Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 483246 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2010, 08:34:52 pm »
Smoked ice cubes in one of those meat-tinis would be cool.

Hmm, how about half a drop of liquid smoke in an ice cube for that...
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2010, 08:37:56 pm »
We don't do things the easy way here...  >:(
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2010, 11:50:09 pm »
Smoked ice cubes in one of those meat-tinis would be cool. I'll probably spend as much as one of those units rigging up a way to avoid paying for one of those units.  :P

Hah! That's how my brewery was put together!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2010, 08:16:06 am »
im convinced, im getting one.

I like it too.  I am definitely in the market for a cold smoke generator.
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #244 on: August 12, 2010, 09:40:46 am »
Sooo...to those acquainted with balkan cured meats...any opinions on the smoked/cured/dried pork loin?  I got one of these, I think its a suva svinyska prsuta or something.  Scared the dickens out of my wife for how red it looked when sliced, it being pork and all, but quite interesting.  We think we still prefer suva govedina on the whole but it was nonetheless rather an interesting product. 

For dinner last night I had a huge plate of suva govedina, the prsuta, ljuta kobasica, cheese, roasted red peppers, green olives, black olives, dill pickles, celery sticks, green peppers, cucumber, ajvar and crackers.  Oh, and lots of beer.  The wife had friends over so I holed up in the mancave and watched Michael Caine affect a poncey British officer (still, a VC recipient, though) in "Zulu".  Such a frightfully entertaining, albeit grossly inaccurate, movie.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2010, 10:40:01 am »
I'm thinking about curing and smoking a Turkey Breast this weekend.  If I can get a good turkey breast at the local market I want to brine it for two days in the following:

1 gallon hot water
1 pound kosher salt
2 quarts vegetable broth
1 pound honey
1 (7-pound) bag of ice
1 (15 to 20-pound) turkey, with giblets removed
Vegetable oil

Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.

Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly. Rub the bird thoroughly with the vegetable oil and start smokin'!

What do you think?  Comments?  Suggestions?

Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2010, 10:45:19 am »
Sooo...to those acquainted with balkan cured meats...any opinions on the smoked/cured/dried pork loin?  I got one of these, I think its a suva svinyska prsuta or something.  Scared the dickens out of my wife for how red it looked when sliced, it being pork and all, but quite interesting.  We think we still prefer suva govedina on the whole but it was nonetheless rather an interesting product. 

For dinner last night I had a huge plate of suva govedina, the prsuta, ljuta kobasica, cheese, roasted red peppers, green olives, black olives, dill pickles, celery sticks, green peppers, cucumber, ajvar and crackers.  Oh, and lots of beer. 

Suvi vrat and prsut are two different cuts. The loin is often referred to as suvi vrat - prsut is prosciutto. Was the piece you had a bit more on the mush side, also was yours kinda the marbleized cut or the ultra lean meat only cut? I prefer the loin a little drier, it has better mouthfeel. You just basically have to try everything at least once and decide what you like from that.

That plate is almost perfect - I'd toss the celery and crackers and sub in some kajmak and fresh bread.  ;D

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2010, 10:49:19 am »
I'm thinking about curing and smoking a Turkey Breast this weekend.  If I can get a good turkey breast at the local market I want to brine it for two days in the following:
1 pound honey

Is the honey actually going to penetrate into the meat? Could injecting warm honey give you a bigger bang for your buck since you won't need to use anywhere near as much honey?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2010, 10:52:15 am »
1 pound honey

Is the honey actually going to penetrate into the meat? Could injecting warm honey give you a bigger bang for your buck since you won't need to use anywhere near as much honey?

Yes that is a great method but I am brining the turkey so the honey is used to flavor and sweeten the brine.
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2010, 11:06:00 am »
Well, be sure to report back to us. I am interested as to how much honey comes through in the final product. I am sure it will taste great, but being a cheapskate, I don't think I'd dump 5-6 bux worth of honey into a brining solution.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #250 on: August 12, 2010, 11:31:14 am »
Well, be sure to report back to us. I am interested as to how much honey comes through in the final product. I am sure it will taste great, but being a cheapskate, I don't think I'd dump 5-6 bux worth of honey into a brining solution.

Substituting brown sugar will work great as well if money is an issue.
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2010, 12:17:45 pm »
Suvi vrat and prsut are two different cuts. The loin is often referred to as suvi vrat - prsut is prosciutto. Was the piece you had a bit more on the mush side, also was yours kinda the marbleized cut or the ultra lean meat only cut? I prefer the loin a little drier, it has better mouthfeel. You just basically have to try everything at least once and decide what you like from that.
That plate is almost perfect - I'd toss the celery and crackers and sub in some kajmak and fresh bread.  ;D

Totally meant to post this in ethnic cooking, oh well...at least the meat was smoked, if not by me! The labelling just said "pork loin" and googling I think led me to think prsut was correct.  The piece I had was very firm, but almost a jelly-like glossiness to it, on the inside and out.  Very strange.  Certainly dense and not really mushy.  I would say its similar to the dried beef (nothing near as soft as slanina), but that gelatiny gloss, and a textural uniformity, unlike the beef.  I'd say suvi vrat sounds like it!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2010, 01:16:12 pm »

Not quite as simple as that (I'm complicated  :P). Putting it another way it's like frying up a pound of bacon (and then throwing it away) so you can have the grease to fry liver and onions in.

Know that I'm not knocking you or your methods. I would just have to have you come back and say OMG best turkey ever before I would try something like that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:52:39 pm by beerocd »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2010, 01:28:59 pm »

Not quite as simple as that (I'm complicated  :P). Putting it another way it's like frying up a pound of bacon (and then throwing it away) so you can have the grease to fry liver and onions in.

RDWHAHB    ;D
Ron Price

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2010, 01:46:01 pm »
Could similar results be had by mixing up a much smaller batch of the brining solution and injecting it into the meat, then allowing that to sit for a while?
Founding member, California Street Brewery