Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476728 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1140 on: April 14, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »
Thanks Tom, and a belated congratulations on your victory. You gonna turn this organization upside down and shake it to its core or what? Shake things up and get rid of the dead wood and all of that?   ;D
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1141 on: April 14, 2011, 08:25:39 pm »
Broke it's cherry with some meat... ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1142 on: April 14, 2011, 08:43:07 pm »
Thanks Tom, and a belated congratulations on your victory. You gonna turn this organization upside down and shake it to its core or what? Shake things up and get rid of the dead wood and all of that?   ;D
If it ain't broke . . . ;)

If I find any dead wood I'll be sure to get rid of it though. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1143 on: April 15, 2011, 08:22:08 am »
Sea salt is the only way to go. In fact its all you really need.  Find a Korean Grocery store. They have the good stuff for cheap.

Got the new shop BBQ goin. Today we broke its cherry with some meat.

It used to be our wood burning stove used for heat. Just rigged it up into a double drum smoker. Works great!!!!

Work lunches just got a whole lot better!  ;D

Shazaaam!

I thought it looked familiar. I remember it was used as a wood stove when I was there a few months ago. That's a creative design.

Nice work Cap!  I'll have to stop in for lunch someday.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:23:54 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1144 on: April 15, 2011, 08:36:45 am »
Cap, I can't tell from the pictures but what connects the 2 drums?  How do you control the heat and smoke?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

ccarlson

« Reply #1145 on: April 15, 2011, 09:42:42 am »
Cap, I can't tell from the pictures but what connects the 2 drums?  How do you control the heat and smoke?

If you look very closely at the far end, between the 2 barrels, there's a flue pipe that connects the 2. They sell kits to to make barrel heaters like this. I have one in my shop and it can be zero degrees outside and my poorly insulated shop will stay comfortable to work in with only a sweatshirt on. 

Never heard of one used for barbecue, but why not?   If you control the intake air, which I can with my system, you can control the heat, somewhat. Great idea!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1146 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:59 am »

If you look very closely at the far end, between the 2 barrels, there's a flue pipe that connects the 2. They sell kits to to make barrel heaters like this. I have one in my shop and it can be zero degrees outside and my poorly insulated shop will stay comfortable to work in with only a sweatshirt on. 

Never heard of one used for barbecue, but why not?   If you control the intake air, which I can with my system, you can control the heat, somewhat. Great idea!

This ^^^^ is what I'm thinking as well.

Hey Cap...how do you regulate the temp?
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1147 on: April 15, 2011, 12:19:11 pm »
At one of the drilling rigs I used to work one the drilling engineer had one similar, but it was made of steel casing and weighed about 600 pounds.  He had 3 4" pipes connecting the top smoker and the bottom firebox.  It used steel discs like a regular chimney flue to open or shut the 3 connectors to regulate heat and smoke.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1148 on: April 15, 2011, 04:39:06 pm »
There is the single pipe that is about six inches in dia. It has a dampener in it. This wa the first trial run and it works fantastic for ribs and chicken. I was hitting like 225-250 with a dense hot coal bed and a good campfire size fire. I thought it would be way hot but no.

I was able to control the heat by either removing some hot coals and logs or adding some. I always build a fire by the BBQ foir this purpose.

I only was able to check the surface temp of the metal. Not sure how accurate of an indication of the internal temp this would be. It was 225 on top of the top drum, and 250 on the bottom of the top drum.

I actually want to be able to get it around three hundred for beef ribs and brisket. Im hoping that if I lay in some fire brick into the fire box portion hoping that this will hold and radiate more heat.

I If that doesn't get me hotter Im gonna weld some plates between and from drum to drum conduct more heat from the fire.

Or maybe make some sort of conductors that are removable when I want lower temps.

This is an awesome smoker and Im pretty sure the entire conversion can be done using the kit and mechanical fasteners as opposed to welding.

We just built a fire about 7AM threw on a bunch of ribs and chicken using only salt and pepper then fed it a log or two ever half hour or hour and by 11 AM the chicken was done. At about 1 the pork ribs were done. No wrap, no real attention and the ribs came out friken perfect. Juice, tender with a still a bit of pull and tooth feel.

Im not sure how much the kit is for these stoves but I highly recommend considering this route for a BBQ. Its cheap, and works great.

Beef ribs are next. Gonna do some temp tests first though. Ill report back on my findings.

YEah Ron, you gotta come up and check it out, you WILL want one!

There is gotta be something left on the brewstand. Is it all hooked up yet?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:44:42 pm by capozzoli »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1149 on: April 15, 2011, 07:07:43 pm »
Well thought out. You could even vent it with some forced air to ramp up the heat if you wanted. Fabulous work Cap.

Salt and fire.  8)

I will have the brewstand complete in the next few weeks with pics posted.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1150 on: April 15, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »
doesn't seem it at first thought but real easy to hit low temps in this thing. In the winter im gonna get some cold smoking goin. gonna make some lox for sure.

Instead of a fire in the bottom drum, ill put an electric hot plate and a pie pan of saw dust and chips.

WTF happened to the Ethnic cooking thread? Guess the BBQ thread is taking the lead.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:38:08 pm by capozzoli »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1151 on: April 15, 2011, 07:40:06 pm »
You got to keep feedin it cap. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1152 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »
WTF happened to the Ethnic cooking thread? Guess the BBQ thread is taking the lead.  ;)

When there's BBQ talk...people are listening. I know I am.  :)
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1153 on: April 15, 2011, 08:45:44 pm »
I actually want to be able to get it around three hundred for beef ribs and brisket. Im hoping that if I lay in some fire brick into the fire box portion hoping that this will hold and radiate more heat.

I If that doesn't get me hotter Im gonna weld some plates between and from drum to drum conduct more heat from the fire.

Or maybe make some sort of conductors that are removable when I want lower temps.

If you can put another of the 6" pipes at the other end you should be able to up the temps.  With a good damper in there you can still go low by putting the meat at one end and opening the damper at the other. 

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1154 on: April 15, 2011, 09:06:05 pm »
I was thinking that, but with the single pipe and damper, even witht the damper closed it is very hot at that area and will expose the food to direct heat. If you look on the pics of the inside of my set up the food and even racks are moved away from this area. . Its so hot there that anything you put above it will burn. My worry with that is that it will remove much of the usable cooking area.

This just may mean that it needs better dampers. However, if the damper is open, you cant put any food above it.

Though this is how they are typically done.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:11:13 pm by capozzoli »