Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476403 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1395 on: July 03, 2011, 04:51:45 pm »
for all you expert smokers.  I'm going to smoke a brisket tonight, first time for slow smoke all the way through so I have couple of questions.
How much if any fat should I trim?  It's 13 pounds, probably at least 3 pounds is fat.
Is there any point in making a dry rub for this since the outside will be dried out completely?
How long at 180-200F?
Thanks guys.

Hers's a link to the best tutorial on the web IMO.

Enjoy!  8)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

I would definitely foil in a cooler for a few hours to help tenderize the brisket.
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1396 on: July 03, 2011, 05:01:53 pm »
Thanks Bluesman, that's exactly what I needed to know
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1397 on: July 03, 2011, 05:29:58 pm »
for all you expert smokers.  I'm going to smoke a brisket tonight, first time for slow smoke all the way through so I have couple of questions.
How much if any fat should I trim?  It's 13 pounds, probably at least 3 pounds is fat.
Is there any point in making a dry rub for this since the outside will be dried out completely?
How long at 180-200F?
Thanks guys.

I don't trim mine and they still get at least salt and pepper if not a proper rub. Fat-side up or down depends on the heat-source. Mine is down because the heat comes from that direction and acts as a shield. A great deal of the fat will render away. If I ever trim fat then it gets used as a fat-cap for the upside of the brisket. Keeps it moist. ;)

It will be done when the tip of a thermometer slips into the flat with little to no resistance. I do about 60 to 75 minutes per pound at 225F.

Good luck enjoy the Q.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1398 on: July 03, 2011, 05:48:29 pm »
There won't be any direct heat on it since it will be in the vertical part of my smoker and the fire will be in the grill section.  I'll probably score the fat, season it heavily and put it on the upside to baste the rest as it cooks.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1399 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:39 am »
While brewing yesterday I threw some wings in the egg at about 250-275 for 95 minutes. Sorry no pics...

What was different about these wings is how I prepared them. I had a jar of Marie's coleslaw dressing that had been in the fridge for a questionable amount of time. Several months at least. Smelled fine. No mold. Placed 3 pounds of unseasoned wings in freezer bag. Pour dressing over the chicken and seal bag. Roll up and place in fridge for 24 hours.

Straight out of the marinade and onto the grate. OMG. I was worried the celery seed would be too much but it came out extremely tasty.

Think I'll try ranch next time. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1400 on: July 04, 2011, 11:44:57 am »
Smoked some sockeye on the UDS last night, it was great.  Sprinkled a little cajun rub on top and threw it on at ~230F until it was done.  I remembered to take a before picture, but forgot to take one after.

<edit> Oops, the one on the left got the cajun rub, the one on the right got a commercial rub from Island Seasonings we brought back from Hawaii.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:47:09 am by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1401 on: July 04, 2011, 01:10:56 pm »
Smoked some sockeye on the UDS last night, it was great.  Sprinkled a little cajun rub on top and threw it on at ~230F until it was done.  I remembered to take a before picture, but forgot to take one after.

<edit> Oops, the one on the left got the cajun rub, the one on the right got a commercial rub from Island Seasonings we brought back from Hawaii.

Glad to see you're using the UDS. The fish looks tasty.  :)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1402 on: July 04, 2011, 01:12:25 pm »
While brewing yesterday I threw some wings in the egg at about 250-275 for 95 minutes. Sorry no pics...

Is that a typo or...?

95 min?
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1403 on: July 04, 2011, 01:38:59 pm »
I haven't used the grill since I built the UDS. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1404 on: July 04, 2011, 01:56:53 pm »
I haven't used the grill since I built the UDS. :)

You have to break that puppy in right.  8)

With beer in hand of course.  :)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1405 on: July 04, 2011, 02:04:44 pm »

Is that a typo or...?

95 min?

Nope. An hour and a half and they were ready. I took the plate setter out and prop the grate back up to the same level so the fat will drip on the coals.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1406 on: July 04, 2011, 03:33:06 pm »
How long at 180-200F?
Thanks guys.

i'd trim the fat down pretty close to the meat and pull it at 190-195 internal.  also, you will want to cook in the 225-275 range.  imagine how long it will take to get something to 195 if you are only cooking at 200, and at 180, you will never get there.

good luck.  let us know how it turns out.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1407 on: July 04, 2011, 03:33:33 pm »
venison etc....

also did a couple slabs of baby backs.

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1408 on: July 04, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »
venison etc....

also did a couple slabs of baby backs.

Yum! I'm gonna have to try some avocados like that.

Here's a fattie explosion I did with thrice-cooked turkey, crispy bacon and cheese wrapped with hot breakfast sausage and a bacon weave.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1409 on: July 04, 2011, 09:49:32 pm »
oh man that looks good.  send me some down for breakfast!

AHA# 196703