Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygen aeration with tank  (Read 4614 times)

Offline imperialstout

• Cellarman
Oxygen aeration with tank
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:03:30 pm »
Need advice on pressure setting and SS aeration stone size. Have the oxygen tank and regulator from my gas welding set up. What pressure setting do most of you use with an adjustable regulator. Think increasing the pressure until I see bubbles and backing off a bit will work. A ballpark initial starting pressure setting will help.

Air stone size. Commonly see .5 and 2 micron SS aeration stones. Thinking the .5 would be best as the smaller bubbles should get absorbed quicker.

Is the Williams air wand worth it? Thinking the stone at the end of vinyl tubing may float when oxygen is introduced. The Williams wand gets good reviews, just wondering if the stone and tubing works as well?

Just discovered Morebeer also carries a wand, $29.50 with free shipping. http://morebeer.com/view_product/18255//Diffusion_Stone_-_5_Micron_26%22_long
Beats the William's one for $34.90 plus $7.50 shipping if it is as good. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:55:44 pm by imperialstout »

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
Re: Oxygen aeration with tank
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:18:36 pm »
I bought the stone/wand from williams and its been working great for me. I don't normally leave it sitting in the bucket while aerating, i always swirl it around for the duration but its pretty heavy,  i doubt it will float with the o2 going thru it.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline imperialstout

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:23 am »
Thanks Tony. Another vote for the William's wand that I most likely will buy. Was only concerned with the SS stone in just the flex tubing (no wand) floating, as some says it does, when the oxygen is on.

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:15:38 am »
I used the stone with flex tubing for 10 plus years. I found it was hard trying to move the stone where I wanted it. I bought the wand (can't recall if it's Williams) and love it, the flex tube is retired.

Bruce

Offline jonsteenbergen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:41:24 am »
Another vote for the Williams Wand, purchased one about a month ago and used it on my last two brews. I love it.

Jon

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:54:01 am »
Yet another vote for the Williams Wand.  I found with the vinyl tubing and stone for years...no matter what I tried , the stone would not go where I wanted it to.

The wand is magical  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:43:37 am »
Never tried the tubing, but I've been using the wand for years.  Love it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:26:51 am »
Yep, me too on the wand.  Got mine for Christmas and love it!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:39:38 am »
My aeration stone is on the end of a piece of 3/16" tubing.  I can tell you it doesn't float.  Seems to work fine.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 12:20:51 pm »
I just bought an aeration pump from Norther Brewer with flex tubing.  Glad I saw this string and am looking at the wand.  In regards to use, how long does it take to aeerate a 5 gallon batch and do you move the stone around every few minutes to different spots in the bucket?
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27:13 pm »
I just bought an aeration pump from Norther Brewer with flex tubing.  Glad I saw this string and am looking at the wand.  In regards to use, how long does it take to aeerate a 5 gallon batch and do you move the stone around every few minutes to different spots in the bucket?

I aerate for 60 seconds for a normal brew and 90 seconds for a high gravity brew.  Yes, I move the stone around as I go.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:31:17 pm »

I aerate for 60 seconds for a normal brew and 90 seconds for a high gravity brew.  Yes, I move the stone around as I go.

Dave

Thanks.  That's awesome, I can't wait to use mine this weekend!
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 01:18:32 pm »

Dave

Dave - are you using a pump or pure O2?  Those times sound like O2.  With an aquarium pump, I think you need to go longer.  I always ran the pump until foam came out of the neck of the carboy.  IIRC, it is hard to over oxygenate with an aquarium pump.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:56:16 pm »

Dave

Dave - are you using a pump or pure O2?  Those times sound like O2.  With an aquarium pump, I think you need to go longer.  I always ran the pump until foam came out of the neck of the carboy.  IIRC, it is hard to over oxygenate with an aquarium pump.

You are correct sir!  I thought we were talking O2 not pump.  I'd do what you said with a pump.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:04 pm »
You are correct sir!  I thought we were talking O2 not pump.  I'd do what you said with a pump.

Dave

No worries.  We were, originally.  But we have strayed somewhat.