Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 475906 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2070 on: March 19, 2012, 09:29:59 am »
No mustard no injection. Just a rub and 17 hours in the smoker. The rub is a secret but there is mustard powder in it. ;)

Secret??? We don't keep secrets here. :D

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #2071 on: March 19, 2012, 01:25:03 pm »
No pics, but last night threw the following on the smoker:

baby potatoes
brussel sprouts
beer brined hot wings (make my own crazy sort of beer hot sauce brine that eventually turns into a sticky finishing sauce)
steelhead trout

It was a fine feast indeed, and only took an hour to cook (30 minutes for the trout).  Just saying that not all BBQ takes hours and hours.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2072 on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:46 am »
Sounds awesome Mark!!!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2073 on: March 20, 2012, 10:59:57 am »
My lastest smoke was a couple racks of baby backs. I used mustard, brown sugar and Dinosaur Four Play rub. They smoked for 4 hrs at 225F.

I also grilled some Chicken Breasts that were marinated overnight in Pride of the Deer Camp BBQ.  8)

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2074 on: March 20, 2012, 11:20:23 am »
Nice. And right at lunch time too! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2075 on: March 21, 2012, 10:47:57 pm »
Tom...Keep your eyes on Craigslist.
I finally scored one, picked it up tonight for $5 cash and $6 in gas round trip.  Not bad.

The only problem - the lid doesn't fit quite as well as I'd hoped.  Has anyone used one of these weber lids for a UDS lid?  How did you mod it?  It covers no problem, but it will definitely be leaky and it is a bit precarious.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2076 on: March 22, 2012, 07:29:44 am »
Tom,

Nice score!

Try getting a stove gasket from these guys or even the HD.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/wood-stove/wood-stove-accessories/woodstove-gaskets.html
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2077 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:36 am »
Tom,

Nice score!

Try getting a stove gasket from these guys or even the HD.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/wood-stove/wood-stove-accessories/woodstove-gaskets.html
Thanks Ron, I'll see what they have at HD but I probably won't have time for the mod until next weekend.  Worst case I can order online.  A gasket, a little cement . . . that should seal it up nicely.  I'm going to have to bend the bottom flange to get it to fit right, but I think that will be pretty easy.  I hope so anyway. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #2078 on: March 25, 2012, 05:23:37 pm »
I'm smoking some chuck roasts now to make those sandwiches markaberrant posted a couple of days ago.
http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

I made another batch of this yesterday.

Brined the chuck first in 1L of thick and malty RIS with 2 tbsp salt and 1tbsp brown sugar (my standard brine ratio).

Smoked for 3 hours, then wrapped in foil and finished in the oven.

While this was going on, I sauteed the onions, peppers and garlic, then added the leftover brine, pureed, and reduced it down to a thick sauce.

Pulled the beef, added the sauce, and took it to our homebrew club's potluck dinner.  There wasn't any left to take home! *** I did keep a little at little at home for tonights dinner.  Yum.

Next up is turkey pastrami.  Anyone done it before?  I picked up an awesome deli slicer (Chef's Choice 609) on my recent trip to the US, does a beautiful job on my beef pastrami, need to try something else.

Now I just remembered we have another potluck next Saturday, so I'll probably have to make some more BBQ.  Maybe I'll do pulled pork, the debate will be whether to do my vinegar sauce or mustard sauce.  Sweet tomato sucks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:31:29 am by markaberrant »

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2079 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:13 pm »
Roast duck, used the oven recipe in the egg, best thing was the house had no smoke it it!

Before, wow red shift it was as white as my legswith just salt and pepper

and after

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2080 on: April 03, 2012, 01:07:11 am »
And did your method approach? lol

How did it taste, cut etc?

Looks good but you didn't do it at 400 did you...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2081 on: April 03, 2012, 05:22:27 am »
Looks like it has a nice crispy skin. How did it turn out inside?

Nice looking waterfowl!  8)
Ron Price

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #2082 on: April 03, 2012, 10:05:44 pm »
That's a pretty duck.  You must have one clean bbq pit.  I don't see a blackened speck of grill line on it. 

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2083 on: April 07, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »
Yep 400 and last 20 minutes was 450, it was moist as always, I just did a high roast duck recipe that was done in the kithcen but that smoked out the house. It was not brined but it oozed water when carving. So I did the same roast on the egg. Nice catch Loopy I wire brush and use a paper towel soaked in Olive oil to soak the grill.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2084 on: April 13, 2012, 11:04:36 am »
My lastest smoke was a couple racks of baby backs. I used mustard, brown sugar and Dinosaur Four Play rub. They smoked for 4 hrs at 225F.

I also grilled some Chicken Breasts that were marinated overnight in Pride of the Deer Camp BBQ.  8)

The ribs were awesome 8)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim