Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 477128 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #435 on: September 29, 2010, 12:36:01 am »
Oh I thought it had to be below 40F? The temps you describe sound better to me. Interesting.
Well, that's what they say . . .
http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/ColdSmoking.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #436 on: September 29, 2010, 12:46:14 am »
Ideal temps are 75-78F! I can see a cheese soaking up some smoke flavor in that range.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #437 on: September 29, 2010, 01:27:44 am »
Yeah, warm enough to be a bit soft . . . I imagine there would be some variability between cheese varieties and a softer cheese might not need to be as warm.  But it's a great starting point. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #438 on: September 29, 2010, 04:25:34 am »
For those of us in the US . . .

http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/Order%20USA.html

Very tempting, I might have to do that.
And . . .done.  Plus I ordered some cherry and hickory dust to go in it.  I want to smoke some cheese before Thanksgiving, this will give me a chance to practice a bit and get it done.  Thanks, I hadn't heard of that product.

That's one thing on my list. Smoked cheese...I've never cold smoked and want to try it.

I've seen quite a few fairly simple ways to do. Here's a simple method.

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/build-a-cold-smoker.html
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2010, 06:25:54 am »
To smoke cheese indirect in your egg, I've read to us three pieces of charcoal natural briquettes. I haven't tried it yet.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2010, 08:48:26 am »
And . . .done.  Plus I ordered some cherry and hickory dust to go in it.  I want to smoke some cheese before Thanksgiving, this will give me a chance to practice a bit and get it done.  Thanks, I hadn't heard of that product.

Here's a much cheaper source of dust.  I have 5lbs of mesquite and 5lbs of apple, and 5lbs of sawdust is a LOT of sawdust as you might imagine, this thing only uses a few ounces per burn.  I don't know if I'll ever use it all up.
edit: helps to include the link!
http://www.psseasoning.com/index.cfm/act/products.view/category_id/20

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2010, 10:03:44 am »
And . . .done.  Plus I ordered some cherry and hickory dust to go in it.  I want to smoke some cheese before Thanksgiving, this will give me a chance to practice a bit and get it done.  Thanks, I hadn't heard of that product.

Here's a much cheaper source of dust.  I have 5lbs of mesquite and 5lbs of apple, and 5lbs of sawdust is a LOT of sawdust as you might imagine, this thing only uses a few ounces per burn.  I don't know if I'll ever use it all up.
edit: helps to include the link!
http://www.psseasoning.com/index.cfm/act/products.view/category_id/20
Things that would have been good to know YESTERDAY!   :(

No big deal, if it works well for me I'll order a bunch of the other stuff.  I can use it as a change from the typical madrona/apple/plum that I use.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #442 on: October 03, 2010, 03:15:41 am »
The pork butt is on! 18 lbs covered in salt and bone suckin' sauce.(dry rub)
Mostly lump, some briquettes - some fist sized mesquite chunks.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #443 on: October 03, 2010, 08:32:23 am »
I have beef jerky going in the smoker this morning (after marinading/brining for 60 hours).  It is running at a nice 160-170F with a big hunk of mesquite.

Once it is done, I may try doing some cheese if I can get it cool enough.  Bought a big chunk each of gouda and aged cheddar to try with some cherry wood.

And if all this turns out, I'm bringing it to our homebrew club meeting on Wednesday.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #444 on: October 03, 2010, 11:05:55 am »
The pork butt is on! 18 lbs covered in salt and bone suckin' sauce.(dry rub)
Mostly lump, some briquettes - some fist sized mesquite chunks.

Post some pics!  8)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #445 on: October 03, 2010, 11:06:53 am »
I have beef jerky going in the smoker this morning (after marinading/brining for 60 hours).  It is running at a nice 160-170F with a big hunk of mesquite.

Once it is done, I may try doing some cheese if I can get it cool enough.  Bought a big chunk each of gouda and aged cheddar to try with some cherry wood.

And if all this turns out, I'm bringing it to our homebrew club meeting on Wednesday.

What marinade recipe did you use for the jerky?
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #446 on: October 03, 2010, 05:44:04 pm »

This is half of it. 18 lbs went on at 4 this morning. Started the fire at 3am. Pulled it off at 10 when it hit 160 and wrapped it and put it in the cooler for a couple hours until the guests arrived. Pulled it and hit it with Carolina style sauce.

Crock pot just to keep it warm, cider vinegar, brown sugar, chile powder and pepper flakes.

Yeah, festive - Halloween plates. Cole Slaw on the sammich, gnocchi with italian sausage, and gibanica.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 05:51:14 pm by beerocd »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #447 on: October 03, 2010, 07:18:40 pm »
That looks fantastic!

Next time you get a chance...post a pic of the franken-WSM.

Nice looking bark on that shoulder.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:21:10 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #448 on: October 03, 2010, 07:52:02 pm »
I gotta wipe it down before I can post that. Dripped like crazy today, it's pretty ugly right now. Picking up the meat, my fingers would just go right through it, it was so soft. I overestimated the fuel, it was still going so good I rummaged for some more meat and came up with a ham. that went from ten till three. I'll be eating this pretty much all week, I'll be pork Gump with all the different ways I'm gonna eat this stuff. Not like it's a bad thing...
I shoulda taken pics when I was shredding it but I was pressed for time and didn't even think I was gonna post pics until bluesman requested them. anyway, there was a nice smoke ring a bit better than a quarter inch all around. The bark was incredible, if you're not into making your own rubs yet - Bone Sucking Sauce is pretty darn good.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:57:16 pm by beerocd »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #449 on: October 03, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »
Not like it's a bad thing...

It ain't! Looks wonderful! Betcha it's good on rice or potatoes too!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis