Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So you want to be a brewer  (Read 39904 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: So you want to be a brewer
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 08:48:58 am »
The element that I see most often neglected is that most small start ups that actually turn profitable don't just do beer, they do food too.  And they do it well.

Sure, but that involves a restaurant, which is a different animal. You better have a good chef and you better have a good , experienced manager. I'm not seeing a profitable brewpub starting under 250K, though.

Offline wckedpete

• 1st Kit
  • If I really want it, I will make it myself
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 03:14:00 pm »
So I did all that the article said. I pulled a 12 hour day just yesterday and sweated my ass off in the brewhouse after a couple hours of cleaning brite tanks and a beer transfer. I do understand the appeal of brewing beer and getting paid for it. The first day all you do is keg and stack kegs, you will know if you are cut out for being a pro. The up side is i am getting in great shape, I get free beer (that I made), and I get satisfaction from talking with the male homebrew groupies. To sum it up, Brewing is glamourous, the rest of the s*** that is involved isn't and you never hear anyone talk about it. Just keep the office job, kegs weigh 160 lbs when they are full. You can get a lot of the same results from homebrewing. Plus, then you are the brewmaster!

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2013, 10:27:39 am »
Great discussion. Good points all the way around. I'm a home brewer. That's it. When some one likes my beer and pays me a compliment, I smile and thank them. I have a ton of respect for anyone with the guts to start their own business. Any business. Would I work in a brewery if I just got to play with the equipment, create recipes and flap my gums about beer all day? Hell, yeah! Who wouldn't? But I'm sure there's a lot more than that...see all the comments above.

So, you guys that have the drive, talent, resources...Thanks! I appreciate the effort and I'll  come by and buy a pint.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on volunteers. I met a guy who is opening a brewery with tap room and a HBS. I was going to offer to "help." I want him to succeed. He's :30 minutes closer than my current LHBS. Maybe I'll reconsider.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline ericbee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2013, 11:25:46 am »
I am 32, but with no kids in site. Not until the wife finishes up her degree at least. I recently found some commercial property for a good price with a 4 bed 3 bath apartment attached which I could rent out that would be perfect to start. I am also convinced that I can be successful at anything I really put my mind to, but there in lies the problem. I am not 100% sure I could handle it. Without quiting the day job, I could still produce enough beer in the beginning, but it would come to a point where I would have to quit. By that point, the financial still don't quite make sense. I will still be trying to pay off everything while having just said goodbye to most of my income. I think I am stuck waiting for that lottery ticket or wealthy long lost relative that just so happens to think I deserve their vast fortune to pass.

Offline dflittle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »
Good article. A lot like starting a restaurant or being a working, as opposed to TV, chef. Lots of long hard hours. I've done the chef thing...loved it but when I was ready to stuff an associate manager into the steamer one Sunday morning I went back to IT. Still cook, a lot, and recently started the homebrew "hobby". I'm thinking this "hobby" will get out of control like my BBQ fetish did a few years back and I got inot competition...burned out after 5 years and now just cook and que for fun! Working in beer, bbq, or other service/food industries is hard, hot, dangerous, and some of the most rewarding work you can ever do...but it's not for everyone that gets a compliment on the beer/food. Again, good article.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 12:50:51 pm »
Good article. A lot like starting a restaurant or being a working, as opposed to TV, chef. Lots of long hard hours. I've done the chef thing...loved it but when I was ready to stuff an associate manager into the steamer one Sunday morning I went back to IT. Still cook, a lot, and recently started the homebrew "hobby". I'm thinking this "hobby" will get out of control like my BBQ fetish did a few years back and I got inot competition...burned out after 5 years and now just cook and que for fun! Working in beer, bbq, or other service/food industries is hard, hot, dangerous, and some of the most rewarding work you can ever do...but it's not for everyone that gets a compliment on the beer/food. Again, good article.

Thanks for your insights...good to have you here!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2013, 03:46:18 pm »
I am 32, but with no kids in site. Not until the wife finishes up her degree at least. I recently found some commercial property for a good price with a 4 bed 3 bath apartment attached which I could rent out that would be perfect to start. I am also convinced that I can be successful at anything I really put my mind to, but there in lies the problem. I am not 100% sure I could handle it. Without quiting the day job, I could still produce enough beer in the beginning, but it would come to a point where I would have to quit. By that point, the financial still don't quite make sense. I will still be trying to pay off everything while having just said goodbye to most of my income. I think I am stuck waiting for that lottery ticket or wealthy long lost relative that just so happens to think I deserve their vast fortune to pass.

The TTB gives extra scrutiny to attached residences.  They will approve, but it's a tougher hurdle.  My wife and I are doing the hobby brewer thing.  We brew about 2bbls a week, and sell it all.  And we make a little money at it, but no way can we quite our day jobs.  We are working on a taproom, and unless the gvt shuts down tonight, should have the modified floor plan approved.  But the we have to staff it, and that just adds more complexity to life.   

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2013, 08:05:18 am »

The TTB gives extra scrutiny to attached residences.  They will approve, but it's a tougher hurdle.  My wife and I are doing the hobby brewer thing.  We brew about 2bbls a week, and sell it all.  And we make a little money at it, but no way can we quite our day jobs.  We are working on a taproom, and unless the gvt shuts down tonight, should have the modified floor plan approved.  But the we have to staff it, and that just adds more complexity to life.   

So it can/should be pointed out that the shutdown has closed the TTB for approval of labels and permits.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

narvin

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2013, 08:32:27 am »
No one to enforce the selling of unlicensed beer.   Everyone over to my house, $3 pints!

If the state asks, it's a private club for bearded men only.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2013, 09:08:27 am »
No one to enforce the selling of unlicensed beer.   Everyone over to my house, $3 pints!

On the flipside, no one to process and approve Brewers Notices right now, which does not make me happy. >:(
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2013, 09:37:26 am »

On the flipside, no one to process and approve Brewers Notices right now, which does not make me happy. >:(

Yep, we've got a revised floor plan and new trade name application in.  Both were at Managers Disposition.  Floor plan is no big deal, but we could sure use that new trade name.  uuggghhhh

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2013, 10:31:45 am »

It's a harsh reality. I really didn't think the shutdown would occur. Hope they can get this thing worked out real soon.
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2013, 04:11:34 pm »
I can not submit my label for another can.
I guess I will wait.

I will go for party of bearded men.
I will fit in.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »
I kinda like it. Its so rare that libertarians get their dream come true, even though I know it won't last.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2013, 05:51:05 pm »
I kinda like it. Its so rare that libertarians get their dream come true, even though I know it won't last.

Ha...this made me laugh.   ;D
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial