Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476148 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1770 on: December 24, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »
Picked up the gingersnaps. But now I have to work so my sauerbraten plans are shot for christmas day. Off again on tuesday. Can I leave the roast in the marinade that long?

I was thinking of cooking it tonight and reheating then and taking the dish up to work tomorrow.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1771 on: December 25, 2011, 02:38:55 pm »
Picked up the gingersnaps. But now I have to work so my sauerbraten plans are shot for christmas day. Off again on tuesday. Can I leave the roast in the marinade that long?

I was thinking of cooking it tonight and reheating then and taking the dish up to work tomorrow.

Should be fine, the vinegar acts as a preservative.  I left my last one for a week at 33F.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1772 on: December 25, 2011, 09:00:38 pm »

Should be fine, the vinegar acts as a preservative.  I left my last one for a week at 33F.

+1

It will have a little more flavor and be more tender when left to marinade longer.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1773 on: December 25, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »
Still in marinade in fridge. Will cook on Tuesday. I think you can leave the roast up to ten days in the marinade.

Picked up a whole chicken and did a five hour smoke spatchcocked with salt and pepper.

Turned out very well.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1774 on: December 27, 2011, 09:29:05 pm »
Yeah...I see that Euge. You may try emailing him to confirm his method.

Maybe I should email Chris Kimball too. ;D

You want his phone #?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1775 on: December 27, 2011, 09:30:03 pm »
Just finished eating two amazing gut busting plates of fork tender sauerbraten accompanied by a nice glass of cab and a Lat 48. Served with pressure cooked Yukon Gold potatoes, onions and carrots. Followed AB's recipe including the 5oz of gingersnaps. The sauce is thick but appropriate.

I cooked the roast in a glass dish with a glass plate placed over the roast. This was to keep the foil off the meat but also serves to focus heat.

Five days in the marinade:

In the oven:

With the sauce:

I'll leave the rest up to you imagination. :D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1776 on: December 27, 2011, 09:34:21 pm »
With the sauce:

I'll leave the rest up to you imagination. :D

That looks fabulous euge.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1777 on: December 28, 2011, 12:37:46 am »
Nice euge, I'm not hungry but I'm suddenly hungry :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1778 on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:33 am »
Looks awesome, glad you tried it out!  I can't stand the thought of plain "roast beef" anymore - it has to be either sauerbraten, a beer-based stew of some sort, or smoked!  Oh, and don't forget about making your own pastrami (we talked about it last year around this time).

I did some easy pulled pork for christmas eve dinner.  For the sauce, I combined:

1 bottle of Sweet Baby Rays
1 16oz bottle of homebrew Imperial Stout
1 dollop of minced smoked jalepenos
several glugs of apple cider vinegar
heaping spoonful of brown sugar
a few shakes of my house rub

Cooked it all down for about an hour to get it to the consistency I wanted.  
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:58:41 am by markaberrant »

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1779 on: December 28, 2011, 11:26:03 am »
Thanks guys! Guess what's for lunch today? ::)

Looks awesome, glad you tried it out!  I can't stand the thought of plain "roast beef" anymore - it has to be either sauerbraten, a beer-based stew of some sort, or smoked!  Oh, and don't forget about making your own pastrami (we talked about it last year around this time).

The flavor was so good that it didn't even need sauce. Don't think regular roast will feature on the menu in the future. Incredible. Thanks for the inspiration!

And I'm trying to figure out how to do a smoked sauerbraten. Thinking do the marinade, then smoke around 200 uncovered for a couple hours then into the oven and dish covered at 325 for another 2 hours or until tender.

I read all 83 comments on the FN recipe website. :-\ I checked the temp about an 1:50 into the braise. The internal temp was already at 193 so I turned the heat down to 225 for an hour then back up to 300 for the last. Then turned the oven off and removed the dish when the oven hit 150. To me it is possible to dry a braised meat out if you cook it at too high a temp for too long. It'll be tender but dry. When it is ready it's ready and the meat won't get any better at that point. I think the people with poor results actually don't know the correct approach for this technique.

Since the recipe had been up for six years and AB hasn't made an edit to the searing sequence I think it is meant to be done as indicated. Possibly a way of killing any bacteria on the meat surface before it sits in the fridge for 3 days? Maybe his lawyers in black suits made him do it this way... ;)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1780 on: December 28, 2011, 02:25:49 pm »
Thanks guys! Guess what's for lunch today? ::)

The flavor was so good that it didn't even need sauce. Don't think regular roast will feature on the menu in the future. Incredible. Thanks for the inspiration!

And I'm trying to figure out how to do a smoked sauerbraten. Thinking do the marinade, then smoke around 200 uncovered for a couple hours then into the oven and dish covered at 325 for another 2 hours or until tender.

I read all 83 comments on the FN recipe website. :-\ I checked the temp about an 1:50 into the braise. The internal temp was already at 193 so I turned the heat down to 225 for an hour then back up to 300 for the last. Then turned the oven off and removed the dish when the oven hit 150. To me it is possible to dry a braised meat out if you cook it at too high a temp for too long. It'll be tender but dry. When it is ready it's ready and the meat won't get any better at that point. I think the people with poor results actually don't know the correct approach for this technique.

Since the recipe had been up for six years and AB hasn't made an edit to the searing sequence I think it is meant to be done as indicated. Possibly a way of killing any bacteria on the meat surface before it sits in the fridge for 3 days? Maybe his lawyers in black suits made him do it this way... ;)

I think the searing before hand does some kind of "something happens and something else starts to break down" thing.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1781 on: December 30, 2011, 10:39:28 am »
My new rig,

I have done chicken breast with hickory, quail with bacon and maple syrup. Next "The Chicken" recipe from Nakedwhiz.com and some smoked turkey breast. Just have to find some fruit wood for the smoke or just use some birch. Not to mention some good lump hate all I can find is Cowboy. blah!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1782 on: December 30, 2011, 12:22:11 pm »
What do you think so far of the Egg?

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1783 on: December 30, 2011, 07:42:31 pm »
I have a new found love, along with making beer. First try with a place setter tonight with a reload of some new lump with the old. I now know what the flash back looks and smells like, eeewww burnt hair!

I have liked everything I have made so far, bacon wrapped quail with a maple syrup drizzle is nothing special. "The Chicken" is crazy hot and a different way to make Nashville chicken, used a Cooks recipe deep fried chicken and differenrt way to make the hot sauce, my grilled chicken had the same texture as deep fried, so that is cool.

I picked up some apple wood so I will smoke a 8# turkey breast on New Years, just thinking of getting it going around 200 and checking it after about 2 hours to get an idea when it will be done.

I can't figure out why there are no kamado grill clubs.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1784 on: December 30, 2011, 07:48:08 pm »
My new rig,

I have done chicken breast with hickory, quail with bacon and maple syrup. Next "The Chicken" recipe from Nakedwhiz.com and some smoked turkey breast. Just have to find some fruit wood for the smoke or just use some birch. Not to mention some good lump hate all I can find is Cowboy. blah!

Sweeeeeeeeettt!

Welcome to our obsession.  8)
Ron Price