Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476671 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1230 on: May 26, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »
That's an awesome thread. I've been trying to keep up with it.

Buying a drum ready to go is starting to sound like a better idea. What's the shipping?
It should cost me about $8 in gas to go pick it up. ;)

And I've found a local guy to weld me a fire basket, and he told me where to get the right paint for the drum.  Great forum over there, this guy is super helpful just from a pm I sent him.

No doubt...some great folks over there and a great forum with a wealth of knowledge/info. as well. The UDS thread has all the info you'll need to get the UDS built and smoking.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1231 on: May 26, 2011, 03:32:58 pm »
No doubt...some great folks over there and a great forum with a wealth of knowledge/info. as well. The UDS thread has all the info you'll need to get the UDS built and smoking.
Yup.  And then I got an email from a brewer I know asking about one of my beers, and I remembered he's into competitive bbq.  So I asked him about UDS, they use one to compete and he's got a fab shop and can make me stuff. :)  If everything aligns I'll do my first smoke before I leave for SD. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1232 on: May 26, 2011, 04:22:18 pm »
hey Ron, Fazzios had drums that were filled with straw berries. They were $15, Ill see if they still have them.

Another thing to consider is the lid. If you have a high lid you can fit two shelves in there witch I highly recommend cause you can double the capacity, I have been making the lids out of one third of another drum if you can imagine; I get two lids from one drum.

The other way is to use the lid from a large Weber kettle, though I bet they are expensive to buy.

Also, and Tom,  if you can get that welder to make you grates its worth it too. I weld in angle to hold the grates instead of using bolts. That combined with the beefed up grate makes it strong enough for me to stand on the grate. Using just the weber grate it is kinda light weight. But still effective.

I still haven't made one for my self.

Maybe we can build two when you come up Ron. They are really easy to build. Ill start setting aside some scrap.
We can fire up the double drum and smoke some beef ribs for lunch, you bring the beer..  ;)
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1233 on: May 26, 2011, 04:36:57 pm »
Also, and Tom,  if you can get that welder to make you grates its worth it too. I weld in angle to hold the grates instead of using bolts. That combined with the beefed up grate makes it strong enough for me to stand on the grate. Using just the weber grate it is kinda light weight. But still effective.
What do you think is the weight capacity of the weber grate?  I can always add more bolts to stabilize it, and as long as it will hold 40 lbs that should be enough, right?  Can you even fit more than 40 pounds of meat on one and still get good air flow?

I like the idea of two grates, but it would be pretty rare for me to need a second one.  I think I'll just do one.  I mean, if it was perfect and super flexible the first time, it would be hard to justify building another one. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1234 on: May 26, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »
Im not sure how strong the webber grate is. Walmart has grates that fit the drum nicely for $12, Im sure they are strong enough for home use at least. They also have pretty good thermometers for $16 at Wally world.  Good thing about those grates and other parts is they are replaceable. So as they wear you can just get new ones. Keep a UDS seasoned and it will last forever.

I just build them to withstand a massive explosion, that way it will last a lifetime.

Second shelf is necessary when you have a party. And once people taste the que that comes out of these things you WILL be begged for a party. In fact you will be the most popular guy on the block, though I imagine you already are.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1235 on: May 26, 2011, 05:30:28 pm »
Im not sure how strong the webber grate is. Walmart has grates that fit the drum nicely for $12, Im sure they are strong enough for home use at least. They also have pretty good thermometers for $16 at Wally world.  Good thing about those grates and other parts is they are replaceable. So as they wear you can just get new ones. Keep a UDS seasoned and it will last forever.
By seasoned, you mean using oil like you do with a pan?

Second shelf is necessary when you have a party. And once people taste the que that comes out of these things you WILL be begged for a party. In fact you will be the most popular guy on the block, though I imagine you already are.
Yeah, the beer helps with that. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1236 on: May 26, 2011, 06:24:29 pm »
Yep, I keep some veg oil in a spray bottle. Then I spray all of my outdoor cooking gear when Im finished. Do it while the metal is still hot and oil gets hard and builds up. I even spray down the painted surfaces. The inside will build up with fat and season as you cook with it. Never clean any of it with soap, not even a need for water, just burn off the grates and hit them with the brush.  I never get any rust on my gear.

When I do my drum smoker, Im not gonna paint it, Im just gonna heat it up and season it with oil. If you remember my double drum smoker from a few pages back; it is just seasoned with oil just like a fry pan. We have been keeping it out doors and rain just beads off. 

Fat drips down the side of the drum smoker when you cook anyways it gets hard so even if you paint it, just spray or wipe it down with veg oil, inside and out during and immediately after the cook. .

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1237 on: May 26, 2011, 07:06:55 pm »
hey Ron, Fazzios had drums that were filled with straw berries. They were $15, Ill see if they still have them.

Awesome Cap!

