Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 482577 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1035 on: March 26, 2011, 08:48:59 pm »
Lookin good.  Served on rolls?

Hey, do you let the meat come to room temp before throwing it on the grill?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1036 on: March 26, 2011, 08:54:54 pm »
we ate it sliced as seen with potatoes with onions and peppers and rosemary garlic bread from a local very nice bakery we have in town.  a vietnamese-american girl trained in france.  a treat for us down here.

i pulled this out three+ hours before it hit the grill.  
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1037 on: March 26, 2011, 09:10:47 pm »

I try to do the same. Seems to me it makes a big difference in cooking time. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1038 on: March 26, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »

i've thought about hot tubbing, but leaving it out seems to work well for me. 

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1039 on: March 27, 2011, 08:01:34 am »
I like using tri-tip for making chili. The meat texture really lends itself well for that but I haven't tried Q'ing one yet. That sounds great and looks even better deepsouth.

Great lookin' Q as usual!  8)
Ron Price

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #1040 on: March 27, 2011, 10:02:07 am »
I like using tri-tip for making chili. The meat texture really lends itself well for that but I haven't tried Q'ing one yet. That sounds great and looks even better deepsouth.

Do you cube the tri-tip for chili, or have it ground?  I've been trying various chili recipes looking for "the one", and read somewhere that coarse-ground (chili grind) tri-tips are excellent in chili.  I don't have a meat grinder, so the butcher would have to do it for me, but it sounds delicious!
John Childs

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1041 on: March 27, 2011, 10:31:20 am »

i've thought about hot tubbing, but leaving it out seems to work well for me. 

I've done that too in a pinch. It actually works well if the meat is vac-packed.

Do you cube the tri-tip for chili, or have it ground?  I've been trying various chili recipes looking for "the one", and read somewhere that coarse-ground (chili grind) tri-tips are excellent in chili.  I don't have a meat grinder, so the butcher would have to do it for me, but it sounds delicious!

Tri-tip is bottom sirloin so it should make great chili! Though I'd do it on the grill first then cube or grind.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1042 on: March 27, 2011, 12:25:59 pm »

I recommend grinding but that's just my preference. I prefer a more consistent texture for my chili and a "chili grind" allows for that. Just ask the butcher to give you a "chili grind".

I also like Euge's recommendation of grilling then grinding if you have the ability that sounds like a great idea.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1043 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:23 pm »
One could roughly chop the chilled cooked meat then pulse it in a food-processor to break it up.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1044 on: March 28, 2011, 02:50:26 am »
we ate it sliced as seen with potatoes with onions and peppers and rosemary garlic bread from a local very nice bakery we have in town.  a vietnamese-american girl trained in france.  a treat for us down here.

They sell Bánh mì there? If so, and you haven't tried it, get some. Now that's a sandwich.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1045 on: March 28, 2011, 07:17:52 am »
we decided it was time for some homemade pasta again and i had one package of shrimp left in the freezer along with a pound of crabmeat, so i figured alfredo would be on the menu yesterday. the missus worked all weekend, so it was quite a job to get the necessary hour here and hour there to make this, but the baby co-operated and i got it done.

pasta is....

7.5 oz all purpose flour
3.5 oz semolina flour
3 eggs
1.5 tbs olive oil
pinch of salt (large)

alfredo is....

2 cloves chopped garlic
2 green onions
quart bag of shrimp
1 lb crabmeat
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 cups grated parmesan regiano
1/4 cup butter
2 tbs olive oil
pepper to taste
fresh parsley to garnish

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1046 on: March 28, 2011, 07:30:19 am »
One of my favorite Italian Pasta dishes is Seafood Alfredo. I like to use Locatelli cheese in the sauce as it gives a nice spicyness to the sauce. Very nice deepsouth. Homemade pasta really makes that dish come together nicely.
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #1047 on: March 28, 2011, 07:57:31 am »
Italians seem to have a thing against cheese and fish/seafood, but I've never really had that problem, especially with shrimp.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1048 on: March 28, 2011, 08:19:14 am »
Italians seem to have a thing against cheese and fish/seafood, but I've never really had that problem, especially with shrimp.

i'm italian and the wife and i were talking about that last night.  i've had some really nice fish dishes with chesse as a component.  also some great shrimp and crabmeat au gratin. 

but, over in the motherland, i don't recall ever seeing a fish dish with cheese in it.

AHA# 196703

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1049 on: March 28, 2011, 08:44:10 am »

I was watching a "Chopped" episode last week and one of the judges acted like cheese and seafood was against the law or something.  I'm not sure I understand why.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995