01:11:34 pm »
I'd love to try some of that...

It turned out really good, much better than my attempt at beef jerky a few days prior - too salty, not smoky enough.  Brined the meat too long, and didn't add any liquid smoke, as I don't like using artificial stuff, and thought I'd get enough natural smoke flavour.  This batch will get finely chopped like bacon bits, and used in stews and chili.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:24:04 pm by markaberrant »

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #548 on: October 19, 2010, 01:15:13 pm »
I'm thinking that smoking in a smaller container next time will help concentrate the smoke and thus the smoke flavor.  Maybe the grill is just too big and empty for the amount of smoke given off.

Like I said earlier, in my experience, this was not true at all.  1 hour in a UDS (55 gallon drum) with no lid on a somewhat breezy day produced a ton of smoke flavour.  I used a couple small pieces of lump charcoal, then smothered them with small chunks of cherry wood.  There was smoke a plenty.

EDIT:  Looking back at your setup, I see you have one of those little cold smoker gizmos.  Yeah, maybe they don't produce nearly enough smoke.  On my setup, the cheese was totally immersed in billowy, smoky goodness.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:21:41 pm by markaberrant »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #549 on: October 19, 2010, 02:12:05 pm »
I'm thinking that smoking in a smaller container next time will help concentrate the smoke and thus the smoke flavor.  Maybe the grill is just too big and empty for the amount of smoke given off.

Like I said earlier, in my experience, this was not true at all.  1 hour in a UDS (55 gallon drum) with no lid on a somewhat breezy day produced a ton of smoke flavour.  I used a couple small pieces of lump charcoal, then smothered them with small chunks of cherry wood.  There was smoke a plenty.

EDIT:  Looking back at your setup, I see you have one of those little cold smoker gizmos.  Yeah, maybe they don't produce nearly enough smoke.  On my setup, the cheese was totally immersed in billowy, smoky goodness.
Yeah, those things give off wisps of smoke, so if I can capture and concentrate it a bit more that might help.  If I have a box at home I'll do it tonight and see what happens.  It's getting a lot colder though, hopefully that won't be a negative.  It'll probably smoke around 55F at best.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #550 on: October 19, 2010, 04:33:16 pm »
Yeah, those things give off wisps of smoke, so if I can capture and concentrate it a bit more that might help.  If I have a box at home I'll do it tonight and see what happens.  It's getting a lot colder though, hopefully that won't be a negative.  It'll probably smoke around 55F at best.

That seems pretty cold.  I would think the cheese could absorb more smoke at slightly warmer temps.  Mine was right around 85-90F and didn't melt.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #551 on: October 19, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »

That seems pretty cold.  I would think the cheese could absorb more smoke at slightly warmer temps.  Mine was right around 85-90F and didn't melt.
I think you're probably right, but I don't have a decent way to warm it up without it getting too warm.  I'll see if I can come up with anything.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #552 on: October 19, 2010, 10:11:37 pm »
I tried to smoke some cheese tonight, but couldn't get it going  :-\

I got a baking sheet, a box, the cheese, some foil-wrapped bricks to support the cheese, and the smoker filled with cherry wood dust.  I tried probably half a dozen times to light the dust and it would stop burning shortly after I took the flame away.  I thought maybe it was smothering in the box, so I raised one end and it didn't help.  I moved everything back to the grill and set it up there, but it still wouldn't stay smoking.  I dumped out all of the dust and re-packed it in case it was too tight, but it didn't help.  I even got to the point where I built a small fire under it with a box of matches, but as soon as the matches burned out the dust stopped smoking.

I gave it up for the night.  :( I think that there might be something wrong with the dust, even though it is the dust that they recommend.  It feels plenty dry, but maybe there's something else going on.  I'll clean it all out and try again tomorrow.  If it's still not working I might switch back to the hickory that worked so well last time. 
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #553 on: October 20, 2010, 04:30:52 am »
I tried to smoke some cheese tonight, but couldn't get it going  :-\

I got a baking sheet, a box, the cheese, some foil-wrapped bricks to support the cheese, and the smoker filled with cherry wood dust.  I tried probably half a dozen times to light the dust and it would stop burning shortly after I took the flame away.  I thought maybe it was smothering in the box, so I raised one end and it didn't help.  I moved everything back to the grill and set it up there, but it still wouldn't stay smoking.  I dumped out all of the dust and re-packed it in case it was too tight, but it didn't help.  I even got to the point where I built a small fire under it with a box of matches, but as soon as the matches burned out the dust stopped smoking.

I gave it up for the night.  :( I think that there might be something wrong with the dust, even though it is the dust that they recommend.  It feels plenty dry, but maybe there's something else going on.  I'll clean it all out and try again tomorrow.  If it's still not working I might switch back to the hickory that worked so well last time. 

Do you think it was damp or lack of O2.  Maybe try drying the dust in a 250F oven first.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #554 on: October 20, 2010, 10:28:52 am »
Do you think it was damp or lack of O2.  Maybe try drying the dust in a 250F oven first.
I don't know for sure, but that's a good idea, I'll try that.  I need to come up with a new way to light it, I used all of the fuel in my lighter too.  :-\
Tom Schmidlin