Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476429 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1380 on: June 20, 2011, 01:09:16 pm »
How did the Organization Committee conference go on Sat a.m.?
It was surprisingly (to me) well attended, more people are willing to get up early to discuss the subject than I would have thought.  Drew agreed to add a section to the forum to continue discussion, and there were calls for a half-day pre-conference meeting to continue discussion.  One hour was clearly too short considering the number of people who spoke to me after.  

We can talk more about it here or in the new section gets added.  Drew might be a little busy with other stuff for now, but I'm sure it will happen shortly :)
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=7984.msg99169#msg99169
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1381 on: June 20, 2011, 01:13:19 pm »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1382 on: June 22, 2011, 08:15:53 am »
They do in the Sledgehammer video.
And then there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcoqeNdMAfA

Ooh, a Herzog reference, bravo sir.

<still peeved about not being able to see the Cave of Forgotten Dreams...>
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1383 on: June 24, 2011, 07:03:07 am »
Here's a recipe I found for a Beer BBQ Sauce that I want to try. Sounds tasty.

Beer- BBQ Sauce
Adapted from a recipe by Brew City BBQ prep time : Less than 30 minutes
recipe type: BBQ, mops and marinades
ingredients: 2 green jalapenos, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons garlic, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, peeled and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup IPA or hoppy amber ale
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons unhopped barley malt extract
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saute jalapenos, garlic, onion and chipotle chiles in a nonstick skillet with the canola oil, until onions are soft. Season with salt, if desired. Scrape into blender, add, ale, tomatoes, oregano, malt extract and cayenne. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasonings and use as a BBQ sauce during the last 15 minutes of cooking, or serve at the table with grilled meats.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #1384 on: June 24, 2011, 10:19:14 am »
That recipe looks like it brings some heat. :o
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1385 on: June 24, 2011, 11:13:52 am »
Looks good. The oregano is an interesting addition. Didn't expect that.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1386 on: June 25, 2011, 02:45:01 pm »

Where did you find a dancing chicken?
Don't they all dance? :-\

;) ;D

They do in the Sledgehammer video.

Exactly! 
Thank you.

Twenty five years later and the videos from So are still amazing (as is the music)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1387 on: June 25, 2011, 06:08:01 pm »
Smoked 4 pork butts yesterday for a friend of mine. I kept one of the butts for my efforts. Since the weather was iffy I pushed them along. Started @ 250F for an hour of hickory & then ramped it up to 325-350F for the balance. Three butts came off @ 205F internal @ 7 hours & the last one @ 8 hours. All were ~ 9 lbs. I didn't notice any difference from past smokes @ 225-250F, other than it took a lot less time.  Since there was some room on the smoker I threw on a couple basic fatties that I sliced & will use with egg, sausage & cheese muffins for breakfast in the upcoming weeks.

Today I smoked some Mac & Cheese. Basic recipe & then added 2 chopped Johnsonville Spicy Hot Brats and 14 oz. of Green Chilies. I used about a handful of apple chips on low heat (225F) and when the smoke quit I covered the Mac & cheese and ramped it up to 350F. The neighbor stopped over to give it a try & the only way I could stop him from eating it all was by offering him a Jalapeno American Rye. I think he left a happy man.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1388 on: June 25, 2011, 08:10:09 pm »
Sounds like a busy day but worth it in the end. How did you finish the butts...foil and cooler or?

Smoked butts are simply fantastic...especially with a good sauce recipe.  8)
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1389 on: June 25, 2011, 08:39:50 pm »
Sounds like a busy day but worth it in the end. How did you finish the butts...foil and cooler or?

Smoked butts are simply fantastic...especially with a good sauce recipe.  8)

Foiled @ 160F internal then taken up to 205F. Then wrapped in a towel & coolered for 2 hours. I generally add some apple juice & a light dusting of rub after they're pulled. Oh so tasty!!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1390 on: June 25, 2011, 09:10:01 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmbutt.........
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1391 on: June 26, 2011, 06:51:37 am »
For all the Kingsford Blue fans out there. Walmart has it on sale until July 4th for $7.50 for a 16.6lb twin pack. Usually it's that price for one bag. Check around the store 'cause they don't usually put it in the garden center when they have sales like this. Last time I found it in the bulk food section in the grocery area??? Go figure. Cheers!!!

Update: I picked up 9 twin packs Sunday morning. That's all I dared to stuff into one cart..  Between the "Blue" & Lump I should be in good shape for the rest of the summer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:06:49 pm by hamiltont »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1392 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:43 am »
A search on the "blue" says it's better than my Royal Oak lump- which I find hard to believe. The testimonials point out that KB burns longer than lump and the briquettes are denser.

My experience with kingsford briquettes is that they are chock full of sand, hard to light and then burn inconsistently. Also there are concerns about any binders in the mix.

Just sayin for discussion's sake. I'm highly skeptical but always willing to try new things.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1393 on: June 26, 2011, 07:51:17 pm »
For all the Kingsford Blue fans out there. Walmart has it on sale until July 4th for $7.50 for a 16.6lb twin pack. Usually it's that price for one bag. Check around the store 'cause they don't usually put it in the garden center when they have sales like this. Last time I found it in the bulk food section in the grocery area??? Go figure. Cheers!!!

Just picked up a twin pack from Sam's...ready for the 4th now!!!

8)

Ribs are on the menu... ;)
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1394 on: July 03, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »
for all you expert smokers.  I'm going to smoke a brisket tonight, first time for slow smoke all the way through so I have couple of questions.
How much if any fat should I trim?  It's 13 pounds, probably at least 3 pounds is fat.
Is there any point in making a dry rub for this since the outside will be dried out completely?
How long at 180-200F?
Thanks guys.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico