Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476627 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1305 on: June 05, 2011, 12:54:13 pm »
Matt,

This is a basic bbq sauce created by Steven Raichlen. I adapted my sauce from Steve's basic sauce.

I like a pretty good balance between acid/sugar/spice (40/40/20). I take Steve's recipe from the link provided and add 1/2 cup honey and 2 shots of bourbon (I like Jack Daniels). I also add an extra tbl of my favorite bbq rub (Dizzy Dust). You can adjust the heat with cayenne pepper to your taste. I like to boil the sauce for at least 15 min to develop melanoidins and maillard reactions  ;D.

It is a fabulous sauce that can be adapted to your liking. You could also try different pepper sauces to add more flavor and heat as desired. I like a smooth sauce so I don't add minced onion or peppers but adding them would only add more complexity to the sauce.

http://www.toptastes.com/features/grill/saucesteven.htm
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1306 on: June 05, 2011, 01:00:04 pm »
i rubbed the wings down last night.  i used simply marvelous spicy apple and sweet and spicy and dizzy pig red eye express along with salt and pepper.  we like our wings crispy, so about four hours before i cooked them at 325 (indirect), used some corn starch to help them crisp up.  these turned out great.  they were crispy as if we had fried them.   dipped a few in some burnt fingers bbq sauce.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1307 on: June 05, 2011, 02:14:49 pm »
Looks finger lickin' good today deepsouth.

I've been experimenting with wings on the Weber One Touch. I think I'll try indirect with a mild hot sauce and rub. The secret is time and temp. 325F is about right to get them crispy without burning them.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1308 on: June 05, 2011, 07:08:05 pm »
for dinner.....

cajun sausage, buffalo sliders, squash, s***ake mushrooms, avocado......

AHA# 196703

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #1309 on: June 05, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »
for dinner.....

s***ake mushrooms

This made me laugh.

Great looking food as always.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1310 on: June 05, 2011, 08:21:40 pm »
for dinner.....

s***ake mushrooms

This made me laugh.

thanks!  hahaha.  i totally missed that.

s***ake s***ake s***ake!

AHA# 196703

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1311 on: June 06, 2011, 12:13:41 am »
for dinner.....

s***ake mushrooms

This made me laugh.

s***ake s***ake s***ake!

Didn't we go over this?  It helps if you spell it right. :)

Shiitake. ;)

I did another chicken on the UDS yesterday.  Half was rubbed with a sweet and smokey rub based on something in one of Raichlen's books, the other was rubbed with a spicy pepper blend, I think it was Raichlen's lone star steak rub.  Either way the chicken was perfectly cooked, nicely smoky, completely fabulous!  I'm really loving the UDS.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1312 on: June 06, 2011, 02:51:22 am »
for dinner.....

s***ake mushrooms

This made me laugh.

s***ake s***ake s***ake!

Shiitake. ;)

So I'm guessing it's pronounced she-it-take mushrooms?  Well shee-it! 

Star that out,  auto-censor
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1313 on: June 06, 2011, 05:57:53 am »
for dinner.....

s***ake mushrooms

This made me laugh.

s***ake s***ake s***ake!

Shiitake. ;)

I did another chicken on the UDS yesterday.  Half was rubbed with a sweet and smokey rub based on something in one of Raichlen's books, the other was rubbed with a spicy pepper blend, I think it was Raichlen's lone star steak rub.  Either way the chicken was perfectly cooked, nicely smoky, completely fabulous!  I'm really loving the UDS.

yeah, that probably would have helped tons.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1314 on: June 06, 2011, 07:38:47 am »

Please post pics.  8)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1315 on: June 06, 2011, 10:09:34 am »

Please post pics.  8)
I'll try to remember to take some next time, which should be this Friday, my last chance before I head to San Diego. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1316 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:41 am »
before I head to San Diego. :)

Hey Tom....I'll have to catch up with you in SD.  :)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1317 on: June 06, 2011, 10:24:47 am »
before I head to San Diego. :)

Hey Tom....I'll have to catch up with you in SD.  :)
That's a given. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1318 on: June 10, 2011, 07:45:43 am »
i was asked to take part in a bbq comp. on a different beer site, but watned to share my entry with you guys...  here are the contest details....

here are the details on the contest....

Quick Synopsis:
Five grilling/bbq enthusiasts have been hand picked to compete in this competition and contacted independently. They have received a package of Coachella Valley California Dates in which they must pair with pork. You will judge them and determine who the winner is based on a Date & Pork themed photo stream they have prepared. Winner will be sent a box of beer and other items of interest from yours truly and be named the TBS BBQ King for 2011.

The Objective:
The participants will document the preparation and final presentation of the dates and pork utilizing any form of pork product they choose. They will create a photo stream of at least 15 pictures but no more than 35 showcasing the event on Google Picassa. The final picture in the stream will be a designed plate with the meat, two sides and one beverage. The sides and beverage are up to the participant and should be chosen in regards to winning over the judges. One side may be a dessert, but dates MUST be used in the dessert.

The Judging:
Anybody and everybody should judge and vote on this competition. YOU ARE A JUDGE! Judging is based on the aesthetic presentation of the photo stream. This is not a popularity contest so please vote on the photo streams only. Things to consider for the judges when voting are:
- Composition of photos including detail, sharpness, color balance, lighting, etc. Blurry pictures are not acceptable.
- How informative the photo stream was in terms of the process from start to finish.
- How attractive and desirable the final meal appears.
- Overall enjoyment of the photo stream.

Specific Rules for Participants:
Any pork product or cut may be used. This may include but not limited to bacon, sausage, shoulder, ribs, loin, ham, etc.
Dates and pork can be grilled, smoked, roasted, rotisseried, etc but must be cooked outdoors.
The dates must be identifiable in the meal. Meaning a jam that is visible is ok, but burying them in a bbq sauce where you can not see them is not.
All sauces used on the dates and pork must be hand made. No bottled sauces or marinades allowed.
BBQing mascots such as pets, children and woman wearing skimpy outfits are encouraged in the photos.
At least one "complete meal" photo must be used in the photostream and should be placed at the end of the stream.
For consistency and a "level playing field", all participants must use same photo sharing site for photostream. Google Picasso.
Photo stream must be completed by June 1st which is 3.5 weeks away.
Not adhering to the rules will result in an instant disqualification from the contest.

What is a Date?. From Wikipedia:

The date palm (Phoenix dactylifera) is a palm in the genus Phoenix, cultivated for its edible sweet fruit. Although its place of origin is unknown because of long cultivation, it probably originated from lands around the Persian Gulf.[1] It is a medium-sized plant, 15–25 m tall, growing singly or forming a clump with several stems from a single root system. The leaves are 3–5 m long, with spines on the petiole, and pinnate, with about 150 leaflets; the leaflets are 30 cm long and 2 cm wide. The full span of the crown ranges from 6 to 10 m.

and here is the my final entry photostream.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/107444540370252839641/TBSWestsideThreatThrowdown?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGtq6jWrZq3fg#

i'll let you guys know how i do.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:46:48 am by deepsouth »

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1319 on: June 10, 2011, 08:31:55 am »
I couldn't access your photostream.
Ron Price