Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476773 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1065 on: March 29, 2011, 11:42:56 am »
I think the no-cheese-with-fish "rule" may also have to do with how that combination affects the palate. Fish can be pretty oily (it's full of healthy fatty acids) and it can leave your palate with a certain slickness. Adding cheese, which has a high fat content may lead to palate oversaturation as far as a rich mouthfeel. This is why fish is often accompanied by citrus, which cuts the oiliness. The palate thing may be more of an issue for European diners who seem to be more sensitive to pairings that affect mouthfeel. Over here in the good u s of a, we tend to take more of an if-it-tastes-good-together-do-it! approach.  :P
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #1066 on: March 29, 2011, 12:34:53 pm »
I have a grinder (hand-crank) & this sounds awesome.  I may have to pick up some tri-tip & smoke it for some chili once the weather gets a bit better around here (Seattle - rainy all week... month...). 

I'm in the 'burbs north of Seattle - gotta grill in the rain, or you cain't hardly ever grill!
John Childs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1067 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:27 pm »
OK, so I don't have a need to grate Parmesan on my halibut

I've got a recipe for cashew crusted halibut that has Parmesan in it.  Just a bit, but it really ups the flavor.  OTOH, I'd never just put Parm directly onto the fish.

OK, that does sound good.

I'll post it when I get home today.

Recipe is here...

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6697.msg80550#msg80550
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1068 on: March 31, 2011, 02:11:09 am »
Chicken and beer bratwurst. St Louis spare-ribs done with home-made mustard. I bought a new spice grinder and reduced the rub to a fine powder. Light application coupled with the mustard is wonderful. The spices just soak in. Thank-you gentlemen for the mustard tip.

The ribs went for 5 hours at 225. Each time I think I've surpassed myself. Where next? :)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1069 on: March 31, 2011, 02:13:08 am »
Chicken and beer bratwurst. St Louis spare-ribs done with home-made mustard. I bought a new spice grinder and reduced the rub to a fine powder. Light application coupled with the mustard is wonderful. The spices just soak in. Thank-you gentlemen for the mustard tip.

The ribs went for 5 hours at 225. Each time I think I've surpassed myself. Where next? :)

*Droooooooooooool*

You already have my shipping address Euge, just send 'em over when you can. Dry ice should keep everything fresh. Thanks!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1070 on: March 31, 2011, 05:36:38 am »

Very nice work Euge. The Q looks fabulous.  8)

Now it's time to experiment with diffent temps, times, rubs and sauces.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1071 on: March 31, 2011, 06:09:10 am »
banGin euge!!!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #1072 on: March 31, 2011, 07:04:05 am »
I have a grinder (hand-crank) & this sounds awesome.  I may have to pick up some tri-tip & smoke it for some chili once the weather gets a bit better around here (Seattle - rainy all week... month...). 

I'm in the 'burbs north of Seattle - gotta grill in the rain, or you cain't hardly ever grill!
True, and I do often, but when Summer is on the way I long for those loooong sunlight days where I smoke all day.  :)
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #1073 on: March 31, 2011, 07:05:31 am »

Yum yum! My first smoking of the year will be pretty soon (a few weeks or so).  I'm gonna probably over-do it.  Ribs, chicken, a pork roast to smoke & slice for lunch meat, etc.  Can't wait!  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #1074 on: March 31, 2011, 11:08:44 am »
I have a 9 pound brisket that I'm going to split in half.  My daughter and I are going to have a marinade, rub/mop throw down when the weather gets a little nicer.  She's a major foodie and a pretty darn good cook for a young'un!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1075 on: March 31, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »
I have a 9 pound brisket that I'm going to split in half.  My daughter and I are going to have a marinade, rub/mop throw down when the weather gets a little nicer.  She's a major foodie and a pretty darn good cook for a young'un!

Really nice Jim...post some pics for our viewing pleasure.  8)
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #1076 on: March 31, 2011, 03:16:56 pm »
Speaking of brisket, has anyone ever made Kansas City "burnt ends"?  I saw an episode of Man vs. Food the other day where he was at Oklahoma Joe's.  It featured burnt ends, which are apparently a specialty in KC (maybe nicneufeld can confirm this?).  They basically start by smoking a whole brisket for about 12-15 hours.  Then they separate the point and the flat and one of them (I can't remember which) gets re-rubbed and put back in the smoker for about another 8 hours.  The finished product gets chopped into 1.5" cubes known as burnt ends.  They looked amazing!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1077 on: March 31, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »
The burnt ends I've seen (never done) are cut off the thin edge of the point after the brisket is done. Then chopped up, sauced in a pan & back on the smoker. I've eaten burnt end sammies and they are great!! Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #1078 on: March 31, 2011, 05:34:55 pm »
I don't think you start out making burnt ends.  They are a by-product.  And delicious.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1079 on: March 31, 2011, 05:52:43 pm »
I don't think you start out making burnt ends.  They are a by-product.  And delicious.

I've seen the aforementioned on TV, but down here it's the inedible dried, charred bits that you wouldn't serve. Instead it gets magically turned into delicious chopped beef.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis