Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 475847 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2160 on: October 22, 2012, 02:11:37 am »
Got the BGE up to nearly 900 F last night, for makin' some delicious Chicken Tikka Masala (Blumenthal type).

Need a new gasket.

It was the last night that my dad and stepmom were in town. I like the idea of a sacrificial gasket-melting for a big event.

:)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2161 on: October 22, 2012, 08:24:17 am »
Got the BGE up to nearly 900 F last night, for makin' some delicious Chicken Tikka Masala (Blumenthal type).

Need a new gasket.

It was the last night that my dad and stepmom were in town. I like the idea of a sacrificial gasket-melting for a big event.

:)

lol

Mine went bye-bye when I decided to "burn it out" and never thought about what would happen to the gasket. Man it was glowing red inside the cooker. I must have cleared 1100F in there- but it looked as new inside as the day I bought it.

So far I haven't replaced the gasket. Doesn't seem to affect the performance though I do notice a little convection escaping through the millimeter gap. I'm thinking of making my own instead of throwing $20 towards a new one.

Any ideas?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2162 on: October 22, 2012, 08:34:57 am »
Not sure about the construction but the asbestos ropes they use to seal wood stove doors would probably do the trick. Maybe stove putty but I think that is designed to stay put and would get brittle.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2163 on: October 22, 2012, 10:51:59 am »
One of these days I'm going to buy a BGE. I need another BBQ grill like I need a hole in my head but they are very appealing. I like their thermal capacity and their ability to hold their temperature.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2164 on: October 22, 2012, 11:25:16 am »
One of these days I'm going to buy a BGE. I need another BBQ grill like I need a hole in my head but they are very appealing. I like their thermal capacity and their ability to hold their temperature.

The Egg has helped transform my que'ing, smoking and grilling due to the control and efficiency. However, I'm considering selling it and buying an thick-walled offset with a smoker box. Unfortunately, the Egg is just too limited on space and it doesn't have a cool spot anywhere to move meat/food. It's all or nothing baby...

I'd like the offset with a smoker-box so I can grill, smoke or que in the main chamber and cold smoke hanging sausages and meat in the box. Not at the same time obviously but it's impossible to hang sausage properly in the Egg's dome space.

Not exactly what I want but something along the lines of this:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2165 on: October 22, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »

The Egg has helped transform my que'ing, smoking and grilling due to the control and efficiency. However, I'm considering selling it and buying an thick-walled offset with a smoker box. Unfortunately, the Egg is just too limited on space and it doesn't have a cool spot anywhere to move meat/food. It's all or nothing baby...

I'd like the offset with a smoker-box so I can grill, smoke or que in the main chamber and cold smoke hanging sausages and meat in the box. Not at the same time obviously but it's impossible to hang sausage properly in the Egg's dome space.

Not exactly what I want but something along the lines of this:

Wow.  That would be awesome, but it's not $1600 awesome to me.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2166 on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:05 pm »
I agree. It ain't happening anytime soon.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2167 on: October 24, 2012, 10:49:54 am »

...but it sure is very cool looking. I'll bet could do some serious Q on that equipment.  :)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2168 on: October 24, 2012, 11:01:12 am »

...but it sure is very cool looking. I'll bet could do some serious Q on that equipment.  :)

I think you cover all the bases with that unit!

Halfway leaning towards an electric puck smoker but don;t really want to be tied to buying "pucks" from someone. I'm sure I could come up with DIY puck. But people do rave about their electric smokers...

Dunno

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #2169 on: October 24, 2012, 04:08:31 pm »
Just ordered a Cookshack Smokette Elite for my parents.  Excellent quality electric smoker, can use chunks for smoke.  Smaller home version of the commercial Fast Eddie Cookshack.  Couple buddies in town have them and are quite happy with the food coming out of these things.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/Smokette-Elite-Model-SM025

My parents are leaving the country for the next 5 months, so they want me to break in and learn how to use it over the winter... may have to do some side by side cookoffs with my UDS.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2170 on: October 25, 2012, 07:47:57 pm »
I learned today that pork hocks need to be brined or soaked in buttermilk before cooking. I put two after cleaning well in a pot of mustard greens. There was still that musty funk that I find disagreeable. When I brined/cured them before the funk had vanished. I popped these in a 400* oven and further roasted them for 45 minutes. Ate them with sauerkraut and carrots- thankfully I had plenty of homemade spicy ground mustard as a condiment because to combat the odor.

I'll eat the stinkiest cheese but somehow that stanky hock smell just turns me off. :P

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2171 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »
I learned today that pork hocks need to be brined or soaked in buttermilk before cooking. I put two after cleaning well in a pot of mustard greens. There was still that musty funk that I find disagreeable. When I brined/cured them before the funk had vanished. I popped these in a 400* oven and further roasted them for 45 minutes. Ate them with sauerkraut and carrots- thankfully I had plenty of homemade spicy ground mustard as a condiment because to combat the odor.

I'll eat the stinkiest cheese but somehow that stanky hock smell just turns me off. :P

I find the best way to prepare smoked ham hocks is to stew them after smoking. The instilled flavor and aroma goes well with a tomato based stew or vegetable based soup/stew. Otherwise the flavor and texture of the meat is just a little overpowering and tough to deal with.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2172 on: October 26, 2012, 07:56:49 am »
Ron, we get these at Prost.  They are awesome, mild smoky flavor and very tender.  Next time you're over, we should stop by.  I hear they have doubled the beers they have avaialble on tap, too!  Sehr gut!

Fliegende Schweinchen

Have you ever seen pigs fly? Well ours do! Our very
own flying pigs are bone in ham hocks that are so tender
it’ll blow your mind. They come in orders of four and with
your choice of hot sauce, honey mustard, Barbecue, or our very
own boozy sauce for dipping…$9.95
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2173 on: October 26, 2012, 10:21:16 am »
Have you ever seen pigs fly? Well ours do! Our very
own flying pigs are bone in ham hocks that are so tender
it’ll blow your mind. They come in orders of four and with
your choice of hot sauce, honey mustard, Barbecue, or our very
own boozy sauce for dipping…$9.95
Wow, orders of four for $9.95?  They have to be much smaller than what I had in Germany.  One was a meal, with potatoes and rotkohl.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2174 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:26 am »
Just ordered a Cookshack Smokette Elite for my parents.  Excellent quality electric smoker, can use chunks for smoke.  Smaller home version of the commercial Fast Eddie Cookshack.  Couple buddies in town have them and are quite happy with the food coming out of these things.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/Smokette-Elite-Model-SM025

My parents are leaving the country for the next 5 months, so they want me to break in and learn how to use it over the winter... may have to do some side by side cookoffs with my UDS.

Another very nice piece there as well...Lucky guy!
Ron Price