Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OK, don't laugh too hard  (Read 12519 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
OK, don't laugh too hard
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:54:28 pm »
As many of you know, we jsut opened a nano brewery, production only. 

The name of our comapny is "Dungeness Brewing Company" as we started out homebrewing about a mile from the Dungeness River in Dequim, WA.  And, the dungy is quite popular here. 

Anyway, a town about 50 miles away (Port Townsend) has a Strangebrew fest every winter.  It's a blast of a weekend.  Very strange beers on top from area breweries.  From a hellfire pepper to orange creamcycle, rootbeer flavored beer, a Salt and Pepper beer.  Just very wierd stuff.  Some are actually pretty good.  LOL

Anyway, my little pee brain thought of brewing a crab flavored beer.  I've seen recipes for a bacon beer, so why not.  A quick search found one guy thinking of using salt free Old Bay, yet no crab.  That does make sense, but wondering what someone else might offer. 

(OK, you can laugh a little bit......)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: OK, don't laugh too hard
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:40 pm »
I imagine it would be like brewing an oyster stout, no?  I say go for it!

narvin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:35:08 pm »
That's funny, I had a thought today about brewing a sushi lager with nori and sake. The thought of adding crab to make a California roll beer crossed my mind, but I just can't bring myself to add meat to my beer...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:16:53 pm »
At the 1996 NHC in New Orleans one of the Crescent City guys made a mudbug beer for the keg-only competition.  IIRC he boiled a batch of crawfish with no spices in the water, then used that water to brew an all grain batch.  It really tasted like mudbugs.  I had one glass.  It was pretty cool.  A second glass was not tempting though.  It wasn't a session beer. :P
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 01:47:18 am »
Mic, cook your crabs, eat the meat, then throw the shells in for the last 5 minutes of the boil.  It will get you the flavor without wasting the crab meat.  Don't use Old Bay, that stuff is great on blue crabs but I think it would ruin Dungeness.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 02:48:35 am »
I use Zatarain's liquid crab boil.  You can add it drop-wise until you reach the desired spice level.

However, I would not use it for a crab beer. Any crab boil is way too spicy.   Tom's idea about boiling shells is a good one.  Lots of flavor in them shells.

BTW it's good to see you chiming in again Tom.  Vacation?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:39:40 am »
I use Zatarain's liquid crab boil.  You can add it drop-wise until you reach the desired spice level.

However, I would not use it for a crab beer. Any crab boil is way too spicy.   Tom's idea about boiling shells is a good one.  Lots of flavor in them shells.

I know this one!  He is, as am I, frustrated that the "new" button doesn't work on anything but IE, so he only looks at the forum once a day at the very end of the day.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
As many of you know, we jsut opened a nano brewery, production only. 

The name of our comapny is "Dungeness Brewing Company" as we started out homebrewing about a mile from the Dungeness River in Dequim, WA.  And, the dungy is quite popular here. 

Anyway, a town about 50 miles away (Port Townsend) has a Strangebrew fest every winter.  It's a blast of a weekend.  Very strange beers on top from area breweries.  From a hellfire pepper to orange creamcycle, rootbeer flavored beer, a Salt and Pepper beer.  Just very wierd stuff.  Some are actually pretty good.  LOL

Anyway, my little pee brain thought of brewing a crab flavored beer.  I've seen recipes for a bacon beer, so why not.  A quick search found one guy thinking of using salt free Old Bay, yet no crab.  That does make sense, but wondering what someone else might offer. 

(OK, you can laugh a little bit......)

Not to say that it isn't weird, but it's been done.  A couple years ago John Maier decided to brew a batch of oyster stout.  Not to be outdone, Nate Sampson (at the time brewer at the Eugene City Brewery/Rogue) made a Dungeness crab porter.  It was....interesting.  Get in touch with me if you want his email to ask him about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 09:39:24 am »

I know this one!  He is, as am I, frustrated that the "new" button doesn't work on anything but IE, so he only looks at the forum once a day at the very end of the day.

FWIW, I've been keeping in touch with the IT staff about this.  They did a couple tests last week and have a plan of action.  Finally....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 12:48:20 am »

This is, in fact, the truth.  Well, that and I'm having a really busy summer.  There was some vacation in there, a bunch of work, some brewing.  I cleaned 8 carboys today, and there's 8 lbs of pork butt smoking over pecan wood right now (it's only up to 178F, I'll be up a while) so there's that ;D

By the time I check the forum at night either the questions have been answered or there's too much to read so I skip through a lot.  But putting dungeness crab in beer would be a crime, I couldn't let Mic do it. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »
Anything with old bay seasoning and crabs is a GO if you ask me.  It's like going to the crab shack and ordering a beer all in the same step. 

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 09:01:40 am »

This is, in fact, the truth.  Well, that and I'm having a really busy summer.  There was some vacation in there, a bunch of work, some brewing.  I cleaned 8 carboys today, and there's 8 lbs of pork butt smoking over pecan wood right now (it's only up to 178F, I'll be up a while) so there's that ;D

By the time I check the forum at night either the questions have been answered or there's too much to read so I skip through a lot.  But putting dungeness crab in beer would be a crime, I couldn't let Mic do it. ;)

LOL.  Thanks Tom.

But you know over here we have more Dungy's than we know what to do with.  Just this past weekend, we got 15 more in the freezer.  And we still got about a month left of the season......  I can't believe they sell them for $20 a piece at Pike Place.   

Offline punatic

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:53 am »

But you know over here we have more Dungy's than we know what to do with.  Just this past weekend, we got 15 more in the freezer.  And we still got about a month left of the season......  I can't believe they sell people buy them for $20 a piece at Pike Place.

Fixed it for you.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:24 am »

But you know over here we have more Dungy's than we know what to do with.  Just this past weekend, we got 15 more in the freezer.  And we still got about a month left of the season......  I can't believe they sell people buy them for $20 a piece at Pike Place.

Fixed it for you.

LOL.  Good call dude