Another thing to consider is the lid. If you have a high lid you can fit two shelves in there witch I highly recommend cause you can double the capacity, I have been making the lids out of one third of another drum if you can imagine; I get two lids from one drum.

The other way is to use the lid from a large Weber kettle, though I bet they are expensive to buy.

Something to think about. I really like the weber lids but are they worth it ?  :-\

Maybe we can build two when you come up Ron. They are really easy to build. Ill start setting aside some scrap.
We can fire up the double drum and smoke some beef ribs for lunch, you bring the beer..  ;)

Sounds like a plan...I'll supply the beer.  8)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1238 on: May 26, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »
Yep, I keep some veg oil in a spray bottle. Then I spray all of my outdoor cooking gear when Im finished. Do it while the metal is still hot and oil gets hard and builds up. I even spray down the painted surfaces. The inside will build up with fat and season as you cook with it. Never clean any of it with soap, not even a need for water, just burn off the grates and hit them with the brush.  I never get any rust on my gear.

When I do my drum smoker, Im not gonna paint it, Im just gonna heat it up and season it with oil. If you remember my double drum smoker from a few pages back; it is just seasoned with oil just like a fry pan. We have been keeping it out doors and rain just beads off.  

Fat drips down the side of the drum smoker when you cook anyways it gets hard so even if you paint it, just spray or wipe it down with veg oil, inside and out during and immediately after the cook. .

I have cast iron grates in my Weber Gas Grill and I always wipe down with veg oil. They are well seasoned. The WSM has chrome plated grates so I usually just wipe them down with a steel brush and then a cloth wipe which works fine.
Ron Price

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1239 on: May 26, 2011, 09:34:49 pm »
Great info Capo, I won't beg but when are you coming to the midwest. I hope Jim Thorpe is doing you well, even though the internet sucks. You never ever post again, or we may never hear about it, well almost never.  I'm almost ready to drop big bucks on a egg, save me if I'm going the wrong way. I know Ron is near but please post a little bit more.

Marc,

PS you owe me some beer that you have made.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1240 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:35 pm »
No Jim Thorpe yet, still here in Bristol. I hate it here and looks like I will never be able to sell this house. We still visit Jim Thorpe for weekend getaways. I so love it there.

Well, regarding the UDS, I say for the money it is the only way to go. Its relatively cheap to build  and it is very fuel efficient. You only need a couple of pounds of charcoal and wood chunks for up to a twenty hour cook. Once you get the hang of using one it is basically set it and forget it. The fire box is contained in the drum while you cook so the fire risk is very very low, no big deal to load it up and then go to bed, in the morning it will be cookin away at the same temp, check it then go to work, when you get home that 20 pound packer brisket will be ready and cooked to perfection.

If Ron comes up and or when I build my own UDS I will post how too pics with a tutorial on how to do it.

It really is very easy to set one up and sooo worth it!

And yes, I do owe you some beer, just haven't brewed any in a while. Its my crazy time of year.  ;D

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1241 on: May 27, 2011, 02:19:57 am »
Took my very first youtube video of my butcher cutting up a couple whole pork shoulders I ordered for two parties, tonight and Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g4_SwWkL_4

Had to trim the skin myself, that was an experience. Thank God for Wusthof, ended up being way easier than I thought it would be. Here are a few pics of last night's rub and this morning's progress check.

I was worried they wouldn't both fit on there, but looks like I'll be OK. I dunno why I never get that super black crust like some people, maybe I just don't put enough rub? Used about 11 ounces of a combination of Apple, Hickory and Maple wood.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1242 on: May 27, 2011, 02:21:34 am »
Ah and with the leftover shanks I'm making Schweinshaxe Satudary :-) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/schweinshaxe/Detail.aspx
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1243 on: May 27, 2011, 04:45:16 am »
Phil...they look heavenly delicious. What kind of dry rub did you use? Time? Temp?

Thanks for posting!  8)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1244 on: May 27, 2011, 05:20:58 am »
Phil...they look heavenly delicious. What kind of dry rub did you use? Time? Temp?

Thanks for posting!  8)

It's my wife's blend. She took Meathead's Magic Dust (amazingribs.com) and added some extra stuff, dunno what. Presumably more smoked paprika and a little clove, I believe. Time/Temp = ?? not done yet, 225 deg F. I like to finish mine at 190. Unfortunately something happened with the BGE, the Pit Viper was telling my wife that the temp was low, like 160. This morning it kept dropping so she took it out and put it in the oven. It was in several hours of smoke, though, so I'm not feeling bad about finishing in the oven. Got a coffee mug full of water in there to keep things a bit humid. Will send pics of the finished product tonight.

Edit: It had been in the smoker since 10pm last night, so that was 13 hours total in the smoker. We'll see how much longer it takes. Last temp reading was 166 F at noon. Longest smoke I've ever done, I think. Anybody ever clocked more than 18 hours for a butt before?

Edit: All done. 17 1/2 hours total. Phew.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:33:18 am by phillamb168 »
----