Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finished 1BBL system  (Read 23758 times)

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
Finished 1BBL system
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:49:52 pm »
I have been a homebrewer for 3 years, I only did 3 extract brews before going all grain, I just flat love to brew. I built this from the ground up except for the Pots, it is a automated RIMS system with (2) 32 Jet jet burners, and a 40 plate chiller. The build (stand plumbing and the electronics) took about 3.5 months. I had help from a few friends (Tim E, Tim B and Caleb) Thanks guys. I hope this leads to a Nano brewery in the future.

In dog beers I've had 1

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Finished 1BBL system
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:16:19 pm »
Looks very cool! Have you used it yet? I ask because it looks like you haven't left space for exhaust fumes to escape from under your pots. This would lead to low oxygen, poor heating efficiency, and lots of CO and soot.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:26:19 pm »
Looks very cool! Have you used it yet? I ask because it looks like you haven't left space for exhaust fumes to escape from under your pots. This would lead to low oxygen, poor heating efficiency, and lots of CO and soot.

Oh yes funny you mention that, there are slots cut out now, we did 2 test runs with water and worked out all the heat issues and exhaust issues, and propane tank freezing up. We brewed (see fly sparge Pic) on 3-30 for the first time, calculated a heavy scottish ale at 72% and hit all the marks, had some issues with volume of water and 82 pounds of grain, worked it out and will be tasting this weekend.
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:34:13 pm »
Nice!!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:06 pm »
It's great to see how brewers are really upping their game with the equipment configurations and selections! Awesome...! Fantastic job!

Interested in how fast you blow through a standard tank of propane with those particular ring burners. I have the NG versions and they are greedy... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline lupulinmax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:18:12 pm »
Excellent rig - great work!  I'm curious what your propane tank freezing solution was?

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:21:15 pm »
It's great to see how brewers are really upping their game with the equipment configurations and selections! Awesome...! Fantastic job!

Interested in how fast you blow through a standard tank of propane with those particular ring burners. I have the NG versions and they are greedy... ;)

I can blow thru 7 gallons on one brew, yes quite greedy, use a 5 as backup!!
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »
Excellent rig - great work!  I'm curious what your propane tank freezing solution was?

Stuck the the tank in a barrel of water, did the trick.
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline lupulinmax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 03:31:35 pm »
The tank in water solution has been my approach too.  Thanks.

Offline bentwood

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 03:48:21 pm »
Looks nice.  How is that cooling rig working for you?  I went with a convoluted chiller and am not liking it. 
Who did you go with for the tanks?

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 10:02:44 pm »
Looks nice.  How is that cooling rig working for you?  I went with a convoluted chiller and am not liking it. 

I love it, it went from 210 to 68 at about a gallon or a little less every minute, What is a convoluted chiller?
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline bretniday

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 11:55:16 pm »
 Nice Job! Stout kettles??

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:54:33 am »
Nice Job! Stout kettles??

Yes, Thank you
Wasn't a big decision since I live about 20 miles from their warehouse.
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline bentwood

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 09:26:02 am »

I love it, it went from 210 to 68 at about a gallon or a little less every minute, What is a convoluted chiller?

It's a coil chiller where a convoluted (twisted) copper pipe runs through a larger coiled copper pipe which carries the water for cooling. Mine is nowhere near as efficient as yours and requires too much wort circulation leading to cloudy beer. Need a PC just not decided on which one yet

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 04:31:12 pm »
Gorgeous system!  Well done!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial