Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 475697 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2340 on: May 09, 2013, 10:38:22 am »
Along with brewing I smoked a few Baby Back Ribs for the Brew Club.

only 25 racks?
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: AHA Big Brew Day & Ribfest
« Reply #2341 on: May 09, 2013, 10:48:52 am »

Only a few  :)

How did it go?  Looks good! How big is your smoker...pics?

All went well. Ribs took about 3 hours @ 275F. The wind was brutal @ 30 mph+. The temp controller (IQUE-110) worked like a charm and kept the air moving through. Without it we wouldn't have eaten. There were 25 racks of Baby Backs. They took up 3 racks in the smoker and one rack was dedicated to Baked Beans. I think I posted pics of the smoker earlier but here ya go. I designed it last winter & had a local welding shop fabricate it for me. Cheers!!!

Just after paint & hardware:

The guts less the charcoal basket:

Finished with decking & a storage box. The canopy will come in real handy on those rainy days...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2342 on: May 09, 2013, 10:50:07 am »

only 25 racks?

I know. I'm a slacker....  ;)
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2343 on: May 09, 2013, 10:51:24 am »
That's sweet.  I max out around 7 racks on my smoker.

Maybe I need to talk to the wife about an upgrade.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2344 on: May 09, 2013, 10:55:09 am »
That's sweet.  I max out around 7 racks on my smoker.

Maybe I need to talk to the wife about an upgrade.

I know what you mean.... Here's how I sold it to the Wifey...  "I'm just borrowing it from the next owner."  and "If I don't do it now I'll regret it the rest of my life 'cause I'm not getting any younger."  Cheers!!!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2345 on: May 09, 2013, 12:05:18 pm »
Here's the BBQ guru Steven Raichlen's KC style BBQ Sauce recipe. I give it the bluesman's twist by adding some New Mexico chili powder to it. A fantastic all- around grilling sauce. Slather it on anythiing form babybacks to burgers.

Basic Barbecue Sauce Recipe
This is the type of sauce that most people in the United States think of as barbecue sauce: Brown sugar and molasses make it sweet; liquid smoke makes it smoky--there isn't a Kansas City pit boss around who wouldn't recognize it as local. Slather it on ribs and chicken, spoon it over pork shoulder, and serve it with anything else you may fancy. You won't be disappointed.

Makes about 2-1/2 cups

2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon of your favorite barbecue rub
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and bring slowly to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer the sauce until dark, thick, and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the sauce to clean (or even sterile) jars and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.
I do something pretty similar but with a couple of twists.  All the "heat" comes from new Mexico red chile powder, some mild but mostly hot or extra hot.  Also I use homemade malt vinegar instead of cider vinegar, and I leave out the liquid smoke.  Very finely diced shallots and garlic take the place of the dry rub ingredients.  But the ketchup/brown sugar/mustard base is the same.  lately I've been adding about a cup of homebrewed stout or porter also.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2346 on: May 09, 2013, 03:09:18 pm »

only 25 racks?

I know. I'm a slacker....  ;)

hahahaha!

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2347 on: June 18, 2013, 07:27:17 am »

i'll be turning the leftovers into a tri tip cheese steak tonight for dinner.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2348 on: June 18, 2013, 10:44:02 am »
Here's the BBQ guru Steven Raichlen's KC style BBQ Sauce recipe. I give it the bluesman's twist by adding some New Mexico chili powder to it. A fantastic all- around grilling sauce. Slather it on anythiing form babybacks to burgers.

This is the type of sauce that most people in the United States think of as barbecue sauce: Brown sugar and molasses make it sweet; liquid smoke makes it smoky--there isn't a Kansas City pit boss around who wouldn't recognize it as local. Slather it on ribs and chicken, spoon it over pork shoulder, and serve it with anything else you may fancy. You won't be disappointed.

Makes about 2-1/2 cups

2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons liquid smoke

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and bring slowly to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer the sauce until dark, thick, and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the sauce to clean (or even sterile) jars and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.
I do something pretty similar but with a couple of twists.  All the "heat" comes from new Mexico red chile powder, some mild but mostly hot or extra hot.  Also I use homemade malt vinegar instead of cider vinegar, and I leave out the liquid smoke.  Very finely diced shallots and garlic take the place of the dry rub ingredients.  But the ketchup/brown sugar/mustard base is the same.  lately I've been adding about a cup of homebrewed stout or porter also.

Sounds like a winner to me!  8)

Adding your own twist makes it yours.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2349 on: June 18, 2013, 10:45:29 am »

i'll be turning the leftovers into a tri tip cheese steak tonight for dinner.

It's always a great time to BBQ!  8)

Looking good as usual DS
Ron Price

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2350 on: June 18, 2013, 11:03:30 am »

Makes about 2-1/2 cups

2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons liquid smoke

Sounds like a winner to me!  8)

Adding your own twist makes it yours.
+1.  That's almost a carbon copy of my BBQ sauce, except I usually add a pureed can (or 2) of chipotles with the Adobo sauce. Very tasty.  +1 to anytime beiing a good time to bbq !
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2351 on: June 18, 2013, 11:09:52 am »
Sir Loin? :D That steak looks perfect.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2352 on: June 18, 2013, 11:11:56 am »
Sir Loin? :D That steak looks perfect.

tri tip, but they seem to trim them a bit different over here than they do out west.

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2353 on: August 04, 2013, 07:34:59 pm »

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:26:12 am by deepsouth »

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2354 on: August 05, 2013, 10:20:12 am »

Wow!

Don't keep us in suspense...what's the recipe and bbq process for this bad boy! :)
Ron Price