Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 233195 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Ethnic and Regional Cooking
« Reply #825 on: October 12, 2010, 11:32:09 pm »
My colleague made posole or pozole and we fed probably 20 people if not more.

It was delicious. Not very spicy which surprised me. More of a delicately seasoned red broth. Comments were: "just right" and "spiced perfectly!" Contrary to popular perception, Mexican cuisine is flavorful but is rarely picoso or hot. One can add hot ingredients if they want to, but grandma might not like it made in the dish. I'm the only anglo on my shift and usually I make the salsa!

Chopped ice-berg lettuce and the soup on top. Hominy, chicken breast and pork neck-bones. Squeeze of lime and eaten with a thick tostada. I think it was missing a little fresh cilantro and aguacate as a garnish, But maybe that was an oversight.

There wasn't a drop left.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #826 on: October 14, 2010, 08:20:34 am »
I love pozole. A little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant (should there be any other kinds???) makes an awesome one and gives you a small plate with turnips, white onions, fresh jalapenos and a seasoning blend to add to the soup at you own choosings. I may have to search out a recipe and try it at home.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #827 on: October 17, 2010, 06:48:39 pm »
I love pozole!  Somewhere buried in this thread are some photos of my pozole verde.  Mine isn't spicy either -- just flavorful.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #828 on: October 19, 2010, 07:41:59 am »
not sure where to put this, so i'll put it here....

shrimp and crabmeat alfredo i made from scratch....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #829 on: October 19, 2010, 09:58:25 am »
Awesome, that looks so good!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #830 on: October 19, 2010, 11:30:51 am »
Salivating! ;D

Cooking my lunch right now. Bean soup... :-\ Wish I had some shrimp right now!

I like making my own pasta, but don't find it to be significantly better than dried, with the exception of gnocci. They are alway better fresh.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #831 on: October 19, 2010, 12:47:33 pm »
Oh man, that looks awesome.

I wish we all lived closer together. Imagine the pot lucks we could have!!!
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #832 on: October 19, 2010, 12:57:27 pm »
Oh man, that looks awesome.

I wish we all lived closer together. Imagine the pot lucks we could have!!!

those would be some fine pot lucks!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #833 on: October 21, 2010, 02:21:15 pm »
Logging in after a couple weeks travelling the West, currently in Zion N.P....I have to say, I miss cooking!  Tired of paying through the nose for lackluster restaurant food.  I grilled peppers and Italian sausages last night, but with my extremely limited implements, being on a road trip and all, it is sort of like riding a bicycle with a broken leg in a cast.  Nice view though.

I did manage to pick up a couple bottles of slivovitz for a very low price of 11.99 in California at Trader Joes.  The Zwack brand, from Hungary...retails online closer to $30 so I happily bought three to take home!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #834 on: October 21, 2010, 02:26:29 pm »
Logging in after a couple weeks travelling the West

I was wondering what happened to you. 

C'mon Nic....Don't you know you have to let us know when your going on vacation.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #835 on: October 21, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »

C'mon Nic....Don't you know you have to let us know when your going on vacation.  ;D
He did, you just weren't paying attention.   ;D

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=165.msg46636#msg46636

Those look great!  I think the most I've smoked is 4 hours and I didn't see much coloring, except for maybe a slight darkening of the pepper jack (that may've been my imagination).  These pics make me want to do some straight away, but alas, I have to go on a lovely two week vacation this morning, at 6AM, driving across the southwest to california and back, seeing 5 national parks and generally relaxing, so it will have to wait til I get back, for shame.   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #836 on: October 21, 2010, 02:33:00 pm »

C'mon Nic....Don't you know you have to let us know when your going on vacation.  ;D
He did, you just weren't paying attention.   ;D

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=165.msg46636#msg46636

Those look great!  I think the most I've smoked is 4 hours and I didn't see much coloring, except for maybe a slight darkening of the pepper jack (that may've been my imagination).  These pics make me want to do some straight away, but alas, I have to go on a lovely two week vacation this morning, at 6AM, driving across the southwest to california and back, seeing 5 national parks and generally relaxing, so it will have to wait til I get back, for shame.   ;D

Tom ...I knew I could count on you to keep me straight.  Thanks.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #837 on: October 21, 2010, 03:00:35 pm »
"Logging in after a couple weeks travelling the West, currently in Zion N.P."

I had a great time at Zion a few years ago.  Hiked Angels Landing and the Narrows.  Nice Park!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #838 on: October 21, 2010, 04:35:58 pm »
Logging in after a couple weeks travelling the West, currently in Zion N.P....I have to say, I miss cooking!  Tired of paying through the nose for lackluster restaurant food.  I grilled peppers and Italian sausages last night, but with my extremely limited implements, being on a road trip and all, it is sort of like riding a bicycle with a broken leg in a cast.  Nice view though.

I did manage to pick up a couple bottles of slivovitz for a very low price of 11.99 in California at Trader Joes.  The Zwack brand, from Hungary...retails online closer to $30 so I happily bought three to take home!

Hey nic, good to have ya back.When do you get home? Come on man, get back to work they cant survive without you!

I didnt know Zwack made slivovica. Interesting.

Here is an interesting tid bit. In Hungary Zwack is called Unicum. Dont know why they change the name for US distributions.

Was it szilva palinka? or did it say Slivovitz or some other Hungarian word. I think the palinka is different no, not clear?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:20:20 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #839 on: October 21, 2010, 06:38:01 pm »
"Logging in after a couple weeks travelling the West, currently in Zion N.P."

I had a great time at Zion a few years ago.  Hiked Angels Landing and the Narrows.  Nice Park!

Maniac!    ;D   I think if I got in better shape and prepared properly I could do the Narrows, but Angels Landing, all the way to the top, good lord, I don't think I could ever do that.  But then, even me saying that is the sort of thing that makes me almost subconsciously resolve to do it.  My wife may want to bolster my life insurance before, though...

Cap, the slivo is marked slivovitz but I'm not sure if it has the palinka notation as well.  It's marked kosher and 3 years old, and is 47% ABV.  Here's the bottle for German markets, I think...the bottle shape is about the same.  My guess is that the imported label doesn't bother with Hungarian terminology to avoid confusion, it seems slivovitz has won out in America as the standard term for East/Central European plum brandy.