Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 476805 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1005 on: March 12, 2011, 10:21:10 pm »
Since I had my big smoker grill built my old beloved Brinkmann has sat lonely on the sidelines.  But last week I was poking around in the barn and found a rotisserie I bought at a garage sale about 10 years ago, still unopened in the box.  I spent about 4 hours last weekend modifying the Brinkmann to accommodate the rotisserie and tonight I tried it out. 
I roasted a chicken over charcoal and pecan wood, and it turned out great.  It's going to take a few tries to get the heat intensity and charcoal placement figured out but the family is stoked about having another cooking option.  My son was not so happy, he hoped to be able to take the old grill home in Texas.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1006 on: March 13, 2011, 01:57:18 am »
Speaking of modifications, has anyone ever modified an old gas grill to use with charcoal?  I think I'm going to take the burners out of my old one and add a grate.  Anything else I should think about?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #1007 on: March 13, 2011, 07:06:10 am »
I've never "modified" one.  But I did have one that the regulator died on and wasn't worth fixing so I just took the tank off and started using charcoal in it.  Worked fine.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1008 on: March 13, 2011, 08:40:28 am »
Speaking of modifications, has anyone ever modified an old gas grill to use with charcoal?  I think I'm going to take the burners out of my old one and add a grate.  Anything else I should think about?

You should take into account the grease and spent coal falling through the grate. I don't know what kind of grill you're using but it probably has a slot in the bottom for grease collection, in any event you may want to consider a charcaol catch basin below the grill housing for ease of removing grease and ash.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1009 on: March 13, 2011, 03:13:15 pm »

You should take into account the grease and spent coal falling through the grate. I don't know what kind of grill you're using but it probably has a slot in the bottom for grease collection, in any event you may want to consider a charcaol charcoal catch basin below the grill housing for ease of removing grease and ash.

+1

My neighbor has 2 modified gas grills and they appear to work well for him. He'll fire them both up with wood when feeding the extended family and friends. The wood burns down to coals, and it appears to work really well. At least the food I've had from them tastes great.

I'd look into the dampers though. You gotta have some sort of air-flow control.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
Re: BBQ Style Heat Gun
« Reply #1010 on: March 13, 2011, 03:54:17 pm »

Took some pics before lunch...

Smoked Chuck tacos!

I did some brined ribs and a chuck roast in the Egg yesterday. The ribs took 5 hours and the chuck roast 9- with a foiling mid-way.

All I did was pepper the ribs. They turned out perfect. The chuck got S&P and was coming apart. At 3am (Spring-forward >:() any pic taking inclinations were absent.

But I did take a video starting the fire! Please enjoy...

Heatgun BBQ Firestarter
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1011 on: March 13, 2011, 04:06:39 pm »
[Slobber] That looks yummy![/slobber]

Need to know more about this heat gun. Please elaborate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:10:15 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1012 on: March 13, 2011, 04:18:37 pm »
[Slobber] That looks yummy![/slobber]

Need to know more about this heat gun. Please elaborate.

Thank you.

The heatgun is a Craftsman that'll go to 1050F, fairly expensive since it has Steinel guts but I think a $9 Harbor-Freight jobbie would work too. Several of my colleagues have bought the HF heatgun based on my fire-lighting testimonial. They haven't got back to me on how well it works for them.

As long as I have an outlet and the gun I will never light another pit any other way.

Think I will go and get some more ribs and do them this evening. They never seem to last very long... ;)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1013 on: March 13, 2011, 04:23:37 pm »
i did my very first spare ribs today on the egg.  they turned out very good.  most moist ribs i've ever cooked....  spritzed them with apple juice, apple cider vinegar and cigar city jai lai oaked ipa....  seasoned one rack with simply marvelous season all sweet and spicy and the other half with season all and cherry.  sauced with blues hog the last 45 minutes or so.....

thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:30:56 pm by deepsouth »
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1014 on: March 13, 2011, 04:25:16 pm »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1015 on: March 13, 2011, 05:45:03 pm »
You should take into account the grease and spent coal falling through the grate. I don't know what kind of grill you're using but it probably has a slot in the bottom for grease collection, in any event you may want to consider a charcaol catch basin below the grill housing for ease of removing grease and ash.
Good call.

I'd look into the dampers though. You gotta have some sort of air-flow control.
Another great point.  I can drill some holes and add some metal plates that can be moved to adjust the air flow.  Should be easy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1016 on: March 13, 2011, 07:17:28 pm »
Deepsouth congratulations on the "first time"... I take it's on the Egg and not first time ever... :D

Just threw two more racks of St Louis cut in the egg. I rubbed the ribs with rice vinegar first and then added the secret rub. First time with vinegar myself. Got the idea from the bbq pit boys on youtube. The rub penetrated the meat immediately.

Harbor Freight Drill Master 96289 $12.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html

On order 8)

Press it into service immediately. Life is too short to waste it lighting fires... ;D

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1017 on: March 13, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »
Thanks for the rib tip. Will have to check into that.

These were my first spares ever.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #1018 on: March 13, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »
Those spares look amazing deepsouth!  I also slather mine in yellow mustard before applying rub.  But I may look into the vinegar tip euge mentioned.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1019 on: March 13, 2011, 08:00:09 pm »
Thanks for the rib tip. Will have to check into that.

These were my first spares ever.

Well that's even better! You'll do lots of em in the future I bet!