Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476446 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1350 on: June 13, 2011, 11:20:52 am »
Just three cooks, and two of them were fairly short, less than 2 hour burns.  I might do a pork shoulder/butt before I go for a brisket, but I'll get to it by the end of the summer. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1351 on: June 13, 2011, 01:42:54 pm »
Finally got a chance to try this recipe out this weekend:

http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Smoked it out at my parents cabin on their electric Brinkmann with mesquite.  Also smoked all the veggies for an hour.  Used Sierra Nevada Golden Ticket Baltic Porter for the beer.  It turned out excellent, more darker than the pics in the above link, though I would remove the jalepeno seeds next time (it was pretty damn spicy, even by my standards).

I definitely plan on making this again, probably the best pulled beef I have ever made.  Most pulled beef recipes call for a tomato with sugar/ketchup based sauce, which can be fine for pork, but I find beef works much better with a spicier, more savoury sauce than sweet.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1352 on: June 13, 2011, 02:07:45 pm »
here is a pulled beef recipe i have tried.  it's more like a pulled pork deal, but with beef.  more smokey than spicy...

Description: Clay's Pulled beef BBQ
Ingredients: • 3 Choice chuck roasts
• 10 Strips of good bacon
• 1 Cup About a cup of tomato based BBQ sauce
• 1/3 Cup Real maple syrup
• 2/3 Cup Water
• 1 Tbs Dizzy Pig Cow Lick 
• 3 Tbs Peanut oil

Instructions: Set the beef out on the table and rub with peanut oil and then spice, (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick).
Fire up the egg and stabilize at 250 degrees dome. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook. Set up is indirect, platesetter feet up, grid on platesetter, drip pan and v rack on grid. At this time leave the grid off.

Stage one; Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan. Lay bacon on top of beef. Lift platesetter enough to throw a handful of hickory chips on burning lump. Place grid in egg and set in the pan with beef. Cook for about 5 hours and when beef is 160 internal remove from egg.

Stage two; In a No.12 Dutch oven, oil inside with peanut oil, remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef. Making sure the meat probe is inserted in the meat, put the lid on and return to the egg and set on top of platesetter after removing grid. Be careful not to have the dome temp over 250. Cook for about 2 hours, until beef is 215 internal and remove from egg.

Stage three; Set the beef out on a tray to rest while you drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later. Discard bacon. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork. Remove gristle and fat as you pull. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add your favorite sauce. Taste test. Now skim fat from juice and return juice to the beef. Taste test. Ok, let’s go back to the egg. Lift platesetter and throw hickory chips on burning lump and return Dutch oven to smoke with the cast iron lid off. Cook for about 1 and ½ hours. Maintain a dome temp no higher than 250.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1353 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:53 pm »

Man that looks awesome Ron!  I'm inspired.  Now ya gone an did it...

Plus you earned your basketweaving merit badge too!

How'd you make the stuffing?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:08:28 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1354 on: June 14, 2011, 04:18:13 am »
How'd you make the stuffing?

Thanks!

Sausage and Cornbread Stuffing

Cook 1lb of Sage Sausage (crumbled)
Make a loaf of cornbread and crumble
Saute:
onion
peppers
celery
rosemary
thyme
parsley
salt and pepper
combine sausage, cornbread and vegetables with 2 cups of chicken stock
Then cool and spread onto pork loin and roll the pounded thin pork loin and wrap with bacon weave.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1355 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:29 pm »
cooked some fresh salmon with olive oil and  dizzy pig raging river and shakin the tree and some tuna with soy and sesame seeds along with a couple avocados with olive oil and shakin the tree.  made some potatoes and onions with some olive oil, garlic and simply marvelous season all.   i'm stuffed.....

whoops.

AHA# 196703

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #1356 on: June 16, 2011, 03:13:58 am »
I used the UDS tonight to smoke roast a chicken.  Spatchcocked, rubbed with cajun spices, cooked for about an hour at 350F or so.  Smoked with madrona wood and leek scapes.

It came out perfectly cooked; tender, juicy, and delicious. :)

I've been wondering how madrone would work for smoking meat.  Would you consider the flavor to be mild?

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1357 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24:05 am »
Busy day today. I fired up the WSM and smoked a pork loin inspired by deepsouth.

The pork loin is stuffed with a sausage and cornbread stuffing then wrapped in bacon and smoked. It was farkin' delicious.  8)

How big was the loin?  About how much bacon is required for the weave, half or whole package?  Thinking of giving this a go this weekend.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1358 on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:09 am »
Busy day today. I fired up the WSM and smoked a pork loin inspired by deepsouth.

The pork loin is stuffed with a sausage and cornbread stuffing then wrapped in bacon and smoked. It was farkin' delicious.  8)

How big was the loin?  About how much bacon is required for the weave, half or whole package?  Thinking of giving this a go this weekend.

a bacon weave requires a full package of bacon.  here is a great tutorial i used.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99585&highlight=bacon+weave

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1359 on: June 16, 2011, 10:21:47 am »
I was going to take a stab at the stuffed loin yesterday but there was none (whole loin) to be had at the store. The weave is easier than it looks. I nailed it first attempt when doing fatties.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1360 on: June 16, 2011, 10:42:45 am »
a bacon weave requires a full package of bacon.  here is a great tutorial i used.....

Thanks, that saved me a google search I had planned for later.

Still curious about the approx size of loin to use, I can get big honkin ones at Costco, but also thought about maybe using a couple of small tenderloins pounded out with the stuffing in between like a sammich, then rolling it up.

And Bluesman mentioned cooking to 170F... I typically cook pork tenderloin to 140-145F on a hot grill.  I am assuming 170F works due to the bacon and stuffing providing some protection and moisture, but just wanted to see if there are any other thoughts?

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1361 on: June 16, 2011, 11:03:00 am »

Still curious about the approx size of loin to use, I can get big honkin ones at Costco, but also thought about maybe using a couple of small tenderloins pounded out with the stuffing in between like a sammich, then rolling it up.

And Bluesman mentioned cooking to 170F... I typically cook pork tenderloin to 140-145F on a hot grill.  I am assuming 170F works due to the bacon and stuffing providing some protection and moisture, but just wanted to see if there are any other thoughts?

i pull my pork at the same temp you do.  i pulled my roulade at 145-165, depending on where you stuck it with the thermapen.

AHA# 196703

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1362 on: June 16, 2011, 12:07:05 pm »
I was going to take a stab at the stuffed loin yesterday but there was none (whole loin) to be had at the store. The weave is easier than it looks. I nailed it first attempt when doing fatties.

I get my whole pork loin at Costco.  You can cut them to size if they're too big for your liking.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:08:40 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1363 on: June 16, 2011, 01:46:15 pm »

It was a 5lb loin and 1lb of bacon.

You won't be disappointed. Very tender anf full of flavor.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1364 on: June 16, 2011, 01:48:56 pm »
a bacon weave requires a full package of bacon.  here is a great tutorial i used.....

And Bluesman mentioned cooking to 170F... I typically cook pork tenderloin to 140-145F on a hot grill.  I am assuming 170F works due to the bacon and stuffing providing some protection and moisture, but just wanted to see if there are any other thoughts?

I get the 10lb loins from Sam's Club and cut them in half.

Cooking to an internal temp of 170F ensures the safety of the food. I don't want to take any chances if you know what I mean. Especially with a stuffing.

Pork Tenderloins are different. I'll pull them at 140-150F
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:50:58 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price