Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476698 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1185 on: May 15, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »
I want to pick up some Poblanos and probably some corn.
[/quote

I just grabbed me a few pablanos today. Gonna roast them, and stuff the with chirizo and bacon.  8) (oh, and top them with cheese, of course)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1186 on: May 15, 2011, 07:51:19 pm »
I want to pick up some Poblanos and probably some corn.

I just grabbed me a few pablanos today. Gonna roast them, and stuff the with chirizo and bacon.  8) (oh, and top them with cheese, of course)

I know you've probably seen or tried pepper poppers. How about a Poblano pepper popper with sharp cheddar and bacon and then smoked over Hickory.

bbqlicious!  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1187 on: May 15, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »
Who sez I don't eat my vegetables? :D Mustard greens with smoked turkey, sausage and chile from the neighbor. Simmered until tender- 2 hours.

EUGE. you sure those ain't collards?

It's mustard greens alright. Water, chicken stock, sugar, vinegar and a chile. Smoked turkey and sausage. I could have went with collards but prefer mustard greens
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #1188 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12:41 pm »
[
I know you've probably seen or tried pepper poppers. How about a Poblano pepper popper with sharp cheddar and bacon and then smoked over Hickory.

bbqlicious!  8)

THat sounds really great! I make buffalo turds quite often. I think it was here I saw them. Jalapino halved, stuffed with cream cheese, a little smokie, then put back together, wrapped in bacon and grilled. They are a huge hit up in the mountains, camping.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1189 on: May 18, 2011, 12:25:51 pm »
I'm hoping to get some input on an idea I have.

I use my grill as a smoker, because that's what I have.  I also have a cold smoker I use to make cheese.  The smoke level on my hot smoked food is never as high as I want it to be, mostly because the grill just doesn't seal well.  I've tried using foil snakes to seal the edges and all that, but this time I'm thinking of trying something different.

Normally I'll let a pork roast stand at room temp for a while before putting it on, so what if instead of just leaving it covered on the counter I use the cold smoker to start giving it a nice smokiness?  Then after an hour or so, move it to the grill for the next 10 or 12 hours to finish.

Any concerns with this?  Any suggestions to give me a more intense smoke flavor with the equipment I have?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #1190 on: May 18, 2011, 12:40:18 pm »
Tom,
That works pretty well.  I've done it a few times now because my smoker doesn't seal to well either.  Hammer two birds with one stone... put the meat and cheese on there, then hot smoke the meat and presto, smoked meat and cheese.

I've been on a sassafrass kick lately, so that's been my wood of choice lately.  Very smooth, subtle spice smoke.  Quite good with brisket and havarti.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1191 on: May 18, 2011, 12:52:59 pm »
I'm hoping to get some input on an idea I have.

I use my grill as a smoker, because that's what I have.  I also have a cold smoker I use to make cheese.  The smoke level on my hot smoked food is never as high as I want it to be, mostly because the grill just doesn't seal well.  I've tried using foil snakes to seal the edges and all that, but this time I'm thinking of trying something different.

Normally I'll let a pork roast stand at room temp for a while before putting it on, so what if instead of just leaving it covered on the counter I use the cold smoker to start giving it a nice smokiness?  Then after an hour or so, move it to the grill for the next 10 or 12 hours to finish.

Any concerns with this?  Any suggestions to give me a more intense smoke flavor with the equipment I have?

This may sound like the obvious but it's the key to smoke flavor intensity...time and temperature.

The key to smoke flavor intensity is low heat and longer smoking time. Knowing your equipment is half the battle just like brewing. Adjusting the grill/smoker temp can be a daunting task but is imperative to producing a desired result. I recommend getting a remote temp sensor if you don't already have one, try to get a handle on your grill temps, specifically understanding how to adjust them by tweaking the vents and heat intensity to achieve the desired result.

I've never tried cold and hot smoking in conjunction but I think if one can harness the temp control of their smoker/grill they will ultimately win the battle of smoke flavor intensity.

One of the biggest challenges for me has been temp control and once I was able to harness the temp control on my smoker I was able to produce much better BBQ.  :)
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #1192 on: May 18, 2011, 01:08:04 pm »
I did some ribs last weekend. They were the best I've done to date. Tried my rub a little different, and it was great. I went about 50/50 brown sugar to paprika. Tossed in some kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili poweder, cumin, and oregano (just a bit) it was great!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1193 on: May 18, 2011, 01:34:41 pm »
Tom, often to get an increased "smoke flavor" I'll put the meat in before it comes to temp in the smoker. I've found that below 200 the flavor is smokier- especially when I put wood chunks in there. However, one runs the risk of creosote which to me is similar to fusels in that I can taste it. It actually burns in the tissues of the mouth and I'm none too fond of what it imparts. I think this is what professionals refer to as "backyard smoke". Having done it a bunch of times both ways my Q is better without backyard smoke.

I'd just try to lower your temps to 200-225 and keep it there. Don't think smoke escaping is your culprit. Though that would lead to a draughty smoker which would cause temp fluctuations.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #1194 on: May 18, 2011, 02:18:20 pm »
Just bought my first Weber one-touch gold this last weekend. I did some brats, fish, and green beans in tin-foil the first day. What should be my first smoking project? I was thinking some ribs. Here's to many great years of grilling and smoking on my new weber.

Also, any good tips for smoking on the weber grills. I bought the 22.5 grate version.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #1195 on: May 18, 2011, 02:41:36 pm »
That is what I use also. I have a water smoker, but tend to use my Webber more often. If you are doing ribs, heat them indirect. Keep your heat on one side, and ribs on the other. I did two racks, so one had to be right over the heat. It was crispy fried on the bottom, but the rack set off to the side was perfect. I also cut the top off a pop can and put water in it, and set it on the grate. That help keeps the smoke from drying your meat out.
  A pork roast is always a cool thing to smoke. Nothing better than pulled pork!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1196 on: May 18, 2011, 02:51:25 pm »
I did some ribs last weekend. They were the best I've done to date. Tried my rub a little different, and it was great. I went about 50/50 brown sugar to paprika. Tossed in some kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili poweder, cumin, and oregano (just a bit) it was great!
I keep a bunch of dry rub handy-it's got pretty much the same stuff as yours, but no sugar.  The night before I cook my ribs I dissolve some dark brown sugar in water to make a fairly heavy syrup and baste that onto the ribs.  Then I coat the ribs with my dry rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #1197 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:28 pm »
Has anyone ever used any of those weber rib racks or indirect charcoal holders? Just wondering if their worth the money.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1198 on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:21 pm »
Has anyone ever used any of those weber rib racks or indirect charcoal holders? Just wondering if their worth the money.

Haven't tried them but I understand they work well. They allow for the smoke to come across both sides of the meat as it circulates in the smoker/grill and more importantly allow you to load more racks on the grill. 
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1199 on: May 18, 2011, 08:49:55 pm »
In the Weber 22.5 I'd recommend just sticking to the stock stuff, except for the Smokenator which is a nifty accessory:
http://www.smokenator.com/

For your first project though, just do indirect grilled/smoked ribs and you don't have to worry about hyper low and slow.  Personally I think low and slow is often overrated.

Most Steve Raichlen recipes can be done on a Weber kettle.  Congratulations on snagging a VERY versatile cooking device.  I have the more expensive Weber Smokey Mountain but the vast majority of my outdoor cooking happens on my One-Touch Gold kettle grill, they are fantastically versatile.