Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476366 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1470 on: September 04, 2011, 06:28:03 pm »
. I used my own carefully crafted rub after massaging the meat liberally with nước mắm.

ROFL!  You're taunting me, aren't you!  :D

Seriously though, if you can't taste yellow mustard slathered on before a rub (I don't think I can) you can probably get away with fish sauce!   ;D

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1471 on: September 04, 2011, 07:06:25 pm »
Incidentally...I've wasted SO much time at this site.  Here's a topical one:

http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/homecuring/index.html

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1472 on: September 04, 2011, 08:56:37 pm »

That just sucked away a couple hours. Snarky,
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1473 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:52 am »
Looks delicious Euge.  :)

How was the texture and tenderness of the meat? I am back and forth with time and temp for briskets.  Fat content and distribution are an important factor in this cut. The leaner they are the harder they are to get the right tenderness. You should be able to slice (1/4" thick) against the grain and just be able to pull the meat apart with slight tension between your hands but it should not fall apart when you pick it up. 

I also want to pickup a packer to smoke in the coming weeks.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1474 on: September 05, 2011, 03:07:36 pm »
I had a bbq yesterday and served pulled pork Carolina style (vinegar sauce).  We also did atomic buffalo turds (jalapenos with a lil smokey and wrapped in bacon), and smoked a bunch of brats.  I did two different bacon explosions - one with jalapenos, a spicy rub, and coated in a habenero bbq sauce for the last 30 minutes or so.  The other used a sweet rub with KC bbq sauce, and the center was filled with caramelized walla walla onions (and bacon of course). 

The crowd was impressed with the UDS. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1475 on: September 05, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »
Looks delicious Euge.  :)

How was the texture and tenderness of the meat? I am back and forth with time and temp for briskets.  Fat content and distribution are an important factor in this cut. The leaner they are the harder they are to get the right tenderness. You should be able to slice (1/4" thick) against the grain and just be able to pull the meat apart with slight tension between your hands but it should not fall apart when you pick it up. 

I also want to pickup a packer to smoke in the coming weeks.

Thanks man. Probably my best so far. Smoky deliciousness.

The taste and texture are spot-on for what I expect/wanted. The meat is fork tender and unctuous. Not mushy or dry thank-god. It can be sliced and doesn't crumble or fall apart!

You picked up on my point then. (pun intended) Knew I couldn't cook this one like some of the others. Carefully picked and the process considered I had to change my game up. The gambit is the same the tactics are altered slightly. Primarily though it's about a temp vs tenderness. The waiting on the flat to relax is what took this brisket so long.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1476 on: September 05, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »
Sorry no pics, but indirectly smoked two racks of ribs on the grill with a chip box since we were threatening rain. Could have used a little lower and slower, but turned out darn nice. Interesting part...package of spare ribs was purchased in 2008 ;)

Made a sauce I really like out of Grilling with George Hirsch
2 strips bacon chopped
1/2 cup onion
1 cup ketcup
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup chili sauce
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Cook bacon till it gives off fat, add onion cook till translucent, then add ketchup, vinegar and sugars and simmer 5 min, add remaining ingredients and simmer 10 min.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #1477 on: September 05, 2011, 07:11:27 pm »
No pics here either, but I did just about the same thing.  Smoked the ribs low and slow (kept it about 220F) with the chip box on a Weber (blasphemy, I know) gas grill.  I don't know that I've ever had better ribs. 
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1478 on: September 05, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »
Sounds like it was a bbq weekend for a lot of us. :)

We've got bbq weather for the rest of the week too, it should be 80 clear and sunny every day.  I'm not sure if we'll do any more q though, we've got leftovers to last a while.  Although I do have a pork belly to smoke this week to make more bacon. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1479 on: September 06, 2011, 01:22:21 am »
Wait, Euge, do you use the plate setter for the BGE when you do low & slow? I've always done that for my cooks (up to 24 hours for one shoulder one time...) and obviously nothing gets on the coals. But am I doing it wrong? I had figured the plate setter was built for exactly this sort of thing...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #1480 on: September 06, 2011, 08:02:24 am »
I made more pulled pork this past weekend:

The rub:

The pork shoulder:

The shoulder w/ rub applied:

After 7 hours in the smoker:

Pulled:

The accompaniment (Four Roses Bourbon & a glass of my 'Summer Snob' Imperial IPA):
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1481 on: September 06, 2011, 08:21:50 am »
LOL, I was going to say, that there on the left is a heck of a whiskey snifter!!!   :o

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1482 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:47 am »
Wait, Euge, do you use the plate setter for the BGE when you do low & slow? I've always done that for my cooks (up to 24 hours for one shoulder one time...) and obviously nothing gets on the coals. But am I doing it wrong? I had figured the plate setter was built for exactly this sort of thing...

Yes. I've experimented with raising the grate instead and have done 4 hour ribs that turned out just as well. But, a brisket just puts out too much grease. So I used the plate setter for this cook to offset the heat and hold the water pan that catches the fat as it drips. The plate setter is pretty much required for the real long cooks because initially the charcoal is piled so much closer to the meat.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1483 on: September 06, 2011, 11:35:35 am »
Looks good Mr Monger. How in the world did you have it done in 7 hours? And I was thrown a bit by the snifter- which is actually a beer glass thankfully. :D

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1484 on: September 06, 2011, 01:34:32 pm »

That just sucked away a couple hours. Snarky,

Gleaned from the Home page:

...They're not really recipe books. They're ads for food companies, with every recipe using the company's products, often in unexpected ways. (Hot day? Kids love a frosty Bacon Milkshake!)...

Resistance Is Futile!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907