Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476716 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1170 on: April 25, 2011, 01:12:29 pm »
Some smokin Q from Friday. Spatchcocked Cornish game hens dressed with bacon and turkey thighs. Beef sausage and creole boudin. The turkey thighs stole the show.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1171 on: April 25, 2011, 01:20:13 pm »
Nice euge.  I did two spatchcocked chickens this weekend, no pics.  One rubbed with a sweet bbq rub, the ther with just salt and pepper.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1172 on: April 25, 2011, 01:28:39 pm »
Ham & a Butt last weekend. Everyone said BBQ for Easter. Who am I to disagree.  ;D  Also a DIY Chimney Starter, A.K.A. Gasser Side Burner that's now portable.  Cheers!!!

The Ham (top) & Butt (bottom)

The Ham when it was pulled:

The Butt when it was pulled:

Pulled Pork:

Chimney Starter DIY Project:
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1173 on: April 25, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »
Nice Q gentlemen!

I had the typical American BBQ weekend. Hot Dogs and Hamburgers last night and Marinated Bonless Chicken Breasts tonight. I was planning to smoke some ribs but the weather wasn't cooperating. Lots of rain this past weekend.

Next weekend I'll fire up the smoker...weather permitting.  8)
Ron Price

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #1174 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:03 pm »
Ham & a Butt last weekend. Everyone said BBQ for Easter. Who am I to disagree.  ;D  Also a DIY Chimney Starter, A.K.A. Gasser Side Burner that's now portable.  Cheers!!!

Pulled Pork:

The brown handle things - pork pullers? 
That is some tasty lookin' food.
John Childs

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1175 on: April 25, 2011, 08:49:42 pm »
Courious on why you did bacon with the cornish hens. Did it add to the flavor of them?

Just for the record I would have been all over that grill like a rabid dog!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1176 on: April 25, 2011, 10:44:57 pm »
Courious on why you did bacon with the cornish hens. Did it add to the flavor of them?

Ah good to see ya posting brother... :)

Used the bacon to keep them moist since they get smoked for 2-3 hours. Adds a bit of flavor too. Works even better with a regular sized chicken. With those I rub butter (can be compound) under the skin and then bacon on top. Phenomenal.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1177 on: April 26, 2011, 07:42:41 am »

Pulled Pork:

They're called Bear Paws, and they're amazing!  I bought them on ebay for ~$10.  Here's a link to an active listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAR-PAWS-MEAT-HANDLERS-KITCHEN-BBQ-SMOKER-GRILL-FORKS-/160569929325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2562b6ae6d
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1178 on: April 26, 2011, 07:49:25 am »

Ah good to see ya posting brother... 8)

Used the bacon to keep them moist since they get smoked for 2-3 hours. Adds a bit of flavor too. Works even better with a regular sized chicken. With those I rub butter (can be compound) under the skin and then bacon on top. Phenomenal.

+1

Ron Price

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #1179 on: April 27, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »

Pulled Pork:

They're called Bear Paws, and they're amazing!  I bought them on ebay for ~$10.  Here's a link to an active listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAR-PAWS-MEAT-HANDLERS-KITCHEN-BBQ-SMOKER-GRILL-FORKS-/160569929325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2562b6ae6d

Cool...thanks for the link!
John Childs

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1180 on: May 14, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »
Who sez I don't eat my vegetables? :D Mustard greens with smoked turkey, sausage and chile from the neighbor. Simmered until tender- 2 hours.

I've been on a BBQ kick and  getting back to the roots: Grill chicken in the 300-325F range for about 90 minutes. Mop with sauce while turning every 10 minutes, last 40 minutes or so.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #1181 on: May 14, 2011, 09:45:32 pm »
Should have taken pic, but I NAILED the ribs tonight! Rubbed them in equal parts brown sugar and paprika. Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chilli powder, bit of cumin, and just a pinch of oregano. Smoked them at 225* for about 3 1/2 hours, over charcoal, with mesquite, and finished with some oak. They were so good, they didn't even need sauce, but I still could not resist carmelizing a little Baby Rays on them. The bottoms did get a bit blackened. Next time, I am going to use my bullet water smoker, to prevent that. Today, I just used the Weber charcoal grill. Thanks to you all on here who have spent the last year helping me this down. I finally can bbq a rib worthy of my homebrew.  8)
  (and bonus...the dude that blackened the pig last weekend now knows what a real rib should taste like)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1182 on: May 15, 2011, 07:57:04 am »

Ah good to see ya posting brother... :)

When I was in college back in the 70's I had a little side business smoking turkeys for professors' parties.  There was a little butcher shop that sold whole slab bacon for almost nothing.  My trick was to balance the slab of bacon on top of the turkey so that it would baste for the 16-20 hours the turkey smoked.  I made a little money and got invited to lots of good parties.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1183 on: May 15, 2011, 12:11:28 pm »
One of the biggest weekends for BBQ is rapidly approaching. I'm planning to fire up the smoker on Memorial Day. I'm thinking a Turkey and some ribs are in order. I'll probably smoke the Turkey first with high heat and then throw the ribs on as the temp drops. I want to pick up some Poblanos and probably some corn.

Nice pics Euge!  8)
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1184 on: May 15, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »
Who sez I don't eat my vegetables? :D Mustard greens with smoked turkey, sausage and chile from the neighbor. Simmered until tender- 2 hours.

EUGE. you sure those ain't collards?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee