Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476783 times)

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1050 on: March 28, 2011, 08:56:34 am »
Cheese makes just about anything better - including fish.  Of course the right cheese w/ the right fish is important. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #1051 on: March 28, 2011, 09:12:46 am »
On Chopped, it was probably Scott Conant.  He owns Scarpetta, a high end Italian place in NYC and franchised a bit, I think.  IIRC, he criticized it without even tasting it.  I hate snobby rules.  People would never have paired pinot noir with salmon if the "white wine with fish" people were treated as gospel.

I think the reasoning is that the cheese is usually Parmigiano Reggiano, which is quite strong, and that it overpowers the delicate nature of fish.

OK, so I don't have a need to grate Parmesan on my halibut, but I'm going to put it on linguine with white clam sauce, or other things with shrimp or crab.  Mornay sauce is meant for seafood.  And if the food has a lot of garlic in it, the "delicate nature of the fish" argument goes out the door.  Balance is everything, and you do need to taste what's in it.  But if you like it, ignore what the snobs tell you.  Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to experiment.

This is a bit OT for BBQ, but it's one of those foodie things that comes up.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1052 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:03 am »
it was scott conant, iirc.   i like the guy, but i hate hard and fast rules.   
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1053 on: March 28, 2011, 10:26:03 am »
Balance is everything, and you do need to taste what's in it.  But if you like it, ignore what the snobs tell you.  Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to experiment.

+1

Balance is very important when it comes to food in general. Too much salt, sugar or any spice will kill a great recipe. Typically speaking, this rule applies to bbq and beer as well...and there are some exceptions but again it's a general rule of thumb to keep in mind when cooking and/or grilling.
Ron Price

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #1054 on: March 28, 2011, 07:30:57 pm »
OK, so I don't have a need to grate Parmesan on my halibut, but I'm going to put it on linguine with white clam sauce, or other things with shrimp or crab. 

Mmmmmmm, linguine with white clam sauce.  That's good eatin, right there.
John Childs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1055 on: March 28, 2011, 08:22:46 pm »
OK, so I don't have a need to grate Parmesan on my halibut, but I'm going to put it on linguine with white clam sauce, or other things with shrimp or crab. 

Mmmmmmm, linguine with white clam sauce.  That's good eatin, right there.

Exactly what I made today for lunch. Except the clam-sauce was canned (Cento brand) from Italy. Regardless of being canned it was very tasty. And I only used the slightest bit of freshly micro-planed parmsean since the flavor was indeed delicate.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #1056 on: March 28, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »
I like using tri-tip for making chili. The meat texture really lends itself well for that but I haven't tried Q'ing one yet. That sounds great and looks even better deepsouth.
Do you cube the tri-tip for chili, or have it ground?  I've been trying various chili recipes looking for "the one", and read somewhere that coarse-ground (chili grind) tri-tips are excellent in chili.  I don't have a meat grinder, so the butcher would have to do it for me, but it sounds delicious!
I recommend grinding but that's just my preference. I prefer a more consistent texture for my chili and a "chili grind" allows for that. Just ask the butcher to give you a "chili grind".

I also like Euge's recommendation of grilling then grinding if you have the ability that sounds like a great idea.

Thanks...I prefer ground beef, too.  Grilling and then grinding it would add a nice smoky note to the chili - I'd like to give that a try, but it'll have to wait until my kitchen becomes better equipped...
John Childs

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #1057 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:19 am »
I have a grinder (hand-crank) & this sounds awesome.  I may have to pick up some tri-tip & smoke it for some chili once the weather gets a bit better around here (Seattle - rainy all week... month...). 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #1058 on: March 29, 2011, 08:34:13 am »
On Chopped, it was probably Scott Conant.  He owns Scarpetta, a high end Italian place in NYC and franchised a bit, I think.  IIRC, he criticized it without even tasting it.  I hate snobby rules.  People would never have paired pinot noir with salmon if the "white wine with fish" people were treated as gospel.

I think the reasoning is that the cheese is usually Parmigiano Reggiano, which is quite strong, and that it overpowers the delicate nature of fish.

OK, so I don't have a need to grate Parmesan on my halibut, but I'm going to put it on linguine with white clam sauce, or other things with shrimp or crab.  Mornay sauce is meant for seafood.  And if the food has a lot of garlic in it, the "delicate nature of the fish" argument goes out the door.  Balance is everything, and you do need to taste what's in it.  But if you like it, ignore what the snobs tell you.  Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to experiment.

This is a bit OT for BBQ, but it's one of those foodie things that comes up.

Parmesan will go well if grated on a fish with stronger flavor such as salmon.  We grill salmon with salt, black pepper and some  cheese grated on it.  Try it, you'll like it! ;D
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #1059 on: March 29, 2011, 08:41:37 am »
Parmesan will go well if grated on a fish with stronger flavor such as salmon.  We grill salmon with salt, black pepper and some  cheese grated on it.  Try it, you'll like it! ;D
I Love red thai curry on salmon.  They have a dish at The Pike in seattle that's salmon, stuffed w/ crab, on a bed of baby spinach and topped with a spicy red thai curry sauce.  It's awesome & I've done similar at home. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1060 on: March 29, 2011, 09:21:51 am »
OK, so I don't have a need to grate Parmesan on my halibut

I've got a recipe for cashew crusted halibut that has Parmesan in it.  Just a bit, but it really ups the flavor.  OTOH, I'd never just put Parm directly onto the fish.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1061 on: March 29, 2011, 10:43:05 am »

I've got a recipe for cashew crusted halibut that has Parmesan in it.  Just a bit, but it really ups the flavor.  OTOH, I'd never just put Parm directly onto the fish.

Just the word "crusted" in combination with fish sounds great to me Denny.  :)

That recipe might go well on a cedar plank placed on the grill.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1062 on: March 29, 2011, 11:04:10 am »
Just the word "crusted" in combination with fish sounds great to me Denny.  :)

That recipe might go well on a cedar plank placed on the grill.

I think the cedar might overpower it.  I'll save that for wild Chinook salmon!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #1063 on: March 29, 2011, 11:06:42 am »

I've got a recipe for cashew crusted halibut that has Parmesan in it.  Just a bit, but it really ups the flavor.  OTOH, I'd never just put Parm directly onto the fish.

OK, that does sound good.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1064 on: March 29, 2011, 11:07:12 am »

OK, that does sound good.

I'll post it when I get home today.

www.dennybrew.com