Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: flaked oats  (Read 10001 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
flaked oats
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:45:19 am »
I'm doing a nut brown tomorrow. Hopefully. My recipe calls for 1# of flaked oats. Because Idaho is a cursed state, I cannot get a hold of flaked oats. Will just plain old Quaker rolled oats work? Is basically just for mouthfeel, right?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: flaked oats
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:46:25 am »
Quick oats would be about the same.  If you use regular oat,meal, you'll need to cook it first.  Quick oats can go right in the mash.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:09:56 am »
Sweet! Thanks Denny.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:25 pm »
Quick oats would be about the same.  If you use regular oat,meal, you'll need to cook it first.  Quick oats can go right in the mash.

Ehh???? Regular oats cook in like 3-4 minutes. I've always put them in the mash.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »
You guys got me wondering, so I checked the quaker site and it says that they made the same except quick oats are cut smaller. I thought there would be more to it.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:53:06 pm »

Ehh???? Regular oats cook in like 3-4 minutes. I've always put them in the mash.

Not the "regular" oats I'm familiar with.  They take a good 30 min.  I'm talking about the steel cut oats (IIRC).  Quick oats are faster and instant oats are ready in a couple minutes.

Here's an example....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »

Not the "regular" oats I'm familiar with.  They take a good 30 min.  I'm talking about the steel cut oats (IIRC).  Quick oats are faster and instant oats are ready in a couple minutes.

Here's an example....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

mmmm steal cut oats are delic. They are also totally raw. but regular non-quick quaker are rolled oats. pre-gelentinized (that is NOT spelled right)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:27 am »

Ehh? ??? Regular oats cook in like 3-4 minutes. I've always put them in the mash.

Here's an example....

Around here you can buy steel cut, regular "old-fashioned" rolled oats, quick oats, and instant. Quick oats are just rolled thinner than old-fashioned and cook in about 2 minutes instead of 4. Instant oats is dust that cooks in seconds.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 06:53:06 am »
OK, I'm confused (not a hard thing to do)  ???

Are any of the above the same as the flaked oats you would buy at the LHBS?  What is the difference?  Which can you toss in the mash?  Or do they all need some cooking?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 07:37:57 am »
Dave you can use the old fashioned oats from the store( cook time 4 minutes) you will be good just add to mash. As Denny says the ones that take 30 +  minutes to make, you will need to cook first before adding to mash. I hope that helps.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:30 am »
I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (for clarity, these: http://www.soap.com/p/quaker-old-fashioned-oats-42-oz-2-pk-416430?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_term=DCS-3248B&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1527678039&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla)

The wife and kids eat them, so I have them on hand all the time.

If you bagged them up, I don't think you'd notice a difference between these and flaked oats.

I have never toasted them before adding them to the mash, though I always plan to do so next time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:20:00 am »
Anything that looks like a flake can be put directly in the mash. Steel cut oats look like whole grains that have been cut, but not smashed.

Steel cut oats...
http://www.almightydad.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/steel_cut_oats_n.jpg
AHA Member since 2006

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 02:20:18 pm »
Thanks all.  Got it!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 09:23:08 am »
I tried a sample of my recent oatmeal stout which underattenuated at about 1.020, for a 3 gallon BIAB batch and a pound of oats, I couldn't really taste them.  I used quick oats.  Perhaps the underattenuation covers up the flavor/mouth feel you'd get from the oats?
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:37:01 am »
I tried a sample of my recent oatmeal stout which underattenuated at about 1.020, for a 3 gallon BIAB batch and a pound of oats, I couldn't really taste them.  I used quick oats.  Perhaps the underattenuation covers up the flavor/mouth feel you'd get from the oats?

I've never really noticed any flavor or mouthfeel from using oats.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong or maybe my perceptions are screwed up.  Or maybe everyone else in the world is fooling themselves!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com