Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 475677 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2370 on: April 24, 2014, 10:37:11 am »
Great to see the BBQ thread revived yet once again.

. Care to share your recipe?

+1. Recipe please.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2371 on: April 24, 2014, 12:06:31 pm »
Great to see the BBQ thread revived yet once again.

. Care to share your recipe?

+1. Recipe please.

Yeah the pic of those thighs and that chorizo is giving me fits. Must learn. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2372 on: April 24, 2014, 08:53:54 pm »
Ahh! Thanks for the advice!

The recipe? Hmm.

1000g butt trimmings
500g fat
2% kosher salt
30g sugar
0.25% cure #1 (3/4 tsp approx) Skip if you want fresh sausage but cook within a week.
3-5 cloves of garlic minced/chopped
2-3g sweet smoked paprika powder
2g pepper
1-2g cumin
1/2 cup ce-cold red wine/port

Coarse grind butt and fat. Mix in spices and then the wine once it starts to get tacky. Stuff into casings immediately and hang at room temp to dry up towards of 24 hours depending on temp and comfort level. Or hang in a fridge or on a rack overnight.

Then they can be either cold-smoked, hot smoked, poached or baked and then chilled. I vacseal and then poach usually. Sometimes after a cold smoking. Once I've vac'd them they can keep in the fridge for a very long time. Or in the freezer for even longer without any deterioration.

Feel free to vary the spices etc, but not the salt and cure unless you have your own method of curing. Always a work in progress my sausage making is...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2373 on: April 25, 2014, 10:41:42 am »
Sounds delicious euge...Thanks for posting!  :) 

I highly recommend the "cure" that euge refers to if your cold smoking.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cold_smoking.html

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/smoke-sausage.html
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2374 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20:07 pm »
Thanks Ron!

I'd like to add that even when "curing" it's best to keep the meat very cold as a general rule. The salt and the cure #1 can be applied to the cubes/strips of meat and kept and cured in a covered bowl/tub resting in the fridge 24-48 hours before grinding. I happen to prefer curing my sausage in the casing which is also perfectly acceptable and quite traditional.

If one is seriously interested in doing sausage correctly and of a professional quality on a nano scale- i.e. one kilo or more, there is a wealth of information out there but I highly recommend Ruhlman and Poleyn's "Charcuterie" and the Marianski Bros' "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" with a preference tending towards the latter book.

Since taking on this practice I have only bought sausage twice in over two years and now make all of my own ham, hocks, bacon, pancetta, guanciale and sliceable sandwich meats such as pastrami.

That being said commercial sausage tends to have significantly more water incorporated and an even higher percentage of salt; the fat content almost certainly exceeds 30%. The salt and fat makes the product very tasty but less healthy for the consumer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2375 on: April 29, 2014, 07:42:14 am »
DigiQ came in yesterday!

Works as advertised. I did a single spatchcocked cornish-hen seasoned with Lawry's salt and tossed a couple kielbasa on towards the end.

Built for a smaller fire, lit the very top and let the unit bring it up to 250F as my setpoint. It overshot by ten degrees, but after opening the egg and placing the meat on the temp dropped and then stayed at the setpoint. The "open-lid detect" feature worked well when I tossed the sausage on and the temp dropped 50 degrees. The unit didn't go nuts but delayed starting the fan operation while the ambient pit temp rose unassisted. About 238F the blower came on and took it back to the setpoint

Knowing my egg and how it can take off, I closed the blower's damper nearly all the way once reaching 250. For a hotter cook or more meat than a single little chicken obviously the damper gap should be increased. Would have the blower work a little extra on a narrow restriction than have the draw pulling too much air in.

The cook ran about 2 hours and used about half the fuel.

I ran my probes through the top but am interested in how others route theirs.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #2376 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:43 am »
I ran my probes through the top but am interested in how others route theirs.

Once I replaced the felt, I sliced it in a couple of places deep enough for the probe cables to snug into... so a total of 4 cuts. Once you place your probes, you can run the cables over and press them into the slits and they stay fairly well. Doesn't hurt the seal at all. With the new seal, I have been wetting it down with water before each cook as well, so it swells up a bit.

I love the open-lid detect as well. Great feature.

i'll take a pic or two next time.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2377 on: April 29, 2014, 05:16:24 pm »
I burnt my gasket off and haven't replaced it. Have been considering doing this: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/permatex.htm

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2378 on: April 30, 2014, 10:45:35 am »
Anyone have any BBQ sauce favorites, recipes or discussion. We've talked about this before at one point but thought it would good to revive. I use Steve Raichlen's BBQ Sauce recipe here:

http://www.lyndasrecipebox.com/2009/07/basic-barbecue-sauce-from-steven.html

....but add honey and bourbon to knock it up a notch. I love the deep magogany color of this sauce, not to mention the complexity of the flavors with the honey and bourbon.

I'd like to take a pint or two of barleywine and reduce it down to a syrup and add to this recipe in place of the honey but still keep the bourbon.

Ron Price

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2379 on: July 04, 2014, 07:48:42 am »

Anyone have any BBQ sauce favorites, recipes or discussion. We've talked about this before at one point but thought it would good to revive.

I found this here: http://www.foxnews.com/recipe/peter-kaminskys-bacon-jam

Serve this versatile condiment with just about anything. Actually you can serve all by itself on grilled bread. All the basic tastes are there (salty, sweet, sour, bitter, umami) plus some spicy heat. The jam will keep for about a week when stored in the fridge.Yield 1-1 ½ cups

INGREDIENTS

½ pound smoked bacon, diced into ½ pieces
1 large shallot, diced (about ¼ cup)
¼-½ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sherry vinegar
2 tbs blood orange juice (or regular orange juice)
2 tbs dark rum
3 slices fresh ginger, rough dice
1 tsp honey
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

PREPARATION

Step 1
Cook the bacon over medium to medium low heat, adjusting the heat as necessary and stirring often, until browned and crisp and the fat is rendered.

Step 2
Drain the bacon on a paper-towel lined plate. Reserve a few tablespoons of drippings in the skillet.

Step 3
Add the shallots to the reserved drippings and cook over medium low heat about 2 minutes, stirring often and scraping up the browned bits.

Step 4
Return the bacon to the pan; add the brown sugar, honey, rum, vinegar, orange juice, red pepper flakes and ginger. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 10 to 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.

Step 5
Transfer to a mini-food processor; pulse until the bacon is finely diced but not pureed, turning off the motor several times to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Step 6
Store finished jam in the refrigerator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2380 on: July 04, 2014, 01:08:48 pm »
This just reminded me to go mop the brisket...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2381 on: February 01, 2015, 02:55:59 pm »
Super Bowl Sunday.  Blizzard in Chicago.  I've shoveled three times so far today.

But I must have a clear path to the smoker.

4 racks of baby backs.  One spatch-cocked turkey.

All rubbed with Phil's Gooba Dust fresh from sunny San Diego.

Bring it on!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2382 on: February 01, 2015, 03:00:12 pm »
Super Bowl Sunday.  Blizzard in Chicago.  I've shoveled three times so far today.

Bring it on!

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #2383 on: February 01, 2015, 03:14:15 pm »

Bring it on!

This is crazy fun stuff- im on my 3 rd shovel as well out here in Barrington guessing we have 6 to 8 what do you have in the city Joe?
Jimmykx250

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2384 on: February 01, 2015, 03:24:01 pm »
8 minimum, but I'm by the lake.

Some tool just parked in front of my house in the spot I've shoveled twice for my wife.

Ice him in?