Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476324 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1560 on: November 05, 2011, 03:15:30 pm »
it's a redfish actually.  i bought it from quality seafood.  the fishmonger said it was only the second he had ever seen without spots.

I thought it looked like a redfish but I couldn't find the spot so i figured it must e something at least closely related.  Redfish and flounder are 2 of the things I miss most about not living on the Alabama coast anymore.  My folks had a house on Mobile Bay and we spent a lot of time there floundering and fishing the bay.
I've got a picnic shoulder on the smoker, and I'm gonna put a salmon filet out there to smoke for tomorrow.  I'm thawing a bag of Gulf shrimp we brought back in July from Mobile-half will go on the grill, half will be boiled with a bag of Zatarains crab boil.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1561 on: November 05, 2011, 04:41:31 pm »
it's a redfish actually.  i bought it from quality seafood.  the fishmonger said it was only the second he had ever seen without spots.

I thought it looked like a redfish but I couldn't find the spot so i figured it must e something at least closely related. 

Yeah, that had me scratching my head too.  No spots and kinda greenish like a largemouth or something freshwater.  Shaped like a red drum though.

What I miss most, fish-wise, about living down there is there are no snook here.  Hard fighters and as tasty a fish as I've ever eaten.  Lots of great fishing here, but no snook...   :(

Good call on the Zatarain's crab boil!  I buy that online now.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1562 on: November 05, 2011, 05:17:53 pm »

I thought it looked like a redfish but I couldn't find the spot so i figured it must e something at least closely related.  Redfish and flounder are 2 of the things I miss most about not living on the Alabama coast anymore.  My folks had a house on Mobile Bay and we spent a lot of time there floundering and fishing the bay.
I've got a picnic shoulder on the smoker, and I'm gonna put a salmon filet out there to smoke for tomorrow.  I'm thawing a bag of Gulf shrimp we brought back in July from Mobile-half will go on the grill, half will be boiled with a bag of Zatarains crab boil.

mmmmmmm.....  we love salmon around here and can you beat gulf shrimp!?!  i almost bought some flounder as well, but ended up going with red snapper filets.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1563 on: November 06, 2011, 12:09:48 am »
Is redfish the same as a Red Drum?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #1564 on: November 06, 2011, 01:08:54 am »
it's a redfish actually.  i bought it from quality seafood.  the fishmonger said it was only the second he had ever seen without spots.
Is redfish the same as a Red Drum?

In the Gulf of Mexico, yes.

Think Chef Paul Prudhomme and blackened redfish...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:10:31 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1565 on: November 06, 2011, 01:27:02 am »
I've got a fish story about a red drum . . . ;D

New thread:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9819.msg120850#msg120850
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1566 on: November 06, 2011, 10:59:22 am »

Chef Paul P. has a Turducken recipe I'm wanting to try someday. I'd like to start it on the smoker and finish it in the oven.

http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=186
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1567 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:28 am »

Chef Paul P. has a Turducken recipe I'm wanting to try someday. I'd like to start it on the smoker and finish it in the oven.

in my local seafood shop they sell those frozen.....  $62.99......

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1568 on: November 06, 2011, 11:30:15 am »

in my local seafood shop they sell those frozen.....  $62.99......

Nice!

It would make a great Holiday treat.  :)
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1569 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:57 am »
the red snapper was seasoned with dizzy pig shakin the tree and tsunami spin.  it was good, but wasn't nearly as good as the redfish from friday night.

the crab cakes were the same as they were last time, save the mustard...  one pound lump crab meat, one beaten egg, eight saltine crackers, old bay seasoning.  fried in butter and olive oil.

the tuna was marinated in red boat fish sauce and soy and then rolled in regular and black sesame seeds.  cooked it to RARE and will be slicing it cold today to put on a salad for lunch!

the asparagus was just oil and cavanders greek seasoning.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1570 on: November 07, 2011, 10:14:45 am »
There is something to be said about BBQing a whole fish as opposed to just the fillets. Not only from an aesthetic standpoint but the flavor and texture can be very different.

Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1571 on: November 07, 2011, 10:16:32 am »
There is something to be said about BBQing a whole fish as opposed to just the fillets. Not only from an aesthetic standpoint but the flavor and texture can be very different.

blew me away.  can't wait to do another one.

AHA# 196703

Offline punatic

« Reply #1572 on: November 07, 2011, 10:31:06 am »

For the longest time people thought you couldn't eat snook.  They say it tastes soapy. 

But, if you fillet & skin it, snook is some of the best tasting fish I know of.

Unfortunately snook are illegal to buy or sell in the US, so you gotta catch'em yourself.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1573 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:52 am »

For the longest time people thought you couldn't eat snook.  They say it tastes soapy.  

But, if you fillet & skin it, snook is some of the best tasting fish I know of.

Unfortunately snook are illegal to buy or sell in the US, so you gotta catch'em yourself.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/mar/06/snook-rare-seasonal-treat-s-worth-effort/

No wonder I've never seen them in the market. I had to look it up.

I guess you can't get them in the Pacific?
Ron Price

Offline punatic

« Reply #1574 on: November 07, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/mar/06/snook-rare-seasonal-treat-s-worth-effort/

No wonder I've never seen them in the market. I had to look it up.

I guess you can't get them in the Pacific?

An excellent article you linked to above.

No, there is nothing like them here.  Snook are mangrove tigers.  There is very little shallow water like what they live in around these parts.  Catching snook is one of the things I really miss about living in Florida. 

However, you need an iPad to access the latest restrictions limiting catching them anymore.  I've had the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (Florida Marine Patrol when I was there) watching me fish with IR scopes trying to catch me with the wrong size, too many, out of season snook.  I can't count all of the snook I released just to make sure I didn't goof up and break the law. 

AHA Life Member #33907