Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Ice to cool wort?  (Read 27594 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Using Ice to cool wort?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 03:48:55 pm »
i fell your pain bro (original poster).  i took the temp of the water coming out of my hose solidly for over 5 minutes and it "got down" to 102.

HAHA exactly. I think it would be almost pointless to get an Immersion Chiller.....
Not at all.  With a small pump you could take water from an ice bath and pump it through an immersion chiller.  With enough ice and time you could even get your wort down to lager temps.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Using Ice to cool wort?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 05:13:11 am »
I think it is probably OK to do it for a while, just realize it is not the best solution, and you can by all the parts at a hardware store to make an immersion chiller for about $45 or less, and it would take you 5 min. to put it together.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 01:16:28 pm »
i fell your pain bro (original poster).  i took the temp of the water coming out of my hose solidly for over 5 minutes and it "got down" to 102.

HAHA exactly. I think it would be almost pointless to get an Immersion Chiller.....
Not at all.  With a small pump you could take water from an ice bath and pump it through an immersion chiller.  With enough ice and time you could even get your wort down to lager temps.

+1.  This is my next project so I can get my 10G lager brews down to pitching temps without having to put it in the chest freezer overnight.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »
so if i wanted to cut down on my water use, i could just fill some plastic bottles with water, freeze them, sanitize them, and drop them in my wort instead of an IC?  hell, for that matter would i even need to sanitize them?  then just refreeze them when i was done?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 03:51:51 pm »

+1.  This is my next project so I can get my 10G lager brews down to pitching temps without having to put it in the chest freezer overnight.....

Dave

I freeze up ten 20oz soda bottles. Sanitize with starsan right before dropping them in the wort when it hits 90*. My tap water is 88* right now so the IC does the hard part. The bottles drop 6 gallons down to less than 55* fairly quickly. That's the easy part. ;D

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 03:54:01 pm »
so if i wanted to cut down on my water use, i could just fill some plastic bottles with water, freeze them, sanitize them, and drop them in my wort instead of an IC?  hell, for that matter would i even need to sanitize them?  then just refreeze them when i was done?

It's going to be slow that way. I would sanitize them as they will be in contact with wort below 180* but it's worth a try. it's not going to be as quick as using store bought pre-sterilized ice and a partial boil but...

By the way, a friend of mine brewed his first batch (partial mash, partial boil) and we used ice to top up and chill and it went from the kettle (near 200*) to the fermenter with ice and dropped to 55* nearly instantly
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:54:50 pm »
It does work? I guess my math was WAY off. I don't know any other reason not to.

your math was correct if it was water at 32 degrees and not ice. ice absorbs has a specific heat that is absorbed in going from ice at 32 to water at 32.  in addition the ice is probably colder than 32.

It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 liter of water 1 degree Celsius.

It takes 80 calories to state change ice from solid to liquid form without changing its temperature at all.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 01:03:32 pm »

It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 liter of water 1 degree Celsius.

I only wish.  That would be awesome.  It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of pure water 1 degree C.
1 gram of pure water in liquid phase is 1mL in volume (at 4 degrees C)
Which means it takes 1000 calories to raise 1L (1000mL) of water 1 degree C.

1000 calories = 1 kilocalorie 
Mayhap you meant it takes 1kcal to raise 1L of water 1 degree C?

But hey, I like turtles!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 01:44:36 pm »
I only wish.  That would be awesome.  It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of pure water 1 degree C.

But hey, I like turtles!

Yes 1kcal.  My bad.  The 1 calorie per liter thing probably came from a bad source that confused food calories (=kcal) with real calories.  Probably Bill Nye.

In any case it takes 80 times as much energy just to state change.  So to get from 0C ice to 0C water you need to throw enough energy in to get from 0C water to 80C water.

Offline punatic

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 03:15:02 pm »
I just rode my bike 12.5 miles.  The computer says I burned 290 calories (kcal ["food calories"]) doing so.  I burned enough energy during my ride to turn 402 grams of ice into steam.

Latent heat of fusion = 80cal/g
0C -> 100C = 100cal/g
Latent heat of vaporization = 542cal/g

Guess I wouldn't make too good of a steam engine would I?

But, I did see a honu (sea turtle) on my ride.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 09:21:44 am »

But hey, I like turtles!

Yes 1kcal.  My bad.  The 1 calorie per liter thing probably came from a bad source that confused food calories (=kcal) with real calories.  Probably Bill Nye.

In any case it takes 80 times as much energy just to state change.  So to get from 0C ice to 0C water you need to throw enough energy in to get from 0C water to 80C water.

You weren't completely wrong - 1 Calorie = 1000 calories (note capitalization).  The Calorie is the unit used in nutrition. Capitalization is not always followed though, leading to confusion.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:30 am »

You weren't completely wrong - 1 Calorie = 1000 calories (note capitalization).  The Calorie is the unit used in nutrition. Capitalization is not always followed though, leading to confusion.

This is stupid.  We should relabel everything to say kcal instead of cal.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »

Agreed
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline punatic

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 05:00:17 pm »

That would be a tonne of work!   8)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 06:18:31 am »

That would be a tonne of work!   8)

I bet if you were amp'd up, you'd get it done.